Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

One of (only) three beggars I saw in Chesterfield centre this morning had pitched straight outside the M&S entrance.

I spent a few minutes on the other side of the street taking a mobile call - I can't multitask it seems, walking and talking at the same time! - but in those (maybe) 5 minutes I saw three different people donating cash to the outstretched hand.

Kind, thoughtful folk, or mugs....who knows.

Sheffield Online has a picture to illustrate what we are talking about. If people don't think it's that bad look at this.

Sheffield Online has a picture to illustrate what we are talking about. If people don't think it's that bad look at this.

The cops would have to request an ambulance for them all, no way would they be able to be locked up. That would take up beds at A&E which is already overcrowded. If one of your loved ones was in a bed at A&E would you want them next to you?

Years ago I worked with street drinkers and beggars and most of them had homes funded by housing benefit but had issues with substance misuse causing them to congregate. It was well known whose benefit payment day it was and that funded the cohort for the day. Begging was just a way of supplementing, often disability payment, benefit income. It wasn't uncommon for someone to show £60 in their wallet and then pass them begging on the street

So on one side we have the 'they are scum and need locking up' brigade and on the other the 'they are victims who have been dealt bad cards in life and we shouldn't judge or look down on them'. In my opinion they need professional help to get them off the streets. I would happily pay more tax for that if the money was spent properly on those in need. However, I refuse to hand out any cash to beggars because it will most likely go on drugs or drink which is just spiralling the situation out of control.

So on one side we have the 'they are scum and need locking up' brigade and on the other the 'they are victims who have been dealt bad cards in life and we shouldn't judge or look down on them'. In my opinion they need professional help to get them off the streets. I would happily pay more tax for that if the money was spent properly on those in need. However, I refuse to hand out any cash to beggars because it will most likely go on drugs or drink which is just spiralling the situation out of control.

I agree that's it isnt it. The two polar opinions don't help. Those of the victims of society brigade wouldn't want one of these people living in their house. And those lock em up brigade don't take into account we cannot just do that. I wish there was a solution but until EVERYONE refuses to give them money they will continue to cause problems.

I see that the Council are having to pay to have post boxes modified now so that these scum cannot put the used syringes in the letter boxes ... whos paying for this .. tax payers ... this is just another example of how truly awful and out of control the whole beggar and druggie problem has gotten in Sheffield... I'm sure it's far worse than any other City... I can't go out in West Street these days ...day or evening ... without being accosted by the scum ...so I keep well away from the centre now ...

I see that the Council are having to pay to have post boxes modified now so that these scum cannot put the used syringes in the letter boxes ... whos paying for this .. tax payers ... this is just another example of how truly awful and out of control the whole beggar and druggie problem has gotten in Sheffield... I'm sure it's far worse than any other City... I can't go out in West Street these days ...day or evening ... without being accosted by the scum ...so I keep well away from the centre now ...

I'm sure other cities have a better way of handling the problem. The situation is getting worse as the dogooders are giving the beggars money. If they didnt have the money they wouldnt be able to afford drugs. I remember walking past the station late one night and there was two on a table counting out change. They had shed loads of money from passengers.

The cops would have to request an ambulance for them all, no way would they be able to be locked up. That would take up beds at A&E which is already overcrowded. If one of your loved ones was in a bed at A&E would you want them next to you?

No, I wouldn’t but when I was a nurse in A&E we weren’t allowed to refuse them treatment. They held the queue up for elderly people with genuine illnesses, and used to pinch the used syringes . Can you believe that they actually came in just for a sleep on the chairs in the waiting area. :suspect:

No, I wouldn’t but when I was a nurse in A&E we weren’t allowed to refuse them treatment. They held the queue up for elderly people with genuine illnesses, and used to pinch the used syringes . Can you believe that they actually came in just for a sleep on the chairs in the waiting area. :suspect:

Believe it, I"ve seen it.....

Believe it, I"ve seen it.....

I always used to wear disposable gloves when treating them as you never knew whether they had aids. :suspect:

Surely it is the Royal Mail who would pay for this?