Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Whatever happend to the 'tramps' of yesteryear?  The FEW individuals, mainly middle aged or older, who you might occasionally see with the odd bottle of alcohol, never drugged up, who might be down on their luck of opted out of general society?  They very rarely asked for money of bothered people in the city centre for anything. 

Now, you look at what is hanging around the city centre & you mainly see, in the majority, what looks like young men, who would be fit & healthy & could hold down jobs, if only they would, (not COULD, so it does  for many appear to be a lifestyle choice to waste their days), get off the alcohol & drugs. 

People giving individuals money is just perpetuating the problem by providing the street drinkers & drug takers with the finance to buy further drink from presumably local city centre shops who aren't going to refuse the money, whether that be a local 'corner shop' or one of the major supermarkets & drugs from dealers, mainly of a similar age, who aren't going to turn the business down. 

As said many times, if you want to help the homeless, give the money directly to a charity.  

Times have changed.  The places like Middlewood Mental Hospital that dealt with huge numbers of mental health issues have closed, they were supposed to be replaced with 'Care in the Community' but weren't, so you get more people with mental health issues on the street.

Add to that the complexity of modern life that more people find all but impossible to deal with, and you get more people on the street. The draconian laws around Universal credit and sanctions means more people are being made homeless, and end up on the street. 

An influx of migrants who haven't assimilated to our culture see begging as a normal way of life are on the street.

And yes in a corrupt world where corruption starts at the top, I'm sure a few will take advantage to do likewise for themselves.  

So is it surprising the town centres of most Northern cities are awash with beggars? As for getting jobs, once you're on the street having lost everything it's a long way back. You can't just 'get a job' with nowhere to wash, eat or sleep.

And frankly if I was on the street I might well turn to alcohol or drugs to numb the reality of life. Many are on drugs as a symptom  of street life, not the cause of it.

Edited by Anna B

Like I have said many times before many of the homeless today are from our care system......

Back in 1979 the authorities changed children homes from strict to allowing children in their care to do what they wanted to do !!!!.....

Before that date mentioned above children’s homes were very strict places run by matrons !!!!....

Many of these children have grown up living a life that is destructive to themselves and us !!!!....

They were allowed to live a life from early childhood being destructive ie.....

smoking,taking drugs,staying up to all hours, coming and going at all hours,interacting with young adults and much worse !!!......

Basically they become feral and anyone trying to show them how to live and conduct themselves into a good life would be pointless it would be so alien to them that they would rebel against it !!!!...

It is a very sad situation for the majority of them some do find it in themselves to turn their life around but sadly too many don’t and that is very sad indeed !!!!....

A typical example of the old S/F, full of banned users, not the nicest place.

6 hours ago, dutch said:

Such a joke people getting upset calling some poor beggars by the parking machine scammers. If I want to see real lying scamming professional beggars I look direction #10 and friends. 

Missed the point altogether there Dutch.

These weren't poor beggars in any way, £20+ an hour tax free is better than any min/working wage.

Still nothing said about, or anyone telling me I didn't see the third chancer obviously in charge of the other two pull

a wad of notes out of his inside pocket.

Keep safe

30 minutes ago, crookesey said:

A typical example of the old S/F, full of banned users, not the nicest place.

So you dont like people who have a different opinion to you?

30 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you dont like people who have a different opinion to you?

Not when they can ban posters because their opinion has power, now get a life and don’t expect any more replies from me, goodbye. 

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Times have changed.  The places like Middlewood Mental Hospital that dealt with huge numbers of mental health issues have closed, they were supposed to be replaced with 'Care in the Community' but weren't, so you get more people with mental health issues on the street.

Add to that the complexity of modern life that more people find all but impossible to deal with, and you get more people on the street. The draconian laws around Universal credit and sanctions means more people are being made homeless, and end up on the street. 

An influx of migrants who haven't assimilated to our culture see begging as a normal way of life are on the street.

And yes in a corrupt world where corruption starts at the top, I'm sure a few will take advantage to do likewise for themselves.  

So is it surprising the town centres of most Northern cities are awash with beggars? As for getting jobs, once you're on the street having lost everything it's a long way back. You can't just 'get a job' with nowhere to wash, eat or sleep.

And frankly if I was on the street I might well turn to alcohol or drugs to numb the reality of life. Many are on drugs as a symptom  of street life, not the cause of it.

