Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I think we need to focus why there is an increase of begging and homelessness. Austerity Britain might have something to do with it.

Personal responsibility has to come in to it. There are organisations within Sheffield working to try and sort the problem, but many of these people are unwilling to engage with support services. From a briefing we had a work from someone in one of these organisations, many of them are part of OCGs who move around the local area and use begging as a scam. They earn a fair whack in Sheffield, meaning that some of them travel from places like Doncaster as it's definitely worth the trip.

Also, many of these people are tenants in social housing, it's just easier for someone else to sort things out for them than take responsibility for themselves.

I was born in Sheffield (I now live in Chesterfield) and don't manage to get back to Sheffield that often. This is mainly due to work commitments than anything else. I do however like Sheffield.

I was reminded of this thread yesterday though.

I was at Sheffield Train Station and was early so I sat outside The Sheffield Tap with a glass of wine.

Literally within 2 minutes of me sitting down with my drink, a guy approached me asking me for money.

I said that I didn't have any money on me, as per the advice on this thread (good advice) I did give him a cigarette though.

One of them is a regular visitor to the Tap garden. Bouncers sometimes send him on his way.

One of them is a regular visitor to the Tap garden. Bouncers sometimes send him on his way.

When it gets bad in the train station announces the Help us Help anouncment about not giving money but donating to charity instead. Its a huge problem for them. You see a few congregating outside.

From a briefing we had a work from someone in one of these organisations, many of them are part of OCGs who move around the local area and use begging as a scam. .

i obviously read your post but would you please define OCGs.

from Wikipedia and none of these seem to fit.

OCG may refer to:

Operation Clean Government

Orchestre de chambre de Genève

City of Granada Orchestra (Orquesta Ciudad de Granada)

Outside Counsel Guidelines (in use by law firms enlisting other law firms in local jurisdictions on multi-jurisdictional deals)

i obviously read your post but would you please define OCGs.

from Wikipedia and none of these seem to fit.

OCG may refer to:

Operation Clean Government

Orchestre de chambre de Genève

City of Granada Orchestra (Orquesta Ciudad de Granada)

Outside Counsel Guidelines (in use by law firms enlisting other law firms in local jurisdictions on multi-jurisdictional deals)

I'd hazard a guess at organised crime gangs.

I'd hazard a guess at organised crime gangs.

Bingo!

Apologies for the abbreviations everyone.

why dont we just get rid of all the scumbags off the streets in town ,they are a drain on everyone ,STOP GIVING ,JUST STOP GIVING to them then perhaps the scum would go away

why dont we just get rid of all the scumbags off the streets in town ,they are a drain on everyone ,STOP GIVING ,JUST STOP GIVING to them then perhaps the scum would go away

Actually despite your angry rant. Most of the charities are advising the same. Be it in a rather more tactful way.

http://www.helpushelp.uk/help.php#money

Nasty post

They'd turn to burglary, mugging, shoplifting.....................

---------- Post added 05-10-2018 at 13:22 ----------

Actually despite your angry rant. Most of the charities are advising the same. Be it in a rather more tactful way.

http://www.helpushelp.uk/help.php#money

I think you'll find that is most of the christian / church based charities - most organisations working in the sector say it's an individual decision.

They'd turn to burglary, mugging, shoplifting.....................

---------- Post added 05-10-2018 at 13:22 ----------

I think you'll find that is most of the christian / church based charities - most organisations working in the sector say it's an individual decision.

To be honest it is an individuals decision. No one can stop people from giving money.

And there are some people who genuinely are homeless and need to money for food and drink. However the average joe and joanne on the street wont know that when they have just been asked. So I would encourage to be cautious and instead of giving money offer food drink or essentials and if people want to give money donate to a charity that is out there helping.

As for them turning to crime yes that will happen. However are we saying here that we would rather give them money to fuel an addiction and potentially lose their lives than risk the short term consequences of them not having the money so we can effectively force them to get the help they need. As the ones we are discussing are simply not taking the help that is offered hence the rise in begging and spice.

And where would you have them go?

If you feel you don't want to give then don't.. there really is no need to offer seemingly pointless advice without at least offering a potential solution.