Proposed flood defences - Rivelin allotments at risk?

Thought this might have been heavily debated already however it appears that the proposed flood plans will included a new man made embankment (Around 3 double decker buses in height at it's highest point)....Should this go ahead it is estimated that at least a third of Rivelin allotments would have to be demolished to accommodate this new mound along with some very old former dams.

Edited by green_man

So what is the alternative?

Really conflicted about this. I have total sympathy for those whose homes were flooded back in 2007 - it must have been dreadful. However, this scheme looks pretty radical and would effectively destroy a beautiful section of the Rivelin Valley that is much loved by families, dog walkers, runners and allotment owners, not to mention some precious historic features of the area.

I find this odd that this is presented as the ONLY option - we go with this and destroy a beautiful area loved by many, or we don't and leave homes at risk (albeit of something that seems to happen pretty infrequently in Sheffield, as opposed to say York or Leeds). In summary - a radical solution for a risk that doesn't seem to be particularly well quantified.

I find this odd that this is presented as the ONLY option -

I don't think it is unless SCC have now quantified the results of the public survey which I actually filled in and also said no to.

Guest makapaka
Thought this might have been heavily debated already however it appears that the proposed flood plans will included a new man made embankment (Around 3 double decker buses in height at it's highest point)....Should this go ahead it is estimated that at least a third of Rivelin allotments would have to be demolished to accommodate this new mound along with some very old former dams.

Is that on the stanningron side or the Walkley side?

I could accept the loss of allotments and a footpath for a flood defence that could potentially save thousands of homes.

Looks like some allotment owners might start growing rice.

Looking at the size of the embankment, it surprises me how high it would be, ie that the local land slopes as much as it does between the Hagg Hill area and the position of the embankment.

I no longer walk in the area, so it doesn't affect me directly, and I might think differently if I did, but generally it looks like a good idea.

It's not clear to me what they will do with the area which can be flooded? Do the allotments stay there in the knowledge that they may/will be flooded occasionally? Is the area retained as a park, with free access and Riverside paths for most of the year, except when flooded, or will it be fenced off?

http://www.floodprotectionsheffield.com/pages/upper-don-catchment-options

The link above will take you to the council pages that gives the information on the options currently being consulted on. At this stage, the consultation is asking about the concept of providing flood storage areas, amongst other options, but detailed work on the final locations of any ground works such as embankments will follow.

I often walk by rivelin and was here during the 2007 floods. It doesn't get too bad usually and wonder why they don't use the upstream structures to buffer occasional extreme rainfall.

Guess whole thing is a bit like driving all your life with a spare until you get a flat one day.

I do belive there are some open meetings about these proposels