Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

From December 2017:

Labour Councillor Says The Only Way To Tackle Begging Is To Fine Offenders

http://manchestergazette.co.uk/labour-councillor-says-way-tackle-begging-fine-offenders/705

Yeah, that's real joined up thinking. Let's fine people who have no money. When they can't pay we'll fine them some more, and if they still don't pay we'll put them in jail. Oh dear, the jails are full.....

On The Spot fines to instantly remove their ill-gotten gains and therefore their drug purchasing power would be ideal.

Yeah, that's real joined up thinking. Let's fine people who have no money. When they can't pay we'll fine them some more, and if they still don't pay we'll put them in jail. Oh dear, the jails are full.....

Says who??

Once again you see everything as black and white. Once again you do the over simplistic reactionary response. Once again you never think about the bigger picture.

Not every "beggar" on the street is destitute and has no money.

Not every "beggar" on the street is homeless.

Not every "beggar" needs to and should be there.

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 13:07 ----------

On The Spot fines to instantly remove their ill-gotten gains and therefore their drug purchasing power would be ideal.

Could not agree more.

Says who??

Once again you see everything as black and white. Once again you do the over simplistic reactionary response. Once again you never think about the bigger picture.

Not every "beggar" on the street is destitute and has no money.

Not every "beggar" on the street is homeless.

Not every "beggar" needs to and should be there.

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 13:07 ----------

Could not agree more.

Exactly and to avoid black and white. If they want money and say they want it for food offer food. If they say they want money and want it for a drink offer to buy them a cuppa etc. If they are genuine they will accept if they are not they will tell you in no uncertain terms and you will know what they need the money for.

There's a beggar in Southport. He sits at the same place every day. Until 9.30 at night when he hops on the bus home.

If he had his takings confiscated he'd soon give up.

Here's a question someone asked me the other day.

When we were young & well into the 1970's, cities & town ls had tramps & nothing else.

When exactly were tramps re-branded?

I remember a while ago now the bloke who used to beg outside the fountain water feature near the train station used to regularly walk down the hill for his "shift" in the morning with a dog. He has since moved on now as the one there I dont recognise.

must admit i never offer any assistance to homeless people with dogs as i believe they are all frauds. i have never seen one homless person with a dog that looked as though it was hungry and besides if i was hungry i would not have a dog for long.

if we are both thinking of the same guy that youi mention i heard from some genuine homeless people that he died in a RTA in his own car.

must admit i never offer any assistance to homeless people with dogs as i believe they are all frauds. i have never seen one homless person with a dog that looked as though it was hungry and besides if i was hungry i would not have a dog for long.

if we are both thinking of the same guy that youi mention i heard from some genuine homeless people that he died in a RTA in his own car.

Maybe it was. He used to walk down the steps to the train station for his shift so likely to have lived in either Manor oaks, Manor or Wybourn. I do remember ages ago we had one regular Gemma. I'm sure she was discussed here. I heard that she nay have died. As someone matching her description who had turned their life around passed away.

Maybe it was. He used to walk down the steps to the train station for his shift so likely to have lived in either Manor oaks, Manor or Wybourn. I do remember ages ago we had one regular Gemma. I'm sure she was discussed here. I heard that she nay have died. As someone matching her description who had turned their life around passed away.

There was a thread on here, not so long ago saying that Gemma was back. Though of course they may have been mistaken.

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 22:26 ----------

Here's a question someone asked me the other day.

When we were young & well into the 1970's, cities & town ls had tramps & nothing else.

When exactly were tramps re-branded?

I don't think they have been. If this thread (and others on this forum) are anything to go by, people still regard others reduced to begging or living on the street as beneath contempt.

Edited by Mister M

I don't think they have been. If this thread (and others on this forum) are anything to go by, people still regard others reduced to begging or living on the street as beneath contempt.

I certainly regard those who have homes and who choose to beg (or falsely claim to live on the street) as being way way beneath contempt.

I certainly regard those who have homes and who choose to beg (or falsely claim to live on the street) as being way way beneath contempt.

I think everyone would agree with that.

That's something I have no problem agreeing with.