Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

they get plenty of money from donations in the city centre?

a) i thought we were talking about not giving them money?

b) you said "nearly all house burglaries are due to drug addicts" - i don't understand why spice would be different?

Most people that make up these 'homeless' figures are not begging - they're in work, and living comfortable lives. Rough sleepers aren't.

Nonsense.

The bulk will be in temporary accommodation - hostels, supported housing etc and certainly aren't in work and living comfortable lives - many life chaotic lifestyles and are subject to benefit sanctions which leave them with no money in their pocket.

a) i thought we were talking about not giving them money?

b) you said "nearly all house burglaries are due to drug addicts" - i don't understand why spice would be different?

If all the spice addicts get money in the city centre, then the drug addicts doing the house burglaries must be from a different community of addicts.

Whether if people stop giving them money, they join the burglary community, I don't know.

Once again Paula4 sheff becomes an expert on everything

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 17:10 ----------

Nobody forces these scumbags on spice to acually take the drug ,it is by volantary means they take it ,stop being goody goody to them ,let's take them out of the city prefebly to Bernard road

As stated many times before, they are continuing to give money to individuals. They'd do more good by supporting organisations that help the homeless.

Oh, okay, I thought it was several years of austerity, benefit sanctions and foodbanks

As ever, awareness is key.

I'd like to think that if people saw where their money was going, and into whose hands, and the damage it did, they would stop giving to beggars.

There are places and ways to give and help out; maybe (and being a bit harsh) giving in those ways don't provide the instant 'feel good' reaction people get from putting money into the hands of a beggar? I've often thought the giving to a beggar is as much about how it makes the person giving feel, as it is the beggar.

I've often thought exactly the same.

Oh, okay, I thought it was several years of austerity, benefit sanctions and foodbanks

Some of the regular spice users have not just been begging for a number of months they have been begging for years even under a labour government.

Some of the regular spice users have not just been begging for a number of months they have been begging for years even under a labour government.

Really?

I'm sure you'll evidence this with lots of links going back to 2010 and before.

Evidence is thin on the ground in this thread, it's mostly about preconceptions and a desire not to be asked for money (or even know about the existence of) people who've had bad luck and made poor choices and ended up homeless and/or rough sleeping.

Evidence is thin on the ground in this thread, it's mostly about preconceptions and a desire not to be asked for money (or even know about the existence of) people who've had bad luck and made poor choices and ended up homeless and/or rough sleeping.

I'm not bothered about being asked for money, or even that concerned about poor choices. I'm only really bothered about our city centre, where I work, and whether I can walk around it without being surrounded by scrubbers.

I've said it before: people like you have made it this way. You are the problem, and have filled the town up with tramps. If you like them so much why not invite them round your house for a spice party?

Yesterday in Barker's pool there was a Megabus parked up with family activities set up... On the benches outside John Lewis, 3 blokes bladdered. Just up division street there were 4 sat down begging, and down towards Barclays bank (near Holland and Barrett) 2 people begging. It really, really wouldn't be somewhere I'd want to take my kids. Regardless of their drug habits, alcoholism or just general need for help - it is getting out of hand now. I can't be arsed to start digging up quotes from previous posts, but someone said they'd much rather go to meadowhall than town, I agree. On a previous link to a star article, the girl in that says she doesn't feel safe working late in town, I agree. I hate leaving work at gone midnight to be harassed for money, dodging spice heads and drunks. It was only a month ago I pulled up in my car, and had some one knock on my window asking for money.

Or when I went for lunch, he walked in and asked me for money as I'm sat at the table!

I'm fed up of seeing this dross knocking about our city centre as every association is waiting for the other to make the first move!

I have literally had to deal with a bloke who got stabbed because he told one to f off. I'll never forget that!

For all those who are do gooders and who sympathise saying it's not their fault, go stand with them at Tesco on West Street then! Can look into their drug and drink fueled eyes.

I've bit my lip previously on other posts, but the world is getting way too PC now. I no doubt will give the impression I don't have a heart or I don't care, well I did. I used to. I have donated to charities, I have given them food... What's happened? The problem is worse.

Sick of it.

Once again Paula4 sheff becomes an expert on everything

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 17:10 ----------

Nobody forces these scumbags on spice to acually take the drug ,it is by volantary means they take it ,stop being goody goody to them ,let's take them out of the city prefebly to Bernard road

I presume you have spent many years working in this sector? I have - I'm no expert, but am fully aware of the ins and outs and the reality of the situation. My knowledge goes a little beyond "what I've seen" and "I read online." Obviously confidentiality forbids me from going into too many details about some of the issues.

It greatly angers me when people just dismiss things as "nonsense" - especially if they have never worked in the sector, and have no knowledge of exactly what is occurring, both in the world of begging and the behind the scenes work of charities and groups trying their hardest to make a difference in increasingly difficult circumstances.

Walking past a few beggars and believing you know what is going on is "nonsense".

Your suggestion that these people be removed from the city centre and dumped somewhere else is obviously ludicrous.

---------- Post added 09-08-2018 at 13:09 ----------

There is plenty of evidence, in the form of statistics. People just choose to ignore it. It's not about a desire to not be asked for money, it's about creating a safe environment in the city centre for everyone, and attempting to sort out a growing problem that has been allowed to fester. The efforts of all those trying to sort the problem is being undermined by those giving beggars money and is creating more drug addicts by the day.

You also (again) are making a massive link between homelessness and rough sleeping and the begging we are seeing. They are different issues. The preconception is that if someone is begging they must be homeless/rough sleeping. This simply isn't the case in Sheffield. It's drug addicts funding addictions primarily. To claim otherwise is simply wrong.

Edited by paula4sheff