Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Which is all well and good (and very resource intensive) but where will they go next? Broomhill? Kelham Island? Endcliffe Park? It's not dealing with the issue is it?

That is true. Dealing with the issue is not in the power of the police but you and I (not just us but Joe and Joanne public). To stop giving money to beggars. Cut of their income stream. They will then be forced to get help.

Problem is while ever people are giving money they are not getting help.

---------- Post added 30-08-2018 at 16:46 ----------

Shouldnt we try this in Sheffield. Seems like Doncaster have a bright idea.

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/News/extra-police-to-boost-town-centre-patrols

The police just need to stop and search them in a morning

The police can't just stop and search somebody. They can't even stop and search someone even if they are known to be drug dealers. They need almost definite information that makes them believe that person actually has drugs on them at that exact time.

They can't just stop someone who they know is a drug dealer and search them.

I don't know the answer but I do know the police can't win here. If they arrest beggars, those abusing any manner of substances or even dealers feeding their own habits they are accused of going after 'soft' targets and neglecting burglaries and low level assaults. I'd like the city centre free of drug users and beggars and be able to use the tram shelter on West Street which has been taken over by street drinkers but I also would want the police to respond promptly if I was mugged or burgled. Current resources won't stretch to both

walked through town tonight counted at least 20 people on the streets one was spiced we went to london and its shocking down there on the way back on the train a homeless guy came on the train asking for money before been kicked off.

So you've just made up a new law have you?

Because they aren't Drunk, nor Disorderly, so under what law do you think the police have every right to arrest and remove them?

You need to do a bit more research, Sherlock.

0/10

Must try harder.

Just been into town this morning and the Police are out on full patrol. One of the regulars was angry saying and I quote "I can't believe it when we were all out here lying down like (expletive) there wasn't a copper in sight." at the top of his cannon.

Just been into town this morning and the Police are out on full patrol. One of the regulars was angry saying and I quote "I can't believe it when we were all out here lying down like (expletive) there wasn't a copper in sight." at the top of his cannon.

You saying the police are targeting beggars and druggies / drunks?

You saying the police are targeting beggars and druggies / drunks?

I dont know if they are targeting them. According to the Sheffield Stars FB page they are looking into spice as a priority. However I did see about 4 or 5 coppers in the City centre this morning doing patrols. The one regular who made the comment I posted above must have been stopped by them. Another guy was arguing with them outside the old Santander Building opposite McDonalds after been given a piece of paper of some description.

And another regular was debating with a copper outside the coffee shop next to Boots.

They were very active. And about time too. It needs sorting.

I dont know if they are targeting them. According to the Sheffield Stars FB page they are looking into spice as a priority. However I did see about 4 or 5 coppers in the City centre this morning doing patrols. The one regular who made the comment I posted above must have been stopped by them. Another guy was arguing with them outside the old Santander Building opposite McDonalds after been given a piece of paper of some description.

And another regular was debating with a copper outside the coffee shop next to Boots.

They were very active. And about time too. It needs sorting.

Well by lunchtime there were no police around Fargate or the High St. Must have counted a good half dozen out begging. Apart from the scruffy clothing, all reasonably healthy looking, young blokes.

One outside Boots, asking folk, 'Pound for the homeless?' Must be due to inflation?

Rumour has it that Universal Credit is coming to Sheffield by the end of this year, so there will probably be a lot more homeless soon.

Rumour has it that Universal Credit is coming to Sheffield by the end of this year, so there will probably be a lot more homeless soon.

universal credit is in Barnsley. My mate been put on it after losing his ESA. He has to wait 5 weeks for his first payment. He can get an advanced payment though to get him through.

Well by lunchtime there were no police around Fargate or the High St. Must have counted a good half dozen out begging. Apart from the scruffy clothing, all reasonably healthy looking, young blokes.

One outside Boots, asking folk, 'Pound for the homeless?' Must be due to inflation?

This makes me so mad to think of people wasting their life like this.