Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

just because he's poor and homeless doesn't mean he cant have a phone

It was a smart phone. Sorry, but someone who has the money and organisation to get a smart phone, and knowledge of how to use one, is not someone who needs to be begging.

 

Actually, whilst I'm on, we were in Gloucester just over a month ago. A beggar was asking us for money etc saying he hadn't eaten etc. As mentioned before I remembered when someone had helped me when I'd lost my bus fare years ago, so I offered to buy him a sandwich from Subway. He then changed his story to "no, I need the money for my leccy bill".

No, he was a scammer, and people like him should be ashamed of themselves because they put people off from helping those who really do need it. Like I did when I lost my bus fare all those years ago.....

Edited by Justin Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why dont idiotic people of Sheffield JUST STOP GIVING to these scumbags ,they then would move on when they realise the people have got wise to there scams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, leginemro said:

Why dont idiotic people of Sheffield JUST STOP GIVING to these scumbags ,they then would move on when they realise the people have got wise to their scams 

I have yet to START giving to said scumbags.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

It was a smart phone. Sorry, but someone who has the money and organisation to get a smart phone, and knowledge of how to use one, is not someone who needs to be begging.

perhaps he had it before he became homeless perhaps a charity gave him it and even before this it was very hard to interact with the state without one.

 

https://invisiblepeople.tv/why-do-some-homeless-people-have-cell-phones/

 

22 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

No, he was a scammer, and people like him should be ashamed of themselves because they put people off from helping those who really do need it. Like I did when I lost my bus fare all those years ago.....

the advice from all agencies i've seen has consistently been not to give people money as that doesn't help them break out of the lifestyle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, leginemro said:

Why dont idiotic people of Sheffield JUST STOP GIVING to these scumbags ,they then would move on when they realise the people have got wise to there scams 

They aren't all scumbags. I had genuinely lost my money and couldn't get home, a 7 mile plus journey at about 14. What I would say is don't give "beggars" money, if they say they need the bus fare, give it straight to the driver or if they say they're hungry, buy them a sandwich, etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.