Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Just for a bit of balance - there have been a number of reports in the press about the kindness of homeless people: here's one of them

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/homeless-man-waited-in-rain-for-hours-to-stop-stranger’s-£450-being-stolen/ar-BBGLYKv?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartandhp

Yes, there are some homeless that aren't so thoughtful or public spirited. But there again there are people with roofs over their heads and plenty of money that are tossers.

So when people, including those who say they work with the homeless, do them down - just remember, they are people, and have many admirable qualities about them.

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 21:59 ----------

True, unfortunately, but

does not follow automatically. That is not necessarily caused by a breakdown, mental or familial.

You're quite right Jeffrey, homelessness isn't always caused by breakdowns - though if someone hasn't got mental health problems before they're homeless, they're more likely to as a consequence of being homeless.

Edited by Mister M

Threads not about homeless people , its about beggars . And im pretty sure the beggar who was intimidating my good lady last week had no "Admirable Qualities " about him

Threads not about homeless people , its about beggars . And im pretty sure the beggar who was intimidating my good lady last week had no "Admirable Qualities " about him

Do the Police do anything if you call them?

I don't want to burden the system if nothing will come of it.

What is the best recourse?

Saw 2 today outside Mulberry and across from Brown bear both off their heads,put them away.

I know the thread's not about homeless people, though the 2 issues became conflated many pages ago. That didn't seem to have bothered you when people were criticising the homeless, so why is it an issue when I point out the many good deeds that the homeless have done?

nope they arent the same, i used to beg but wasnt homeless, but most homeless DO beg

From homeless.org.uk

http://www.homeless.org.uk/facts/homelessness-in-numbers/rough-sleeping/rough-sleeping-explore-data

You'll need to select Yorkshire and Humber from the drop down menu and then you can see figures for Sheffield. Although looking again this data is from the Council so meh.

The BMJ has this report, hard to read though but implies 340 homeless?

http://www.bmj.com/content/302/6789/1387

A report about hidden homelessness:

http://www4.shu.ac.uk/research/cresr/sites/shu.ac.uk/files/hidden-truth-homelessness-summary.pdf

From what I know, anyone who is COMPLETELY homeless, sleeping on the streets with nowhere to go will be a priority case for temporary rehousing. There is little argument from charities that people who are completely homeless ARE NOT being offered accommodation of some sort but the problem is that the accommodation may be unsuitable for the person or the person may have mental health or physical health reasons why they cannot move into a property that has been offered. You cannot fix homelessness by just giving a roof over someone's head, the reasons for sleeping rough are far more complex than just not having somewhere to stay, and it's this side that tends to get ignored. The number of people who are sleeping rough is tiny, but there is a bigger problem with people sleeping in insecure housing, or staying someone where they are abused etc. These people are not in the numbers but will probably an order of magnitude higher.

I agree with this, but we do need more sheltered housing for people with mental problems who cannot cope on their own. Remember a lot of these used to be housed and cared for in the old mental hospitals, where they did at least have a roof over their heads. these were closed because they were considered unsuitable, and replaced with 'care in the community.' Where is that care now? Life has become increasingly more complex since then, and even able bodied people sometimes struggle to cope, but for someone with mental health issues it can be all but impossible.

So who is looking after them?

Interesting reading here-

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/15/homelessness-report-working-families-stable-jobs-local-government-ombudsman

(Families with stable jobs at risk of homelessness in England, report finds)

That is indeed a problem.

Trouble is anyone who is in private rented accommodation can lose their home through no fault of their own. If the Landlord decides to sell for instance and wants to sell the house empty then you can be turned out even if you've been an exemplary tenant. Most leases these days are short term.

This can be horrendous for anyone, but for a family with school age children it can be particularly difficult. Suitable, affordable accommodation is not always easy to find.

We need, and always will need, proper social housing.

That is indeed a problem.

Trouble is anyone who is in private rented accommodation can lose their home through no fault of their own. If the Landlord decides to sell for instance and wants to sell the house empty then you can be turned out even if you've been an exemplary tenant. Most leases these days are short term.

This can be horrendous for anyone, but for a family with school age children it can be particularly difficult. Suitable, affordable accommodation is not always easy to find.

We need, and always will need, proper social housing.

Just out of interest, if someone stops paying their rent in social housing, then what should the process be?

Also, did you see QT on Thursday? It was in Barnsley, and this cropped up. Nicky Morgan tried to address this, but on the whole programme really was a shambolic embarrassment. I'm surprised someone didn't bring in a Thatcher effigy and set fire to it, that was all that was missing :hihi:

Whilst I accept that circumstances could drive any individual with an already nasty temperament towards aggression I suspect that the vast majority of any persons who unfortunately became homeless as a result of the circumstances described in the Guardian article would not be as obnoxious to passers-by as many of those who infest the city centre currently are.

Whilst I accept that circumstances could drive any individual with an already nasty temperament towards aggression I suspect that the vast majority of any persons who unfortunately became homeless as a result of the circumstances described in the Guardian article would not be as obnoxious to passers-by as many of those who infest the city centre currently are.

Edited by Mister Gee