Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

10 hours ago, thecult said:

Different cultures have different answers. Portugal solution works for them and I'm glad for that.

Still, my question remains unanswered, where is your "understanding and knowledge" from this subject coming from? As you speak with such confidence in what you say, however none of which relates to the situations we face in the UK

Some "understanding and knowledge" could come from watching the linked to video, and many other documentaries of how a health based approach can yield much better results than prohibition/war on drugs.

Portugal had a worse heroin problem than we do, and now has the lowest drug related death rate in Europe- acheived through redirecting funds from policing drug use, to health care for addicts.

Our Big Issue seller in Somerset went to Croatia for two weeks on holiday.. WTF?

8 minutes ago, sedith said:

Our Big Issue seller in Somerset went to Croatia for two weeks on holiday.. WTF?

Bit tight your lot down there, ours went to the Maldives.

31 minutes ago, sedith said:

Although a google search for "somerset big issue seller holiday croatia" draws a complete blank.

14 hours ago, Longcol said:

Although a google search for "somerset big issue seller holiday croatia" draws a complete blank.

So does `longcol sheffield holiday spain` but that doesn't mean you haven't been on holiday to Spain.

On 01/02/2020 at 02:27, crookesjoe said:

However, there are many that have had terrible lives, abuse victims, mental health issues, victims of crime etc that have led to their situation. 

More should be done as a society to help these people, especially the approach to the treatment of serious drug addiction.

I Completely Agree 

On 30/01/2020 at 19:27, thecult said:

Apart from all the know side effects ? Which includes all the effects you have listed (minus diarrhea and replaced with constipation).  Plus of course the crippling dependance which just gets worse over time.

Yes we are aware that going cold turkey is not great but its a damn sight better than od'ing

Handing it out freely to addicts is not going to solve anything. They will only top up with street gear as they do on methodone.

Education is what is needed, along with the will of the user to stop for a better life

Edit : Can i ask were your "knowledge and understanding" for this subject matter is coming from? Apologies if you have already mentioned,its a long thread

I have a close relative who is a Heroin Addict & has been for almost 30 years.

Q.. where does your supposedly expert knowledge come from ?

Edited by Pussycat12

8 hours ago, the_bloke said:

So does `longcol sheffield holiday spain` but that doesn't mean you haven't been on holiday to Spain.

I think the big issue seller going on holiday would be rather more newsworthy - what do you think?

On 28/01/2020 at 23:32, lottiecass said:

My pitiful lack of knowledge on this subject? I know far more about this subject than you realise. You have a typical liberal attitude. It is possible to be weaned off heroin without the severe side effects but you would know that. So who makes them carry on using? Crass ignorance is thinking addicts have no other choice.

Then please enlighten us. As you know so much on the subject, I presume you've read the very comprehensive Roundtree report on the subject. 

Why do you disagree with its conclusions, which states that an increase in the provision of giving heroin as treatment in multi-centre, randomised, controlled trials is well overdue. You seem to be very much against this. What do you know that they didn't? 

Edited by Robin-H

On 03/02/2020 at 21:49, sedith said:

Maybe they worked really hard? Maybe someone kind bought them the holiday?

It almost sounds like you resent them having done this...if they did.

People will always judge on individual experiences. Get your head around this scenario; 

Remember back in November when the Xmas cabins appeared on Fargate, we took our 3 year old granddaughter and one year old grandson down to see the lights and meet Father Christmas. It was a very cold evening and we bought the kids 3 hot sausage rolls from Greggs. Robyn tucked into hers and for Rory we broke one in half as he couldn't manage a full one (wife's a veggie so I had the other half). We held on to the 3rd one in case Robyn got hungry again later in the evening. She didn't, so rather than take a sausage roll home my wife offered it to a man sat outside WHSmith. He took it, looked at her and gave it back immediately saying "It's cold. Don't want a cold one". The distain on his face was evident.

So that comes back to the real truth of 'homeless' people in the city centre; are they genuinely homeless/hungry or just druggies who are offended if you don't give them cash? How are we ever to know? Simple answer - we never will. Do we stop trying to help? Well, if anymore of that behaviour continues, probably. 

14 hours ago, Longcol said:

I think the big issue seller going on holiday would be rather more newsworthy - what do you think?

Seeing as how most provincial newspaper reporters rely on forums and Facebook for their news, I'd now expect it to be in the paper in a week or so.