Should Cat's/Dogs have damage insurance

Could a dog owner not sue a driver that hit the owner's dog ?

Edited by petemcewan

My dog's got 3rd party public liability insurance – up to £1,000,000 per claim if he causes damage or injury to another person, their property or pets.

What company is it with as I can find plenty of vet cost insurances but not any dog liability ones.

What company is it with as I can find plenty of vet cost insurances but not any dog liability ones.

I'm with More Than, they gave me the option to include 3rd party cover for my dog. I declined, because he isn't vicious or even capable of attacking someone. I didnt think of the above eventuality, I may have to change it.

3rd party liability did not apply to my cats though.

I'm with Pet Plan for both my cat and my dog. My dog insurance covers damage to any vehicle if she was to be involved in such an accident. My cats insurance doesn't offer this.

Extremely unlikely, unless there was good proof the driver went out of their way to harm the dog.

It is 'assumed' a dog has no road sense and it is law the dog must be under control of it's owner in a public place.

No, it is the dog owners responsibility to have the dog under their control (ie not running out into a road, into the path of a vehicle)

If the owner does not have the dog on a lead and cannot control it then I don't think that they should have a dog. :(

No, it is the dog owners responsibility to have the dog under their control (ie not running out into a road, into the path of a vehicle)

If the owner does not have the dog on a lead and cannot control it then I don't think that they should have a dog. :(

If the driver is negligent and hits the dog, then of course the dog owner can claim on the driver's insurance.

Dogs Trust.

I don't have separate liability insurance for the dog because she's covered under my home insurance because in the eyes of the law she's a possession and all of my possessions are covered for liability.

What's interesting is that 99% of claims against dogs that bite are rejected by the Courts no matter how serious the injuries.

Unless you can prove that the dog has a history of biting, the insurers will inevitably defend the claim and the Court will dismiss.

Good old S2 Animals Act - child gets savaged by an aggressive dog and unless child's parents can get witnesses to say the dog has bitten before, the child has no recompense.

Each council area can have different rules in regard to dogs; but I believe all dogs must be on a lead, if it is near a road.

The road traffic act is pretty clear:

'A person who causes or permits a dog to be on a designated road without the dog being held on a lead is guilty of an offence.'

Basically you should not have your dog off lead on a road and dogs should obviously be kept under control near roads.

I don't have separate liability insurance for the dog because she's covered under my home insurance because in the eyes of the law she's a possession and all of my possessions are covered for liability.

Will check that as it will save paying out for extra cover. Cheers.(