Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

10 minutes ago, prolific said:

i know no one should be out on the street, some people clearly can't cope with life and end up on the street.

People treat pets like family, would you see your dog on the street?

is it ethical for people to have dogs while homeless? 

That's a very wide ranging question - are there some homeless people who have dogs for all the right reasons and probably look after them better than themselves, absolutely. Are there some who have them as a business decision, unfortunately yes too.

You could look at it this way, lots of people with dogs go to work and dogs are left at home for hours on end, at least they have companionship all the time with homeless owners if they are loved. as pets should be.

9 minutes ago, Halibut said:

By finding the money somehow, or obtaining free treatment, same as anyone else.

how can you get free treatment for animals with no address and proof of benefits? 

6 minutes ago, Eccy Beach said:

That's a very wide ranging question - are there some homeless people who have dogs for all the right reasons and probably look after them better than themselves, absolutely. Are there some who have them as a business decision, unfortunately yes too.

You could look at it this way, lots of people with dogs go to work and dogs are left at home for hours on end, at least they have companionship all the time with homeless owners if they are loved. as pets should be.

agree on people living there dogs for 8 to 12 hours a day. 

What are you proposing, that if someone loses their home then someone takes away their animal?  To what end, there are an excess of animals in shelters and ultimately many are euthanised because there are insufficient people who want them...  So as it stands I see your proposal as saying that it's better to kill an animal than let it live with someone who has no address.  And you think that's an ethical argument!

25 minutes ago, prolific said:

how would the person get the animal treated if it was sick?

How does someone who's very poor get a pet treated?

57 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

PDSA

57 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

What are you proposing, that if someone loses their home then someone takes away their animal?  To what end, there are an excess of animals in shelters and ultimately many are euthanised because there are insufficient people who want them...  So as it stands I see your proposal as saying that it's better to kill an animal than let it live with someone who has no address.  And you think that's an ethical argument!

Like a lot of people do! take them to the PDSA.

18 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

PDSA

Do they refuse to treat the pets of homeless people?

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/free-veterinary-care-homeless-peoples-dogs-can-change-lives/

It looks like the PDSA and various other charities will offer treatment to the pets of the homeless.

This particular story also makes it clear how important these pets are.

A dog is very close to being a wild animal and cope on its own if needs be. They crave companionship, and a dog with a person in a homeless situation will be happier than lots of house dogs.

Of course it needs food and warmth and to be treated by a vet if necessary. pretty much the same situation as the homeless person I suppose.

Seems a bit odd if we extract the dog, and leave the person!

Based on the number of dogs on facebook escaping without collars and dogs being mistreated or left for hours and my considerable experience in rescue and rehoming I'd say some of them are better off than living in a home with some of the morons i deal with.

52 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Nicely reasoned.

I asked a homeless chap how he could afford to keep a dog and he told me if you are registered as having a dog then you can claim extra money.

14 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

I asked a homeless chap how he could afford to keep a dog and he told me if you are registered as having a dog then you can claim extra money.

how what that ever work !

8 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

A dog is very close to being a wild animal and cope on its own if needs be. They crave companionship, and a dog with a person in a homeless situation will be happier than lots of house dogs.

Of course it needs food and warmth and to be treated by a vet if necessary. pretty much the same situation as the homeless person I suppose.

dogs are nothing like wild animals read into them