Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

29 minutes ago, pattricia said:

So you are saying the research is wrong then ? A beggar in Sheffield the other week , after begging all day, was followed back to a very nice house that he owned ! A much nicer house than the people owned who were giving him money !

Right I will shove you a couple of quid through your letter box tonight ! Lol.....

I went into town in July, nice warm day, had a couple of pints, and fell asleep in the Peace Gardens..

When I woke up I had £7-37p in my lap, 2 ham sandwiches, and half a bottle of coke.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Yes I am.

i heard something about that guy - was he the one at Crookes? That doesnt mean it applies to everyone.

its weird that you seem to really dislike people because they are worse off than you - what a peculiar standpoint.

Not at all ! You are misunderstanding other people’s points of view.! South Yorkshire Police have told Sheffielders over and over again : 

1. Do not give these people money

2. Most are not homeless

3. They will spend the money on drink and drugs.

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

I went into town in July, nice warm day, had a couple of pints, and fell asleep in the Peace Gardens..

When I woke up I had £7-37p in my lap, 2 ham sandwiches, and half a bottle of coke.

Funniest post on SF ever !!!

There may be the odd unscrupulous person asking for money, but if we know nothing of their background and what they have experienced in their lives we shouldn't jump to conclusions judging them to be all the same. 

I'm sure most of them didn't plan to be homeless and begging on the streets, or be mentally ill, or be suffering from an addiction etc etc. 

In a different life situation that person being demonised could be any one of us. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Not at all ! You are misunderstanding other people’s points of view.! South Yorkshire Police have told Sheffielders over and over again : 

1. Do not give these people money

2. Most are not homeless

3. They will spend the money on drink and drugs.

You appear to include all people that are begging in the same bracket though.

ie con artists with affluent homes they secretly reside in. if you want to make a point that it is wrong to do this that’s fine and valid - you aren’t doing that though really are you? 

Edited by makapaka

18 hours ago, Janus said:

Since begging IS Illegal in England and Wales. Why is nothing ever done about it.?

Is it something that cant be policed or enforced? 

3 hours ago, janie48 said:

There may be the odd unscrupulous person asking for money, but if we know nothing of their background and what they have experienced in their lives we shouldn't jump to conclusions judging them to be all the same. 

I'm sure most of them didn't plan to be homeless and begging on the streets, or be mentally ill, or be suffering from an addiction etc etc. 

In a different life situation that person being demonised could be any one of us. 

Nice to read a different point of view on this subject Janie.

19 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Since begging IS Illegal in England and Wales. Why is nothing ever done about it.?

Is it something that cant be policed or enforced? 

There’s nothing much they can do about it FinBak, because even if they move them on, they just squat down somewhere else. I used to get frustrated while working in A & E when the queue was held up with drunks and drug addicts, while an old person with a chest infection was left waiting for treatment, I once saw one of my colleagues floored with one punch from a druggie. However, a nurse cannot refuse to treat them.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

There’s nothing much they can do about it FinBak, because even if they move them on, they just squat down somewhere else. I used to get frustrated while working in A & E when the queue was held up with drunks and drug addicts, while an old person with a chest infection was left waiting for treatment, I once saw one of my colleagues floored with one punch from a druggie. However, a nurse cannot refuse to treat them.

Funny you should say that...I had a nasty eye injury back in 2010...I attended the A+E at Halamshire...9PM at night.

I was there for 8 hours before I was seen...!!

In between this there were several 'Drunks' shouting and kicking off who were seen before me.

How do you work that one out?

7 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Funny you should say that...I had a nasty eye injury back in 2010...I attended the A+E at Halamshire...9PM at night.

I was there for 8 hours before I was seen...!!

In between this there were several 'Drunks' shouting and kicking off who were seen before me.

How do you work that one out?

Happens all the time FinBak ! Also you dare not leave any medical needles or drugs laying about or the addicts pinch them ! 

12 hours ago, Halibut said:

You say that like it's a bad thing - try living on the streets a while and you'd probably be very glad of some strong booze and drugs.

It's like walking into an empathy vacuum on here much of the time.

'Try living on the street'  - ???    'Cathy come home' did it for me. I made up my mind up all them years ago not to default on my mortgage, stick needles in my arm (apart from them at' tattooist) or let booze take over.  I've been made redundant more than once because there's no working for the same company for 40 years anymore them days have gone , not once have i thought of begging on the streets. Fair enough when it happens you don't eat steak for a while and you might have to go back to basics for a while not turn to drugs and booze you can't afford.

Show kids 'Cathy come home' at School is what I say.

Looks like one person has been banned from the city centre for 10 years for begging ,be nice to see how the police will enforce it 

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Show kids 'Cathy come home' at School is what I say.

Yeah, that'll solve alcoholism, addiction, sexual abuse, PTSD and homelessness within a generation I'm sure.