Railway sleeper retaining wall advice

I've recently bought some railway sleepers to create a retaining wall, 3 wide X 3 high, what should I use to tie them in to each other. Can anyone recommend someone who can give me some advice on how best to position them.

I would like to get this project done ASAP before winter sets in.

Sleepers laid horizontally.

Steel bar running vertically through all of them and into foundation of some sort every now and again, depending on length.

Or sleepers vertically tied on top with steel flat bar(wrought iron for fancy look) and concreted in ground.

I did this using some old dogs (which are kind of a big staple which draws the wood together) on the corners. Mine were about 3 inches long and an inch deep. I inherited quite a few from my granddad who was a pattern make, similar to this

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworking-hand-tools-clamps-vices-panel-clamps-pull-together-pinch-dogs-dakota+dkpd

Can anyone recommend someone to do this, I'd say it's a days job for two people.