Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

As stated many times before, they are continuing to give money to individuals. They'd do more good by supporting organisations that help the homeless.

At the end of the day, I know it's down to individuals whether they give their money away to people in the street but how many times have they got to be told by the police; SCC; homeless charities, etc, that the majority of those out begging AREN'T homeless but part of professional begging gangs, probably 'earning' more per day than your average pensioner sees in a week.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 13:33 ----------

The only reason, as far as I'm concerned that we've seen an increase in the numbers begging is that this city is now seen as a bit of a soft touch.

At the end of the day, I know it's down to individuals whether they give their money away to people in the street but how many times have they got to be told by the police; SCC; homeless charities, etc, that the majority of those out begging AREN'T homeless but part of professional begging gangs, probably 'earning' more per day than your average pensioner sees in a week.

....and then they complain about the drug problem! It's remarkable really. Make it that by giving money to beggars they are committing a crime, and it might raise awareness of the fact they are simply lining drug dealers pockets.

The views of charities and homeless support groups are mixed. While some advise against giving money directly to rough sleepers, warning that it can fuel addictions, other groups say giving money is often essential to helping homeless people buy the "bare necessities".

So no, don't make it a crime. If you work in the sector then you should be aware that there isn't agreement on this approach.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/should-we-give-homeless-money-a8124951.html

So no, don't make it a crime. If you work in the sector then you should be aware that there isn't agreement on this approach.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/should-we-give-homeless-money-a8124951.html

The thing is though - that report is a bit misleading. It's talking about 'rough sleepers', of which there are 20 in Sheffield, and all the charities spoken to are referring specifically to rough sleepers

We're talking about beggars here - who really shouldn't be confused with rough sleepers. It's fairly easy to look at someone and know immediately whether they are rough sleeping. You rarely see any of the 20 begging - because they're not in the city centre, and don't chose to beg. A sleeping bag is referred to as a "tool" by beggars, as many think if someone is sitting with a sleeping bag over them they must be rough sleeping. You'll note the complete absence of any other possessions of course. Trainers are another big give away - you'll see some incredibly expensive footwear being worn by a lot of beggars!

It's worth bearing in mind that there really is little reason other than drink/drugs to beg in Sheffield. Support is readily available from a multitude of charities for those struggling to make their benefits stretch, or those that are experiencing sanctions. All basic needs are taken care of - free washing facilities, free laundry services, two/three free hot meals every day, free toiletries - all of these things are available, 365 days a year. The only place money is going is drugs.

I can assure you there IS agreement in the charity sector in Sheffield - don't give money to beggars. No charity thinks or says otherwise. People giving money to beggars is making their work harder, across the board. The situation may be different in other cities; I can only comment on Sheffield, and it's situation.

Edited by paula4sheff

Wouldn't that just encourage them to turn to burglary and mugging to fund their habit?

If it was on prescription then they wouldn't need to either beg for the money or commit crime to fund it.

Yes it would for some but given that they are not accepting help and want to change we have to take more forceful options. The shops and security would easily identify them as they see them regularly anyway and prevent this. We already know that a lot of people refuse to give as seen as how aggressive they are getting but sadly as there is money to be had they will still continue. As for house burglary and the like I don't think they are capable of it. So we just need to cut off income and mop up the consequences forcing them to either get help or starve they should choose help.

Yes it would for some but given that they are not accepting help and want to change we have to take more forceful options. The shops and security would easily identify them as they see them regularly anyway and prevent this. We already know that a lot of people refuse to give as seen as how aggressive they are getting but sadly as there is money to be had they will still continue. As for house burglary and the like I don't think they are capable of it. So we just need to cut off income and mop up the consequences forcing them to either get help or starve they should choose help.

If you have an addiction you will NEVER seek help while that addiction is being funded readily and easily: unless you reach a crisis point, health wise.

I thought nearly all house burglaries are due to drug addicts, perhaps not SPICE though?

" perhaps not SPICE though? "

why not?

The thing is though - that report is a bit misleading. It's talking about 'rough sleepers', of which there are 20 in Sheffield, and all the charities spoken to are referring specifically to rough sleepers

On the contrary, YOU are once again conflating rough sleepers and the homeless. The article and the charities quoted all say "homeless", only you have said rough sleepers.

Edit - actually the article refers to both, you however have limited it to only rough sleepers.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 15:08 ----------

If you're the one knifed in a mugging gone wrong I suspect you'd change your tune fast enough.

On the contrary, YOU are once again conflating rough sleepers and the homeless. The article and the charities quoted all say "homeless", only you have said rough sleepers.

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 15:08 ----------

If you're the one knifed in a mugging gone wrong I suspect you'd change your tune fast enough.

No - the article does that.

"Yet while the public is increasingly aware that thousands of homeless people are forced to spend their nights in the cold, there remains confusion about how to help homeless people. More specifically, when we see somebody sitting on the side of the pavement, should we offer them money?"

"The Salvation Army, which offers emergency accommodation on a night-by-night basis in some of their life houses, advises against handing money to the homeless, saying it risks "trapping" people in the "endless cycle" of homelessness and rough sleeping."

etc. It continually refers to 'homeless' as the same thing as 'rough sleeping'. It isn't. The article is poorly written - as is most of The Independent's material since they moved online only, got bought out, and became a clickbait farm.

Making the difference clear between 'homeless' (i.e. temporary accommodation') and 'rough sleeping' (i,e, sleeping on the streets) is absolutely vital.

As I mentioned before, technically I have been classed as 'homeless' as I had no place of my own, but stayed on friends sofas for a number of months. I was a statistic. There's a big difference between what I was doing, and sleeping on the streets. This needs to be made clear - and articles like the above constantly confuse the two.

Most people that make up these 'homeless' figures are not begging - they're in work, and living comfortable lives. Rough sleepers aren't.

Drugs and drink are why people beg - 'a room for the night' is a nonsense. As is the need for 'essentials'. Both things are easily accessed, free of charge.

Edited by paula4sheff

" perhaps not SPICE though? "

why not?

they get plenty of money from donations in the city centre?

Maybe we should encourage them all to move to Oxford?

The BBC News website is currently running a video. A scheme in Oxford called Greater Change wants to provide homeless people with QR codes, so members of the public can give them money using smartphones.

You couldn't make it up could you?

Watched this video today. Interesting idea, if it could work. The money donated to the individual goes through a support worker who makes sure the money gets used how it should. You also find out some information about the homeless person.