Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

You also (again) are making a massive link between homelessness and rough sleeping and the begging we are seeing. They are different issues. The preconception is that if someone is begging they must be homeless/rough sleeping. This simply isn't the case in Sheffield. It's drug addicts funding addictions primarily. To claim otherwise is simply wrong.

Begging and rough sleeping is a lifestyle choice for many. Heroin addiction is a medical problem. Donating funds isn't going to help the problems but might mean that heroin addicts have to do fewer robberies to get their next hit.

I presume you have spent many years working in this sector? I have - I'm no expert, but am fully aware of the ins and outs and the reality of the situation. My knowledge goes a little beyond "what I've seen" and "I read online." Obviously confidentiality forbids me from going into too many details about some of the issues.

It greatly angers me when people just dismiss things as "nonsense" - especially if they have never worked in the sector, and have no knowledge of exactly what is occurring, both in the world of begging and the behind the scenes work of charities and groups trying their hardest to make a difference in increasingly difficult circumstances.

Walking past a few beggars and believing you know what is going on is "nonsense".

Your suggestion that these people be removed from the city centre and dumped somewhere else is obviously ludicrous.

---------- Post added 09-08-2018 at 13:09 ----------

There is plenty of evidence, in the form of statistics. People just choose to ignore it. It's not about a desire to not be asked for money, it's about creating a safe environment in the city centre for everyone, and attempting to sort out a growing problem that has been allowed to fester. The efforts of all those trying to sort the problem is being undermined by those giving beggars money and is creating more drug addicts by the day.

You also (again) are making a massive link between homelessness and rough sleeping and the begging we are seeing. They are different issues. The preconception is that if someone is begging they must be homeless/rough sleeping. This simply isn't the case in Sheffield. It's drug addicts funding addictions primarily. To claim otherwise is simply wrong.

So let's see the statistics that evidence your claim in #1186 that "most people that make up these 'homeless' figures are not begging - they're in work, and living comfortable lives."

So let's see the statistics that evidence your claim in #1186 that "most people that make up these 'homeless' figures are not begging - they're in work, and living comfortable lives."

Well that statstic obviously doesn't exist.

Given that the latest available figures are tbat 1,297 householfs made homeless applications I think it's safe to say the majority of them are not begging.

It's also worth noting that since 2012, the honessless figures have FALLEN significantly in Sheffield- by a massive sixty per cent. There have been recent rises again, annually of around 4 per cent- but still nowhere near what they have been in the past.

We have less homeless than we did in the past- a fact that needa to be remembered.

The problem lies in the cuts in drug support and in mental health support.

Sadly these issues are clouded over by the fallacy that homelessness is at aome sort of high- it really isn't. There are more beggars and less honelessness bevause of drugs and people giving money.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/homelessness-in-sheffield-is-down-by-60-per-cent-in-last-five-years-say-council-1-8900981

Well that statstic obviously doesn't exist.

Given that the latest available figures are tbat 1,297 householfs made homeless applications I think it's safe to say the majority of them are not begging.

So they're in work then and living comfortable lives?

Not "crammed into a dingy hostel room"

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/revealed-the-scale-of-homelessness-in-each-area-of-yorkshire-1-8845828

Or on the streets because they can't evidence being statutory homeless.

https://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/opinion/plight-of-the-homeless-in-sheffield-is-shameful-1-8476874

If faces are not shown, any newspaper can print pictures. Permission does not have to be asked. .

CAN. ALLOWED. PERMITTED etc etc None of those words make it alright to photograph anyone without permission or use to those photographs in the public domain without obtaining consent. I'm talking about what's right ...not what the faceless writers of laws condone.

I'd say lack of compassion is continuing to give out money that contributes to this problem and lines drug dealers pockets..

A lot of assumptions appear to have been made here. Who says all the loony spice users are both homeless and jobless. Where is the evidence for this?

People have compassion, but they are also fed up of this escalating drug problem - fueled by those who tell others they have no 'compassion'. .

