Jump to content
We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Click here for details.

Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You're full of heart. Try imagining how it might feel, be glad for what you've got and let go of the hate.

I agree.  I'm well over state pension age, and I count myself lucky in comparison to previous generations in retirement. 

 

If he is of state pension age, which he well may be, he shouldn't need to beg if he's getting his entitlements.  The Archer project offers so much help.  However, if as Catmiss says, he's resistant to help, then its his choice to brave the elements.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Halibut said:

You're full of heart. Try imagining how it might feel, be glad for what you've got and let go of the hate.

So he's pretending to be homeless. He's begging for your money and sympathy, but only when the shop's open, and then according to a witness, he wanders off home again.

Explain to me how that isn't a con.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

So he's pretending to be homeless. He's begging for your money and sympathy, but only when the shop's open, and then according to a witness, he wanders off home again.

Explain to me how that isn't a con.

 

He doesn't have a sign saying he's homeless, he may have somewhere to sleep, but no money.  Not all beggars are technically homeless, there are so many reasons why he may be sitting outside, in the cold, every day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

He doesn't have a sign saying he's homeless, he may have somewhere to sleep, but no money.  Not all beggars are technically homeless, there are so many reasons why he may be sitting outside, in the cold, every day.  

It’s a very awkward situation isn’t it Mrs.M ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

He doesn't have a sign saying he's homeless, he may have somewhere to sleep, but no money.  Not all beggars are technically homeless, there are so many reasons why he may be sitting outside, in the cold, every day.  

Like i said previously begging for drug money, he smokes,he has a mobile phone, lives in a housing assosiation house. How do i know this ? because i live very near him on the same road and i see what goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this question has already been answered on this thread, please excuse me.

 

I was watching Newsnight recently, and one of the articles was about how Liverpool City Council were using the spare capacity of the hotels in the area to house the homeless during the period of lockdown. 

I was heartened to see that amidst all the uncertainty for many that Coronavirus has wreaked, at least some of the least fortunate are getting an opportunity for some comfort.

I was just wanting to know if this is a nationwide scheme to ensure that the homeless are protected. If not does anyone know if Sheffield City Council has made some provision for the homeless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All local authorities were told a few weeks ago to do whatever they can to get the homeless inside, empty hotels were suggested. The government only put a few million £ into this scheme specifically, but referred to an extra £1.6bn in funding for councils to respond to coronavirus pressures. 

 

There's still plenty of homeless (or beggars) about in Sheffield not sure why this is. Empty hotels and apartments should be plentiful, money perhaps an issue but if other places have enough why not us, perhaps some of the homeless are refusing the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steelworker said:

All local authorities were told a few weeks ago to do whatever they can to get the homeless inside, empty hotels were suggested. The government only put a few million £ into this scheme specifically, but referred to an extra £1.6bn in funding for councils to respond to coronavirus pressures. 

 

There's still plenty of homeless (or beggars) about in Sheffield not sure why this is. Empty hotels and apartments should be plentiful, money perhaps an issue but if other places have enough why not us, perhaps some of the homeless are refusing the help.

Have you tried asking them? They are quite easy to chat to, especially if you go armed with a sandwich and hot cup of tea or coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 16/04/2020 at 13:38, Steelworker said:

All local authorities were told a few weeks ago to do whatever they can to get the homeless inside, empty hotels were suggested. The government only put a few million £ into this scheme specifically, but referred to an extra £1.6bn in funding for councils to respond to coronavirus pressures. 

 

There's still plenty of homeless (or beggars) about in Sheffield not sure why this is. Empty hotels and apartments should be plentiful, money perhaps an issue but if other places have enough why not us, perhaps some of the homeless are refusing the help.

In my experience longer term homeless  people often refuse accommodation offered as the accompanying conditions don’t accommodate their lifestyles  e.g. curfews, visitors, substance misuse. I’ve worked with a lot of individuals who have been supported to access numerous accommodation options but are unable to adhere to the requisite behaviours and are consequently barred. Unsurprisingly many of these people feel unable to engage with housing or other services and as street support with housing and underlying issues is severely under resourced there will always be a homelessness issue. The latest advice is not to provide money/food/drink to individuals in the hope they will be forced to access agencies such as the Archer Project. Such projects do excellent work but, for protection of service users and staff, have acceptable behaviour policies which some people cannot adhere to and end up being barred. The complex needs and experiences of some homeless people will never be solved by just putting a roof over their heads

Edited by catmiss
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, catmiss said:

In my experience longer term homeless  people often refuse accommodation offered as the accompanying conditions don’t accommodate their lifestyles  e.g. curfews, visitors, substance misuse. I’ve worked with a lot of individuals who have been supported to access numerous accommodation options but are unable to adhere to the requisite behaviours and are consequently barred. Unsurprisingly many of these people feel unable to engage with housing or other services and as street support with housing and underlying issues is severely under resourced there will always be a homelessness issue. The latest advice is not to provide money/food/drink to individuals in the hope they will be forced to access agencies such as the Archer Project. Such projects do excellent work but, for protection of service users and staff, have acceptable behaviour policies which some people cannot adhere to and end up being barred. The complex needs and experiences of some homeless people will never be solved by just putting a roof over their heads

Another reason some homeless people 'don't engage' is that they have in the past being robbed or sexually abused by other residents while in homeless hostels.

6 hours ago, catmiss said:

The complex needs and experiences of some homeless people will never be solved by just putting a roof over their heads

What can work in those cases is giving them accomadation without conditions- that has had great success in projects in other countries.

Also in other projects, simply giving homeless people money, with no conditions, has resulted in some of them ceasing to be homeless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of points either way.....

 

There's a beggar in Hillsborough who always looks helpless and poor, I saw him on his mobile phone the other day......

 

People asking you for a bus fare aren't always scamming. I can remember when I was about 14 and I'd lost my money. I had nothing for the bus fare home and it was about 7 miles to walk.... Some kind bloke gave me the fare *, I've never forgotten that act of kindness.

 

* or he might have given it straight to the driver, which is what you should do to avoid scammers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/04/2020 at 09:16, Justin Smith said:

A couple of points either way.....

 

There's a beggar in Hillsborough who always looks helpless and poor, I saw him on his mobile phone the other day......

 

just because he's poor and homeless doesn't mean he cant have a phone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.