Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Did you mean council tax or general taxation?

I'm not against either, but what guarantee do we have that it will be spent a)where we want it, or b) not used to prop up yet another 6 figure salary?

In real terms, we are already paying almost 50% of our salary in tax, yet cuts continue to abound, to the point where police, and other equally necessary services are in dire straights.

I don't really understand why an increase in taxation is needed. Surely simply prioritising the resource. to the hotspots. We all know where they are they just need to go there and deal with it. There are cheap things they can do like dispersal orders and restrict certain people out of the city centre.

Also I think people will be incredibly annoyed that this small group of people are taking even more resource and finance to deal with. I lose track of the amount of money paid out every time one of these spice addicts gets taken to hospital.

It needs a simple 0 tolerance multi agency approach using existing resources targeting the prolific offenders (who we all know where they are and who they are) and deal with the problem).

Obviously if they prioritise one thing, they have to be deprioritising another thing. What is it that you think shouldn't get done instead?

Police abound in great numbers for football matches. Just a few of those out the rest of the week would solve it, and I don't subscribe to the cutback default line either, with early retirement, very good pension levels, 1st class travel if going anywehere, etc etc. The amount we pay overall in taxes is a disgrace for what we get back.

Police abound in great numbers for football matches. Just a few of those out the rest of the week would solve it, and I don't subscribe to the cutback default line either, with early retirement, very good pension levels, 1st class travel if going anywehere, etc etc. The amount we pay overall in taxes is a disgrace for what we get back.

What have officer pension levels got do do with you not subscribing to the cutbacks? If there are fewer cops then surely thats a cut back?

Police officers usually have their days off cancelled to make them work football matches, they then get a day back for it. Are you saying they should cancel more days off to deal with beggars? What about burglaries? Should they have their days off cancelled for them as well? etc etc...

I don't really understand why an increase in taxation is needed. Surely simply prioritising the resource. to the hotspots. We all know where they are they just need to go there and deal with it. There are cheap things they can do like dispersal orders and restrict certain people out of the city centre.

Also I think people will be incredibly annoyed that this small group of people are taking even more resource and finance to deal with. I lose track of the amount of money paid out every time one of these spice addicts gets taken to hospital.

It needs a simple 0 tolerance multi agency approach using existing resources targeting the prolific offenders (who we all know where they are and who they are) and deal with the problem).

Priority is always given to London and the South East. Anything north of Watford Gap matters very little to this government. But I do agree that we seem to get less and less for our taxes. I'm sick of hearing about 'money we haven't got' every time something needs sorting.

Your '0 tolerance multi agency approach' assumes that multi agencies are available - They aren't. Those that are left, are on there knees, working with depleted staffing levels thanks to the cuts, and already doing more work than they can cope with.

There's nothing simple about it, unless more money is forthcoming.

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 19:25 ----------

It isn't just about police numbers though is it?

What are the police supposed to do with them? Even the jails are full. As woodmally says, it has to be a multi-agency approach, or they will simply return over and over again.

1st class travel?

The cutback default line is that 22,000 police less are available today than in 2010. (That's about 15%)

You don't think that this impacts their ability to put officers at any given location?

I was walking through Broomhill yesterday and walked past a lady sat on the street. After going into Boots I came back past her and she was with a man. I just looked down as I walked past them and he shouted at me "what are you looking at?" twice. I fought my natural instincts and kept on walking and I could hear him say "he was looking at us".

If they ask for money and you ignore them they take offence.

If you even look in their direction they take offence.

You can't win.

But I do know one thing, I don't care about them one little bit and can't say what should happen to them all on here. They are as much of a blight on this country as dogs taking a dump on public streets.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 08:49 ----------

.... and I don't see why we should be paying any additional taxes to help or deal with them. Honest, hard working, normal people pay enough in taxes thank you. They need to take responsibility for their own situation and get off drink and drugs and stop smoking. And being nasty does not help their cause. They live in a low-life underbelly that the rest of us shouldn't have to see. We all have our problems but shouldn't have the right to dump those problems on everyone else.

1st class travel

I’m interested in his 1st class travel comment too. Where do I sign up! :)

Good news apparently there will be 400 people trained to deal with the problem by Autumn.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-claim-people-outside-the-area-are-causing-problems-on-west-street-1-9277324

Mmmm, I wonder what training that will be, and what approach they're going to take.

Is that 400 people for the whole kingdom? Probably doesn't work out at more than one or two per town.

Mmmm, I wonder what training that will be, and what approach they're going to take.

Is that 400 people for the whole kingdom? Probably doesn't work out at more than one or two per town.

I think its probably more along the lines of what to do if you see one basic first aid etc. I dont think its an actual serious attempt to solve the problem. The problem has been going on for so long now. Whenever you criticise them you get the victims of society brigade coming out with "if you walked a mile in thier shoes" or "there by the grace of god" or the old faithful "they have complex issues and they lead chaotic lives".

It seems there is often people apologizing for them and defending them but I guess they wont invite them to their house for tea.

What it needs is the council the police etc to have regular days of action and a multi agency approach followed by a dispersal order to stop them enabling one another. Coupled with everyone not giving them money which would force them to seek help.

What have officer pension levels got do do with you not subscribing to the cutbacks? If there are fewer cops then surely thats a cut back?

Police officers usually have their days off cancelled to make them work football matches, they then get a day back for it. Are you saying they should cancel more days off to deal with beggars? What about burglaries? Should they have their days off cancelled for them as well? etc etc...

If they retired at the same age as other workers there would be more of them.

Ok, so one day at the football match and one day off. Where are they the rest of the week ?

The last I heard they didn't attend burglaries.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 13:52 ----------

Priority is always given to London and the South East. Anything north of Watford Gap matters very little to this government. But I do agree that we seem to get less and less for our taxes. I'm sick of hearing about 'money we haven't got' every time something needs sorting.

Your '0 tolerance multi agency approach' assumes that multi agencies are available - They aren't. Those that are left, are on there knees, working with depleted staffing levels thanks to the cuts, and already doing more work than they can cope with.

There's nothing simple about it, unless more money is forthcoming.

---------- Post added 30-07-2018 at 19:25 ----------

It isn't just about police numbers though is it?

What are the police supposed to do with them? Even the jails are full. As woodmally says, it has to be a multi-agency approach, or they will simply return over and over again.

I entirely agree, but the agressive begging needs to be dealt with.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 13:54 ----------

I’m interested in his 1st class travel comment too. Where do I sign up! :)

First class travel on aeroplanes and trains, at least so I have heard, unless I have been lied too.

---------- Post added 31-07-2018 at 13:57 ----------

1st class travel?

The cutback default line is that 22,000 police less are available today than in 2010. (That's about 15%)

You don't think that this impacts their ability to put officers at any given location?

A start could be made by getting rid of police commisioners. I don't have much truck with The Labour party, but Corbyn got that right