I notice our police support officers and also real police officers seem to have a lot of compassion they seem perfectly willing in some cases to walk past people using illegal drugs in public places and in front of minors and appear to do so without any obvious care or indeed any concerns about who or where the junkies buy their substances from

These people won't seek help, support or even acknowledge a problem if they have ready access to money that keeps the drugs flowing. it's a conversation I encountered a lot; "I'm not doing any harm, people give me money, it's up to me how I spend it". That's the argument. .

i am pleasantly surprised to read that you claim to speak to either the homeless or the junkies

i dont bother with the junkies isee the seemingly zombie like near corpses of spice users and i offer them nothing i have no time for anyone adversely affected by their chosen addictions. as far as possible i reserve my resources that i give to others to those that have genuine need

the thread is about beggars and homelessness. i happily give them food clothes and hot drinks. antibac hand cleaner and tissues. i don't give them cash...so i do know what my money was spent on.

Compassion WILL be lost though as the problem continues to drive the centre down. Find any article about the issue online and there are numerous comments from people saying "I don't bother going into the centre anymore because of this" - that's unacceptable for those who have businesses relying on footfall. .

there are very few small businesses in sheffield centre nowadays take out all the greggs, phone shops, charity shops, over priced coffee shops and second hand dealers what is left ..mostly chains .. which are well represented out of town. sheffield center died years ago it just hasn't realised it yet.... blame the council ...not the elected councillors for overseeing that... the presence or not of the homeless makes little if any difference, other than it being a safer place for them to be than sleeping in some local park.

basically the centre now is just a sprawling bus/tram interchange and not really much else

It's not about "rounding them up" and keeping them out of sight -

again i'm surprised that you would even suggest keeping them i was thinking you might have less friendly intentions towards them.

it's about sorting the problem out. Arrest the dealers,

look around... its not looking like thats ever going to happen .. one could be forgiven for thinking that allowing societies losers to become substance abusers and addicts was state policy for some reason.... potentially a whole other thread.

make giving to beggars illegal, and prosecute those who continually refuse help and refuse support.

some big brother legislation wont stop me or a lot of others giving to beggars and i can see how you have thought this out....

yes why not

what a good idea

lets prosecute and FINE those that have nothing.. that will teach them,...

sometimes .... some people are so lacking in imagination .... i just can't get my breath

The centre of course is filled with businesses, I'll be heading to a large office with 2000 other people working there in the next five minutes, and that's just 1 single business.

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 07:39 ----------

Sadly these issues are clouded over by the fallacy that homelessness is at aome sort of high- it really isn't. There are more beggars and less honelessness bevause of drugs and people giving money.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/homelessness-in-sheffield-is-down-by-60-per-cent-in-last-five-years-say-council-1-8900981

I appreciate that you're talking about Sheffield, but you really need to say so.

The overall level of recorded homelessness in Sheffield has reduced by nearly 60 per cent against a backdrop of big increases nationally since then.

Homelessness IS at some sort of high. Just not perhaps in Sheffield. It's most definitely not a fallacy on a national scale as the article you linked makes clear.

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 07:41 ----------

There is plenty of evidence, in the form of statistics. People just choose to ignore it.

Evidence in this thread is thin on the ground. Which is what I said.

It's not about a desire to not be asked for money, it's about creating a safe environment in the city centre for everyone, and attempting to sort out a growing problem that has been allowed to fester. The efforts of all those trying to sort the problem is being undermined by those giving beggars money and is creating more drug addicts by the day.

Sorry, but 'safe' appears to mean 'without the unpleasantness of seeing someone so poor they have to beg'.

---------- Post added 10-08-2018 at 07:42 ----------

and whether I can walk around it without being surrounded by scrubbers.

QED...more characters

CAN. ALLOWED. PERMITTED etc etc None of those words make it alright to photograph anyone without permission or use to those photographs in the public domain without obtaining consent. I'm talking about what's right ...not what the faceless writers of laws condone.

A lot of assumptions appear to have been made here. Who says all the loony spice users are both homeless and jobless. Where is the evidence for this?

