Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

there does seem more recently in the city centre

This could be why!

Armed SAS troops take to streets disguised as tramps and street sweepers to stop another terror attack

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4601958/Armed-SAS-troops-disguised-tramps.html

If this is actually true then our government has deployed troops against it's own population without even a whimper. This is insanely dangerous.

i think sometimes people just like to demonise beggars as it makes it easier to not confront the fact that in 2016 there are people effectively living in shop doorways.
This.

What a horrible society we've become that we have allowed this to happen and then try to justify it by suggesting these people make a great living out of it.

This.

What a horrible society we've become that we have allowed this to happen and then try to justify it by suggesting these people make a great living out of it.

There are genuine cases of homeless people begging for money but unfortunately there is also an element of the unscrupulous who ARE using it to make a living.

There are genuine cases of homeless people begging for money but unfortunately there is also an element of the unscrupulous who ARE using it to make a living.
Doesn't change my thoughts. What a society where it's even an attractive option to pretend to be a beggar. What does it say about peoples' self-esteem? About what our society has become? Our forefathers would spin in their graves.

... What does it say about ... what our society has become? Our forefathers would spin in their graves.

twas ever thus.

twas ever thus.

No, I don't think it was actually. Post war I was proud to live in a welfare state where people like this, down on their luck, were taken care of and helped. I don't remember seeing any people sleeping in shop doorways in the 60s and 70s.

This rise in homelessness and vagrancy is down to deliberate government policies by an uncaring Tory government, and it's a disgrace in a country that likes to call itself 'civilised.'

No, I don't think it was actually. Post war I was proud to live in a welfare state where people like this, down on their luck, were taken care of and helped. I don't remember seeing any people sleeping in shop doorways in the 60s and 70s.

This rise in homelessness and vagrancy is down to deliberate government policies by an uncaring Tory government, and it's a disgrace in a country that likes to call itself 'civilised.'

I can definitely remember people sleeping rough in the 70's but agree it shouldn't be happening/increasing in this day and age.

Most people lived in family groups and although often far from perfect there was mutual support. Families often pooled resources rather than live in single person households. These have grown disproportionately since the 70s. Single people are the most likely to be homeless and to qualify for the least support.

Most people lived in family groups and although often far from perfect there was mutual support. Families often pooled resources rather than live in single person households. These have grown disproportionately since the 70s. Single people are the most likely to be homeless and to qualify for the least support.

That's true.

Yes, we need a return to the utopia under Labour don't we, when everyone was employed and nobody was homeless......

Homeless households double under Labour

The number of homeless households forced to live in temporary accommodation has more than doubled since Labour came to power, figures showed yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1478930/Homeless-households-double-under-Labour.html

You really need to open your eyes Anna and stop blaming the Tories for everything.