Example where being British shouldn't get preferential status

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/05/french-contract-for-britains-new-fleet-of-nuclear-submarines-bet/

British steelmakers aren't capable enough so we go to the French. No one's fault except the British steelmakers for being technologically inferior.

All this talk about how we should buy British is naive. I would rather have a submarine that didn't implode.

England football manager?

I'm not a steel expert - surely we have some on here who are?

England football manager?

I'm not a steel expert - surely we have some on here who are?

I think Sheffield itself makes very high-quality steel. And we sell more now (in terms of money it generates) than ever before. Lots of people lost their jobs in the industry in Sheffield of course (but we got a helluva film out of it!) but it makes us loadsamoney...or someone loadsamoney anyway.

I don't know about other steelworks in the UK.

I think Sheffield itself makes very high-quality steel. And we sell more now (in terms of money it generates) than ever before. Lots of people lost their jobs in the industry in Sheffield of course (but we got a helluva film out of it!) but it makes us loadsamoney...or someone loadsamoney anyway.

I don't know about other steelworks in the UK.

I've worked in engineering (automation) on steelmaking plants in this country, in Korea, in India and elsewhere.

The level of investment in technology to improve quality and productivity in say, Korea, is always way ahead of British plants.

Of course, the steel required for a submarine will have very particular properties, and it may well be that it is a grade not produced by plants in this country.