I notice our police support officers and also real police officers seem to have a lot of compassion they seem perfectly willing in some cases to walk past people using illegal drugs in public places and in front of minors and appear to do so without any obvious care or indeed any concerns about who or where the junkies buy their substances from

i am pleasantly surprised to read that you claim to speak to either the homeless or the junkies

i dont bother with the junkies isee the seemingly zombie like near corpses of spice users and i offer them nothing i have no time for anyone adversely affected by their chosen addictions. as far as possible i reserve my resources that i give to others to those that have genuine need

the thread is about beggars and homelessness. i happily give them food clothes and hot drinks. antibac hand cleaner and tissues. i don't give them cash...so i do know what my money was spent on.

there are very few small businesses in sheffield centre nowadays take out all the greggs, phone shops, charity shops, over priced coffee shops and second hand dealers what is left ..mostly chains .. which are well represented out of town. sheffield center died years ago it just hasn't realised it yet.... blame the council ...not the elected councillors for overseeing that... the presence or not of the homeless makes little if any difference, other than it being a safer place for them to be than sleeping in some local park.

basically the centre now is just a sprawling bus/tram interchange and not really much else

again i'm surprised that you would even suggest keeping them i was thinking you might have less friendly intentions towards them.

look around... its not looking like thats ever going to happen .. one could be forgiven for thinking that allowing societies losers to become substance abusers and addicts was state policy for some reason.... potentially a whole other thread.

some big brother legislation wont stop me or a lot of others giving to beggars and i can see how you have thought this out....

yes why not

what a good idea

lets prosecute and FINE those that have nothing.. that will teach them,...

sometimes .... some people are so lacking in imagination .... i just can't get my breath

What a strange post. You seem invredibly aggressuve towards these people...and disappointed thatvpeople don't think rounding them up and dumping them somewhere else is a good idea. Yet you also seem to think it's best they're in the centre as it's just a bus station...I don't really understand your logic at all.

Obviously the suggestion that creating these 'junkies' as you refer to them may be 'state policy' is complete conspiracy nut nonsense.

I'm glad you try to help those that are rough sleeping- I'd be unterested to know how you ensure you are only giving to the genuine rough sleepers though....

Your anger at the photo issue is misplaced too- it's simply the way things are. And why you can see many photos at all....including those of criminals. The Star have done nothing wrong.

Edited by paula4sheff

With regards to this photo, they're openly off their nuts in a very public place... Which everyone who walks past will see. I don't think they're going to get all offended about someone Taking a picture of it as it's not exactly private to start with!

I dont see what the problem is with these photos (there is more on the Sheffield Star Website). We need this to highlight the problem as it seems the powers that be have ignored it for far too long.

Also they do it in the city centre blatantly. So if we didnt have the pictures whenever we go to the City Centre we can see it happening live.

What a strange post. You seem invredibly aggressuve towards these people...and disappointed thatvpeople don't think rounding them up and dumping them somewhere else is a good idea. Yet you also seem to think it's best they're in the centre as it's just a bus station...I don't really understand your logic at all.

perhaps it was too difficult to follow. sorry

i am not the one with any aggressive feelings I was referring to yourself. and as a centre for shopping sheffield is dying it is a more a transport hub and a place for businesses that dont require footfall

Obviously the suggestion that creating these 'junkies' as you refer to them may be 'state policy' is complete conspiracy nut nonsense.

i find many conspiracy theories entertaining some have merit and some not. some are just a distraction. but i have not heard this one of yours where is that one to be found please.

I'm glad you try to help those that are rough sleeping- I'd be unterested to know how you ensure you are only giving to the genuine rough sleepers though.....

you are! .. you definitely give the impression you'd rather them be in camps.

i have a number of questions I work into conversation (omg fill talks to them) that help me form my own opinion and i react accordingly whilst at teh same time I am letting them know possible places where that can get more assistance of both the short and long term varieties should they be interested

no i wont reveal the questions i ask form your own discussing them openly will help the fakers prepare 'correct' responses

also some of the genuine responses may reveal things that its better not everyone knows.

the addicts with some errors obviously are quite easy to spot and i have no longer have time for them as their plight is self inflicted and any effort on my part wasted unless they are non-using addicts or on a program.

Your anger at the photo issue is misplaced too- it's simply the way things are. And why you can see many photos at all....including those of criminals. The Star have done nothing wrong.

we shall have to agree to disagree on that I believe the star is morally wrong on this and heir taking and using many other photos with people in them.. faces showing or not