Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Guest makapaka
You have already asked what the council should do and I replied . And again I ask you what is the point of removing a few benches ? Is it the council TRYING to look proactive , when in the end it just inconveniences law abiding members of the public ?

You replied hackey but you didn’t answer - you just said it was wrong.

I don’t think they’re trying to look proactive - I think they don’t want people on drugs congregating outside a prominent place in the town centre so they’ve tried to stop people sprawling over benches outside the cathedral.

Of course they will go somewhere else but displacing activity like that has always gone on.

It’s sad they’ve felt the need to take that action but are they to blame for it? I don’t think so.

You replied hackey but you didn’t answer - you just said it was wrong.

I don’t think they’re trying to look proactive - I think they don’t want people on drugs congregating outside a prominent place in the town centre so they’ve tried to stop people sprawling over benches outside the cathedral.

Of course they will go somewhere else but displacing activity like that has always gone on.

It’s sad they’ve felt the need to take that action but are they to blame for it? I don’t think so.

I said before , I was sat on those benches 2 weeks ago at the height of the heatwave and it was a welcome sit down in the shade of the trees , there were 2 others sat there , none of us were drunk or on drugs but forget that because some one in the council thought it was a good idea to remove them :huh:

Guest makapaka
I said before , I was sat on those benches 2 weeks ago at the height of the heatwave and it was a welcome sit down in the shade of the trees , there were 2 others sat there , none of us were drunk or on drugs but forget that because some one in the council thought it was a good idea to remove them :huh:

Other people do congregate there though. Some a bit worse for wear.

Other people do congregate there though. Some a bit worse for wear.

More excuses for this councils actions :suspect: . Goodnight . Before I go could you try to answer your own question in post 1321 ?

Edited by hackey lad

Guest makapaka
More excuses for this councils actions :suspect: . Goodnight . Before I go could you try to answer your own question in post 1321 ?

More excuses - not really.

I would say more blaming of the council for something they can have little influence on.

I don’t have an answer as to how the council addresses the issue over spice - I’d probably look at drug laws and policing before them on this issue though.

I went to town today, came out of boots at the bottom of fargate to see a guy stood there having a wee!! He just opened his trousers and did a wee in full view of everyone. This was literally right outside boots where the seats are

I was dumbstruck I couldn’t believe it. A guy with his child shouted at him but he just shouted back and carried on

Then saw a group of men having a fight next to sainsbury across the road. Another guy walking up fargate clearly out of it and having an argument with himself

It’s just horrible. Why on earth would anyone want to go to town to see this when you are just going shopping!!

How is the council going to enforce that?

---------- Post added 27-08-2018 at 20:20 ----------

You haven’t answered the question - they have moved them to stop people sitting there - the other poster said this was insufficient - what else do you think he council should do about spice users?

Well ok perhaps the Council cannot do that but the police can. Your right the Council dont have much power to do these things but surely it will just take a few bobbies an hour or two to implement. Nottingham had a campaign a while ago to stop people giving to beggars. The usual mile in their shoes brigade said it was cruel.

Guest makapaka
Well ok perhaps the Council cannot do that but the police can. Your right the Council dont have much power to do these things but surely it will just take a few bobbies an hour or two to implement. Nottingham had a campaign a while ago to stop people giving to beggars. The usual mile in their shoes brigade said it was cruel.

Maybe the police can yes - so why did you not mention the police - but instead ended up instigating a debate on the perceived failures of the council?

That was wrong really wasn’t it?

Maybe the police can yes - so why did you not mention the police - but instead ended up instigating a debate on the perceived failures of the council?

That was wrong really wasn’t it?

Ok I do appologise that I criticised the Council. However some of the actions the Council can get involved in Here was the stick Nottingham got from the mile in their shoes brigade

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/28/anti-begging-posters-banned-nottingham-city-council

What I cant understand is how these people are allowed to behave like this? for example getting your bits out and having a wee in front of everyone??

if a 'normal' guy did this in the middle of fargate there would be uproar and no doubt police would arrest him.

same as the fighting, if it was a normal group of guys fighting at 3.00pm in the afternoon something would be done

it seems as these people have drink & drug issues it makes it ok for them to behave like this and we just have to put up with it.

It not like you can step in and have a go at them. as they are aggressive and not in their right minds. So you just have to ignore it!!

Guest makapaka
Ok I do appologise that I criticised the Council. However some of the actions the Council can get involved in Here was the stick Nottingham got from the mile in their shoes brigade

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/sep/28/anti-begging-posters-banned-nottingham-city-council

Make that suggestion to your local councillor and see what the response is.

What I cant understand is how these people are allowed to behave like this? for example getting your bits out and having a wee in front of everyone??

if a 'normal' guy did this in the middle of fargate there would be uproar and no doubt police would arrest him.

same as the fighting, if it was a normal group of guys fighting at 3.00pm in the afternoon something would be done

it seems as these people have drink & drug issues it makes it ok for them to behave like this and we just have to put up with it.

It not like you can step in and have a go at them. as they are aggressive and not in their right minds. So you just have to ignore it!!

I agree with everything you have said. I think it all boils down to the group of people I colloquially refer to "the mile in your shoes brigade". They will often mention how these people have had issues in the past and if you walked a mile in their shoes you would understand. They quote bad childhood, drug and alcohol problems and that we should feel sorry for them and offer all the support under the sun. Often the people that spout this have never set foot in the city centre and seen the carnage we see on a weekly basis.

The bottom line is there is about 20 people in the city right now who are high on spice, fighting drinking taking drugs and generally being a nuisance. You see them in 4 locations Cathedral (Archer Project), Near that cheap shop near wilkos, Devonshire Green and they spill on to near Tescos on West Street, and lastly outside is it the old Lloyds building next to the cathedral on the steps where they are all collapsed outside.