Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I think it's wrong to keep a dog if you can't even afford to keep a roof over your head. I saw another homeless person on the moor swigging cider early this morning with a dog. People not capable of taking care of themselves shouldn't have a dog!!

They get a dog for sympathy from people. ( therefore more money) I feel so sorry for the dogs, with their sad eyes, and lack of excercise. I would have thought that the RSPCA would have something to say about this situation !

I think it's wrong to keep a dog if you can't even afford to keep a roof over your head. I saw another homeless person on the moor swigging cider early this morning with a dog. People not capable of taking care of themselves shouldn't have a dog!!

They get a dog for sympathy from people. ( therefore more money) I feel so sorry for the dogs, with their sad eyes, and lack of excercise. I would have thought that the RSPCA would have something to say about this situation !

They get a dog because dogs are decent and non-judgemental, unlike, as evidenced on this thread, many of the human beings in our society.

As for the dogs, they are generally considerably better of in the company of a human being who loves them, even if that person lacks a home, than the average RSPCA dog home.

Given the number of unwanted dogs in dog homes, many of who will end up being put down, I wish more people would recognize that homeless people who adopt them, are providing a social service.

They get a dog because dogs are decent and non-judgemental, unlike, as evidenced on this thread, many of the human beings in our society.

As for the dogs, they are generally considerably better of in the company of a human being who loves them, even if that person lacks a home, than the average RSPCA dog home.

Given the number of unwanted dogs in dog homes, many of who will end up being put down, I wish more people would recognize that homeless people who adopt them, are providing a social service.

Providing a social service ??? :huh:

Well said! Why shouldnt homeless people have a dog wouldnt you want some company and some comfort if you were homeless. Some of comments on here make me sick! As if homeless make loads of money i doubt it!! A lad ive got talking to most days he often shows me bit of money he got not even enough for a coffee! Hes a nice lad not a druggie or alcoholic! Not sure why ended up homeless but is hoping to get somewhere soon now he been here 6 months. Hes says people look at him and say things and "they dont even know me"! Cant stand people who are so judgemental it could happen to anyone only takes some1 to loose their job, relationship breakdown, mental breakdown, etc, say a lot of people only 2 or 3 pay packets away from being homeless! And have to remember not everyone has loving family or friends. I do the homeless Shoeboxes for the "Archer Project" at Christmas and doing sponsored walk this year. Also take food in every so often. If people helped other people down on their luck instead of judging them be a better world!!

Well said! Why shouldnt homeless people have a dog wouldnt you want some company and some comfort if you were homeless. Some of comments on here make me sick! As if homeless make loads of money i doubt it!! A lad ive got talking to most days he often shows me bit of money he got not even enough for a coffee! Hes a nice lad not a druggie or alcoholic! Not sure why ended up homeless but is hoping to get somewhere soon now he been here 6 months. Hes says people look at him and say things and "they dont even know me"! Cant stand people who are so judgemental it could happen to anyone only takes some1 to loose their job, relationship breakdown, mental breakdown, etc, say a lot of people only 2 or 3 pay packets away from being homeless! And have to remember not everyone has loving family or friends. I do the homeless Shoeboxes for the "Archer Project" at Christmas and doing sponsored walk this year. Also take food in every so often. If people helped other people down on their luck instead of judging them be a better world!!

How are beggars drug addicts/alcoholics if they onley get little money? take my word for it most beggars make a lot of money.

Let me assure you that I know what I am talking about- i work with these people, and kbow most of the 'beggars' ib town. They are not homeless, but are experts in telling people what they want to hear. Our major problem is yhat they will not engage with support and help because they make too much money for drug from begging. Thinking otherwise is deluded. Dogs are a well know help with this and are used as a way to make more money.

I am not judging-these are the facts. Please look up the incredibly low amount of rough sleepers in sheffield. The fact that someone is telling you they are rough sleeping is probably a lie. Drug addicts will do and say anything. If you want to help- talk to them, dirext them to help, but please don't give them money and make the jobs of support charities harder than they already are.

I think a lot of the problems in Sheffield come from stutdents I often see them giving money, they have good intentions but do not realise it makes the situation worse.

Please look up the incredibly low amount of rough sleepers in sheffield.

Where do you look this up?

Edited by onewheeldave

I couldn't agree more. In fact Cesar Millan often jokes that the most psychologically stable dogs he sees are the ones that live with homeless people.

This is because living an outdoor nomadic life which involves lots of walking and moving around is good for our K9 friends.

She said the number of rough sleepers in Sheffield is 'incredibly low', and implied there was some kind of source verifying it, that could be 'looked up'.

I'm asking for that link- a link to stats or facts backing up her claim that the numbers of rough sleepers are low.

Anyone know the story of the black dude who camps outside Sainsbury on Ecclesall Road most days? He seems to be permanently attached to the ATM outside because I rarely see it without him guarding it.