Sheffield as a student

Sheffield is larger than Liverpool

The only downside to our city centre is the poor shopping but this will improve drastically once the construction of the new Retail Quarter gets underway (next year I believe).

The built-up area of Liverpool is certainly bigger than Sheffield. A quick look at Google Maps will confirm this. The population of the built-up area is not far short of 1 million.

Edited by fatrajah

The built-up area of Liverpool is certainly bigger than Sheffield. A quick look at Google Maps will confirm this. The population of the built-up are is not far short of 1 million.

I dont think it is that black and white.

http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

UK population census data for the cities states:

" Sheffield – 552,698 Liverpool – 466,415"

However, if you take in the wider metropolitan areas

"Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189

South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601"

The entire article is pretty interesting and sets out how this potential nonsense of what actually consitutes the "biggest" cities in the UK can be totally skewed depending on what stats you bother to include or ignore.

I dont think it is that black and white.

http://www.citymetric.com/skylines/where-are-largest-cities-britain-1404

UK population census data for the cities states:

" Sheffield – 552,698 Liverpool – 466,415"

However, if you take in the wider metropolitan areas

"Merseyside (L'pool) – 1,381,189

South Yorkshire (Sheffield) – 1,343,601"

The entire article is pretty interesting and sets out how this potential nonsense of what actually consitutes the "biggest" cities in the UK can be totally skewed depending on what stats you bother to include or ignore.

The South Yorkshire figure includes Rotherham, Doncaster & Barnsley which are surely separate towns from Sheffield ie they are not contiguous with the Sheffield built-up area. The Merseyside figure presumably includes only Birkenhead in addition to the built-up area of Liverpool.

The South Yorkshire figure includes Rotherham, Doncaster & Barnsley which are surely separate towns from Sheffield ie they are not contiguous with the Sheffield built-up area. The Merseyside figure presumably includes only Birkenhead in addition to the built-up area of Liverpool.

Why would you assume the merseyside figures only includes Birkenhead? What about towns such as Southport, St Helens, Formby, Crosby, Bootle.

This is sort of the point I was making and the article contents. What defines the "size" of a city or city region can be totally subjective to the statistics you choose to use or the image you want to protray.

Why would you assume the merseyside figures only includes Birkenhead? What about towns such as Southport, St Helens, Formby, Crosby, Bootle.

Add

Warrington

West Kirkby

Lymm

Newton le Willows

Widnes

Heswall

Bebbington

Runcorn

Non are now within Liverpool City or Birkenhead wards.

I cannot comment on the student facilities in Sheffield, but I can comment on my experience since my partner and I arrived in Sheffield to take up a job offer back in 1999...

I originate from Staffordshire and did my degree in Birmingham and lived for a number of years down near Heathrow and Gatwick. In the mid 90's I took the train from St Pancras and spent a long weekend mountain biking around Ladybower Reservoir. I remember the long ride uphill from Sheffield train station and out onto Ringinglow Road and over the moor and was amazed at just how close the National Park was to the city centre.

When the offer came up, I jumped at the chance and have lived here in Nether Green ever since. The park boundary is only 2 miles away from my place and I can ride up onto the hill and back in an hour. I have even done this in my lunch break.

My two kids were both born in Sheffield and we love it here.

Next weekend we are swimming in the open air lido in Hathersage, attending a party and then riding back over the moor back to Sheffield in the dark.

But as well as scenery, people make Sheffield...

What people say about the locals here is absolutely true...they are just about the most friendliest people I have ever met (level with North Easterners I think)...and I have never once been made unwelcome.

I have noticed this all over Sheffield and out into Barnsley and the surrounding area.

Where we live, there is a very strong community spirit and over the last few years we have had three street parties in our road, where we closed the road, got the food and beer out and had a party for the day.

It is also true about the graduate retention rate. I live next to a GP who trained in Sheffield and alongside teachers and hospital staff who trained here and never left. The previous owner of my house left for another job in York and said leaving Sheffield was a very hard thing to do indeed.

I have heard this from other old school friends who studied in Sheffield and loved the big old stone houses.

Obviously big city rules must not be ignored, as there are other aspects of the city not as nice...but I defy anyone to start walking in Endcliffe Park and follow the Porter Valley out of the city up to the café at the alpaca farm in Ringinglow and not be really impressed.

Loads of Chinese students were doing this very thing last weekend and we watched them flying a drone over the fields filming the views, while we plodded up the hill on the bikes.

From what I have seen of Liverpool, it is a nice place too...but as others have mentioned, Sheffield is a big village, Liverpool is a big city.

Steve

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies. I think you've all backed up our initial impressions that Sheffield was really friendly :) Lots of good info too for which I'm very appreciative.

It's tough choosing a Uni isn't it? Both my daughter and I were blown away by Sheffield, loved it, and then today we went to the University of Liverpool and we both loved that too, but for different reasons!

Sheffield is smaller, the lure of the Peak District is a massive bonus, and Physics is a good course.

Liverpool we preferred the campus, and I think the Georgian area has been redeveloped incredibly well, plus the course had more research into areas daughter likes, but no really good countryside around, and possibly more antisocial issues?

Blimey, what a horrible decision :(

I am from Liverpool originally and now live in sheffield. I wasn't a student but have worked at Universities both in Liverpool and here.

If I was picking a city to be a student (or any young person, really) in, it'd be Liverpool every time. Honestly as a young person it's absolutely blooming brilliant. Antisocial issues are absolutely no more a problem there than here in sheff.

But, as a 30 something, to me Sheffield is better because of the countryside as that's now something that's hugely important to me.

IMO you should pick mainly based on the Uni itself and the course.

Edited by vwkittie

Don't know what the figures are but I do know that many. many students choose to stay in Sheffield after graduation, says it all really. It is a great City.

Yes, one of the UK's highest retention rates as far as I'm aware.

I'm a student in Sheffield and I love it!

Wherever she decides to go, please tell her to keep the noise down when going out and returning at night. Make sure she tells her friends to do the same. It sounds simple, but this simple act of consideration improves student/local relations immensely. At the moment if I hear one more bin being tipped at 3am I will not be responsible for my actions.

Wherever she decides to go, please tell her to keep the noise down when going out and returning at night. Make sure she tells her friends to do the same. It sounds simple, but this simple act of consideration improves student/local relations immensely. At the moment if I hear one more bin being tipped at 3am I will not be responsible for my actions.

This is the problem with students, because they dont "mix" they have very little care for people who actually live in the area and are not students

Wow, thanks so much for all the replies. I think you've all backed up our initial impressions that Sheffield was really friendly :) Lots of good info too for which I'm very appreciative.

It's tough choosing a Uni isn't it? Both my daughter and I were blown away by Sheffield, loved it, and then today we went to the University of Liverpool and we both loved that too, but for different reasons!

Sheffield is smaller, the lure of the Peak District is a massive bonus, and Physics is a good course.

Liverpool we preferred the campus, and I think the Georgian area has been redeveloped incredibly well, plus the course had more research into areas daughter likes, but no really good countryside around, and possibly more antisocial issues?

Blimey, what a horrible decision :(

I know its your daughter's choice ultimately but my daughter did last year at Liverpool and hated it, she was attacked in a nightclub by two women and then was walking home one night (even after I had advised against it) and a car pulled over and 4 lads tried to abduct her luckily a passer by came to her aid. She refused to go back after Easter and has now started a new course in Glasgow which by the way she loves! I know many a student go there and probably have a lovely time.