Anyone had issues taking their dog on the bus?

I am confused, my friends, mother in law (and many others) have taken their dogs on the bus - but when I checked with Stagecoach they said it was up to the driver and would not guarantee my German Shepherd would be allowed to board

Has anyone actually been turned away from a Sheffield bus?

I can't imagine it is ''up to the driver''

What about guide dogs?

I can't imagine it is ''up to the driver''

What about guide dogs?

Ah -apparently guide dogs and "assistance dogs" are special case - it seems they are always accepted and always free

Our GSD is soft as you like, but pretty big - he has a hi viz coat for winter so I suppose the kids could write "Assistance Dog" on that with Sharpies

Never been turned away but I have seen people turned away when there were already dogs on the bus, and I guess you would be if the dog looked like it would be problematic.

It might depend how busy it is, it would be hard to fit a large dog on board at rush hour when the bus was packed.

I've taken my dog on the bus a few times, but he's only small (pug) and he sits on my knee. He gets upset otherwise, and he will only sit on the front side-facing seats :hihi:

touch wood we've never had a problem taking Jesse our dobermann on the bus - I think if there's already a dog on board, sometimes they can be cautious, but it's not occurred so far. Jesse has also been on a few 'park and ride's' throughout the country including ones on York, Cambridge, and somewhere in Dorset and there were other dogs on board then, but we didn't hit any problems. Such a pity the tram wont permit dogs (or bikes) when there's actually even more space for both than there would be on a bus.

My American Bull dog travels on the busses quite regularly and he would be a similar size to your GSD. Only ever had issues when there are other dogs on the bus and the driver doesnt want to risk any fracas, sadly they can't take your word for it that a dog is friendly with other dogs and they cant risk injury to passengers (hence drivers choice) and when the bus is really packed.

I was turned away in the summer. My dog is only a medium size yorkie but because there was another dog on the bus they refused to let me on. The bus wasnt that full either. I looked into it and it is at the drivers discretion.

I travel regularly on the buses , some drivers will be funny but I always say to them that i need to travel etc , if my dog is badly behaved then put me off at the next stop ! I also explain that the dog and i regularly travel on this route .

Hi I used to work at SYPTE. It is at the discretion of the driver. They put safety first of all passengers. But it is very rare some one is nit allowed on.

thanks folks, this is useful as I will now allow a bit of extra time in case there is another dog on the first bus that comes - I can imagine some drivers not letting on a 40kg German Shepherd with other dogs already there. At least I know we will get there, even if the odd bus isnt ok

Our first trip was uneventful - other than the Moss trying to sleep in the pushchair area and taking up quite a bit of floor space

they allow staffy type dogs on,especially on manor or gleadless bound buses.

I think they ought to ban em outright other than guide dogs