Sheffield as a student

Wherever she decides to go, please tell her to keep the noise down when going out and returning at night. Make sure she tells her friends to do the same. It sounds simple, but this simple act of consideration improves student/local relations immensely. At the moment if I hear one more bin being tipped at 3am I will not be responsible for my actions.

I'll definitely pass this on. I've tried to bring her up as a responsible and considerate human being, but students seem to think this doesn't apply to them don't they :(

---------- Post added 12-10-2016 at 15:58 ----------

I know its your daughter's choice ultimately but my daughter did last year at Liverpool and hated it, she was attacked in a nightclub by two women and then was walking home one night (even after I had advised against it) and a car pulled over and 4 lads tried to abduct her luckily a passer by came to her aid. She refused to go back after Easter and has now started a new course in Glasgow which by the way she loves! I know many a student go there and probably have a lovely time.

That sounds awful :(. Saldy I think those things are likely to happen in any big city, but crime in Liverpool is a concern as it has it's fair share of 'ne-er do wells!!!'

I'll definitely pass this on. I've tried to bring her up as a responsible and considerate human being, but students seem to think this doesn't apply to them don't they :(

---------- Post added 12-10-2016 at 15:58 ----------

That sounds awful :(. Saldy I think those things are likely to happen in any big city, but crime in Liverpool is a concern as it has it's fair share of 'ne-er do wells!!!'

Of course you are right and I think my daughter was probably unlucky, she is now very happy in Glasgow so its worked out well for her.

Liverpool we preferred the campus, and I think the Georgian area has been redeveloped incredibly well, plus the course had more research into areas daughter likes, but no really good countryside around, and possibly more antisocial issues?

The good thing about Liverpool is the great merseytravel transport links. The trains are fast, frequent and very cheap. You can be in Chester or Southport in no time at all.

Although they probably don't compare to the beauty and promixity of the Peaks to Sheffield, the Wirral, North Wales, Delamere Forest and the countryside East of Southport to the M6 is really varied. And you have miles and miles of lovely beaches.

Sheffield is a great University and area for students, it is very affordable and fun. The union is great and very pretty with lots to do. The night life, shopping and leisure are all inviting and enjoyable.

I dont think it is that black and white.

http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

UK population census data for the cities states:

" Sheffield – 552,698 Liverpool – 466,415"

However, if you take in the wider metropolitan areas

"Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189

South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601"

The entire article is pretty interesting and sets out how this potential nonsense of what actually consitutes the "biggest" cities in the UK can be totally skewed depending on what stats you bother to include or ignore.

This is ofc correct. the definition used is what counts. As long as thats clear from the outsey and people are comparing like with like I agree with you.

Just a quick update, visited again yesterday for an offer holders open day. Sadly the 'vibe' of the physics department this time wasn't so good and the research areas not to my daughter's liking, so Liverpool is going to be first choice, Sheffield insurance. Shame really as I liked Sheffield, but we'll still visit as overall both the Uni and City impressed us massively :)

I was offered University courses by Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Leeds and Sheffield. I went to each on an open day. The Sheffield offer required the lowest grades and Durham the highest. I could have accepted any of them based on the results I got. I chose Sheffield because it had the best vibe of all of the places I did on open day. That was 1993. I graduated in 1997.

I still live here and am raising my family in S10. I love Sheffield.

I was offered University courses by Durham, Bristol, Exeter, Leeds and Sheffield. I went to each on an open day. The Sheffield offer required the lowest grades and Durham the highest. I could have accepted any of them based on the results I got. I chose Sheffield because it had the best vibe of all of the places I did on open day. That was 1993. I graduated in 1997.

I still live here and am raising my family in S10. I love Sheffield.

It's maybe slightly different now, the UCAS process. Basically the students have to chose 5, go see them, then narrow it down to a first choice and an insurance. If you get the grades for your first choice then you go there! The insurance can only be of equal or lower grades, as a fall back. The other 3 choices entered forst time round once rejected are on longer an option. Glad you liked Sheffield. We did too!

Just a quick update, visited again yesterday for an offer holders open day. Sadly the 'vibe' of the physics department this time wasn't so good and the research areas not to my daughter's liking, so Liverpool is going to be first choice, Sheffield insurance. Shame really as I liked Sheffield, but we'll still visit as overall both the Uni and City impressed us massively :)

Really nice of you to come back to let us know. Sounds like you have a great daughter and she has a great dad.