Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Helping the poor, assisting those who need help, by middle lower classes is part and structure of english culture history.

Nothing will change unless thousands of people would stand and protest for their rights.

When I was young people protested all the time for all sortsts of things in many countries including england.

These protests dont happen anymore, people are tired and politicians have smart ways of getting around them ignoring what is being said. I also think internet has changed a lot where people talk online but dont protest in person to the government anymore. Internet has weakened the strength of that voice despite connecting people online.

EXACTLY! I think they should donate some of their salary, if theyre supposed to be helping the homeless

Donate some of 15K? for a CEO position?

to use your capitals REALLY?????????????

And more to the point, you don't know if they do make a donation. If the CEO is working a 40 hour week then that equates to £7.50/hr to be CEO of a organisation.

I'll compare it to Oxfams biggest earner who was paid c£125,000

don't suggest the Sally Army's are taking the money away from the people they are meant to be supporting.

Im happy to hand over my cash as its not all street dwellers who are addicts. I dont really care what they spend the money on anyway. What i so care about is that whatever they do spend the money on will give them some feeling of ease of mind....no matter what produces that. When ive handed over my money, (and no one has the right to tell me how to spend it) its then their money, and they have the right to spend it on what they want.

I met one chap who saved every penny that he collected. ( it took him 7 weeks) and booked himself into travelodge for 2 nights during the winter. So who are you to assume it goes on drugs. He was able to sleep , eat, shower and have peace of mind for 2 nights

For 2 nights? Then what?

People begging on the streets are highly unlikely to be in a position to help themselves out of their situation with a passers by handing over 'spare change'. Due to mental illness, addiction and/or myriad of other complex issues. Saying giving money directly to them gives them some 'feeling of ease of mind' is actually saying, 'here have some money even if you spend it on drugs it's OK because there's no hope for you.' At least by giving to a charity, the money will go towards helping people OFF the streets not enabling to them decline further into their own demise. If you are concerned about overpaid CEO's, give to small local charities.

And is putting money in to the black market of drug dealing by giving beggars money to buy spice a good thing?

When the rich get richer

The poor get poorer

Helping the poor, assisting those who need help, by middle lower classes is part and structure of english culture history.

Nothing will change unless thousands of people would stand and protest for their rights.

When I was young people protested all the time for all sortsts of things in many countries including england.

These protests dont happen anymore, people are tired and politicians have smart ways of getting around them ignoring what is being said. I also think internet has changed a lot where people talk online but dont protest in person to the government anymore. Internet has weakened the strength of that voice despite connecting people online.

I think you're right, especially about the internet diluting protest. However protests do still happen, they just don't get much media attention unless they turn violent.

---------- Post added 15-10-2018 at 18:36 ----------

What the hell has any of that got to do with costs of a national conference?

What has a national conference to do with charity? In my experience conferences are more about an expensive jolly away from work, with plenty of back slapping and self congratulation. They don't achieve very much.

Now, if all the charities got together to organise and amalgamate each into their specific field, thereby cutting administration and expenses ccosts, that might be a conference worth having. But it's not going to happen is it? Charity is big business now.

Protests are still very much happening, perhaps it's just that dutch doesn't read the news anymore.

---------- Post added 16-10-2018 at 07:36 ----------

I pay my taxes and NI which goea towards paying benefits to people.

Why should i pay again?

Where does the personal responsibility come in to play?

Do don't give anything then if you don't feel like you should. Nobody is trying to make you.

---------- Post added 16-10-2018 at 07:39 ----------

I don't need to; perhaps you can tell me why I should give cash to a beggar on the street in preference of food, clothing or giving via charity?

In your opinion of course.

To give them self determination and agency...

Do you want to help them, or do you want to feel better about yourself?

You might not like the fact that they want to drink Special Brew, but presumably you expect your employer to pay you in cash and you decide when to eat and when to have a beer, why are these people different to you?

You might not like the fact that they want to drink Special Brew, but presumably you expect your employer to pay you in cash and you decide when to eat and when to have a beer, why are these people different to you?

But in return for the employer's cash, there is an obligation to fullfil a contract and if it isn't, the consideration (cash) is withdrawn. In a charitable act there is no legal contract but rather an expectancy or hope that the recipient uses the gift in a beneficial manner towards him/herself.

But in return for the employer's cash, there is an obligation to fullfil a contract and if it isn't, the consideration (cash) is withdrawn. In a charitable act there is no legal contract but rather an expectancy or hope that the recipient uses the gift in a beneficial manner towards him/herself.

Instead what happens if you give money to beggars and they are the ones that spend it on spice you pay twice. Once to the beggar and the second time in taxes for the police ambulance services etc that have to treat the spice addict.

I don't need to give them cash to help them; as I've pointed out there are better methods than giving them cash, methods suggested by charities and the Police.

My employer pays me because I provide them something in return, it's in my contract. A beggar on the street gives me nothing in return, I have no obligation to give them anything so I'd rather what I do give them is actually going to keep them alive (clothes/food) than give them drugs or booze which helps no one.

Deciding not to give cash and help in other ways is nothing to do with feeling better about myself, it's common sense.

I don't carry change on me anymore, not for a long time, so there's nothing I could give anyway in terms of cash. What really bugs me though is the ones who decide to sit outside of a cash point, or a shop door, asking for money. Just seems like a way to try and guilt people into giving, or make them feel bad.

Some homeless people are genuine, and need support, not always having drink, or drug problems, just either had a hard time, or they never settle down into a house, for whatever reason. Then there are some who cause problems, or are begging just to make money, I remember seeing one who had a cast on her leg one day, begging, then it's gone the next day, Jesus must have stepped in!

If I was to give something, it would be food, as I am more likley to be able to buy that, than give money, since as first mentioned, I don't carry change very often! And I can buy food on a card.

Instead what happens if you give money to beggars and they are the ones that spend it on spice you pay twice. Once to the beggar and the second time in taxes for the police ambulance services etc that have to treat the spice addict.

Yes. It’s utter joke trying to draw a comparison between a salary from an employer and money handed over to beggars.

To those who think it’s fine for beggars to spend money given to them on drugs, at least give some thought to the strain this places on the ambulance service alone. What if an ambulance didn’t get to you or your family in time because the service was overstretched attending to drug related incidents?