Basically your right. Job Centres sanction like no tomorrow then roundabout of been made homeless starts. They get help  only to be sanctioned again then back onto the streets no wonder many don't seem bothered about getting off the streets permanently with that carry on what's the point?. We live in the 21st Century but act more like we are still in the 19th Century we need big change now otherwise future generations will be condemned though no fault of their own.

Edited by GabrielC

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

Not when they can ban posters because their opinion has power, now get a life and don’t expect any more replies from me, goodbye. 

Is that a yes then?

3 hours ago, Box11 said:

Like I have said many times before many of the homeless today are from our care system......

Back in 1979 the authorities changed children homes from strict to allowing children in their care to do what they wanted to do !!!!.....

Before that date mentioned above children’s homes were very strict places run by matrons !!!!....

Many of these children have grown up living a life that is destructive to themselves and us !!!!....

smoking,taking drugs,staying up to all hours, coming and going at all hours,interacting with young adults and much worse !!!......

Basically they become feral and anyone trying to show them how to live and conduct themselves into a good life would be pointless it would be so alien to them that they would rebel against it !!!!...

It is a very sad situation for the majority of them some do find it in themselves to turn their life around but sadly too many don’t and that is very sad indeed !!!!....

Care homes have never been nice places to be. I believe the change you talk about in 1979 gave the children rights, which was misinterpreted.  A lot of abused children past and present come from the care home systems. They fall prey to anyone giving them attention, showing them 'kindness,' and then the perpetrators manipulate and use them.

Some people have very little chance in this world.  

5 hours ago, Box11 said:

Wow, really !!!....

Sounds like great fun !!!....

Where do I sign up !!!!....

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Care homes have never been nice places to be. I believe the change you talk about in 1979 gave the children rights, which was misinterpreted.  A lot of abused children past and present come from the care home systems. They fall prey to anyone giving them attention, showing them 'kindness,' and then the perpetrators manipulate and use them.

Some people have very little chance in this world.  

Trust me no children from 1979 were given rights !!....

I know someone who had his brother torn away from him separated to different children’s homes by Sheffield Social Services then placed with a family who were horrible to him for 5 long years during his time with that family he asked his Social Worker that he hated being with them and wanted to leave the Social Worker told him:

“There is no where else for you to go” !!..

The all system stinks there was also a lovely family who wanted to adopt them both before they split them up but Social Services’s turned it down they are disgusting to say the least !!!....

He was treated very unfairly by the system and could have quite quickly turned  out the other way and ended up on drugs drink and homeless if it wasn’t for his strong strength within himself to be successful !!!!....

Many children in the care of social services before 1979 did have it hard and abuse did take place but come on Anna B were there young adults in their thousands on streets in every town and city’s on drink and drugs begging across the Uk answer is no !!!!!...

Social Services and many organisations in league with them are not fit for purpose and to this day my friend would never engage with any of them period !!!!.......

Edited by Box11

On 05/09/2021 at 21:36, Box11 said:

Trust me no children from 1979 were given rights !!....

I know someone who had his brother torn away from him separated to different children’s homes by Sheffield Social Services then placed with a family who were horrible to him for 5 long years during his time with that family he asked his Social Worker that he hated being with them and wanted to leave the Social Worker told him:

“There is no where else for you to go” !!..

The all system stinks there was also a lovely family who wanted to adopt them both before they split them up but Social Services’s turned it down they are disgusting to say the least !!!....

He was treated very unfairly by the system and could have quite quickly turned  out the other way and ended up on drugs drink and homeless if it wasn’t for his strong strength within himself to be successful !!!!....

Many children in the care of social services before 1979 did have it hard and abuse did take place but come on Anna B were there young adults in their thousands on streets in every town and city’s on drink and drugs begging across the Uk answer is no !!!!!...

Social Services and many organisations in league with them are not fit for purpose and to this day my friend would never engage with any of them period !!!!.......

Secret courts in the family division have a lot to answer for as well. 

Everyone deserves to have a good upbringing in a happy, decent family to get a good start in  life, but of course that doesn't happen for everyone.

And these days with all the myriad problems, maybe happy families are becoming rarer.

If you have a happy family, or come from one, count yourself fortunate  and very blessed. It's a strong foundation that will see you through the slings and arrows of everyday life.

But always remember some others are not so lucky...

Edited by Anna B