The bombing of HMS Sheffield

Does anyone know the name of the young man killed on the HMS Sheffield in the Falklands War? I think he lived at Ecclesfield.

Shaun Hanson (aged 20) of Sheffield is listed amongst the 22 crew members who died on 21 May 1982 when HMS Ardent was bombed in Grantham Sound. It sank the following day.

The above is from the listings of the Falklands National Monument - Cardiff

R.I.P.

I thought at first you meant the wartime home goal attack on HMS Sheffield by the Royal Naval Air Service.

Shaun Hanson (aged 20) of Sheffield is listed amongst the 22 crew members who died on 21 May 1982 when HMS Ardent was bombed in Grantham Sound. It sank the following day.

The above is from the listings of the Falklands National Monument - Cardiff

R.I.P.

I knew Shaun. The last time I saw him, I said to him 'Aye aye, the fleet's in', as he was home on leave. His family are really nice people. Such a dreadful tragedy. R,I,P Shaun.

The WW2 Sheffield ship's bell hangs in the Cathedral.

His name is on the War Memorial in Ecclesfield churchyard, Falklands 1982.

My brother worked for the vickers shipyard as a materials engineer. We are / were a Sheffield family so he was very proud to be involved. I have some first edition covers (basically envelopes) of the ship launch. I would be willing to donate to these to people who were passionate about the ship's history.

They have no intrinsic value. They are just sitting here with my departed brothers bits of legacy. Let me know via the site.

PS I'm fairly sure what I have said is proper. But I haven't checked for a while.

I remember being at the lane and it came over the PA system that HMS Sheffield had been hit the players stopped and the crowd were hushed.

Shaun Hanson was killed when HMS Ardent was bombed. HMS Sheffield was hit by an Exocet missile which didn't explode but the rocket motor which was still running set the ship on fire. She sank some three days later.

Shaun Hanson was killed when HMS Ardent was bombed. HMS Sheffield was hit by an Exocet missile which didn't explode but the rocket motor which was still running set the ship on fire. She sank some three days later.

A little known positive from this sad story is that the problems the crew had locating injured colleagues amidst the smoke and fire led to the final push to get infrared technology ("seeing" heat) accepted and used. It has now saved many lives as firefighters have used it to rescue people in fire and smoke filled premises, similarly for earthquake victims buried under rubble, the police chasing criminals from their helicopters, and folk checking for heat escaping their houses and factories due to insufficient insulation etc.