Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I've seen many of the homeless in the city centre asleep in shop doorways in the middle of the night. Maybe one or two have homes to go to, but the majority of them are homeless, live on the streets and deserve our compassion.

I've seen many of the homeless in the city centre asleep in shop doorways in the middle of the night. Maybe one or two have homes to go to, but the majority of them are homeless, live on the streets and deserve our compassion.

Yes, the homeless do sleep in the doorways you mention, and they are the genuine homeless. But we are talking about beggars here, and most of the beggars are not homeless.

The genuine homeless are found sleeping in doorways late at night, the con artist beggars are still awake at that time and are found begging in the usual places.

The two groups are quite different, with the latter despised by the former.

---------- Post added 17-04-2017 at 14:26 ----------

A tip I was given is 'socks' no one can begrudge that.

Next time you buy some buy extra, only people in real need accept socks.

Or hand them your old ones?

Yes, the homeless do sleep in the doorways you mention, and they are the genuine homeless. But we are talking about beggars here, and most of the beggars are not homeless.

The genuine homeless are found sleeping in doorways late at night, the con artist beggars are still awake at that time and are found begging in the usual places.

The two groups are quite different, with the latter despised by the former.

---------- Post added 17-04-2017 at 14:26 ----------

Or hand them your old ones?

Yup. Even if they are discarded someone else can still use them.

New or old makes no difference to cold feet.

They can have my Sunday socks (my holey ones).

I know of some beggars that can get over £100 on a Saturday night, before going home. Thats mortgage money to most.

£400 a month? And you'd pay a mortgage and live off that would you? Different world you live in.

£400 a month? And you'd pay a mortgage and live off that would you? Different world you live in.

No, I said it was mortgage money. Not mortgage and live off money. But still, that £400 on top of their benefits and the housing they have been provided with is a good extra income. Shame it will just get spent on drink and drugs meaning they have to beg again another night.

Edited by WarPig

No, I said it was mortgage money. Not mortgage and live off money. But still, that £400 on top of their benefits and the housing they have been provided with is a good extra income. Shame it will just get spent on drink and drugs meaning they have to beg again another night.

You need a proper job or legal income to get a mortgage.

Even if a beggar got £1000 in a night it first needs to be laundered to get invested in real estate.

Simply shows you know nothing about begging. I agree many will spent it on alcodrugs and not to buy their mom some flowers.

Life is an continuing process, you cannot beg or work one day, spent money and then never beg or work again.

Edited by dutch

Your missing the point completely. The beggar earning over £100 on a Saturday night has somewhere to live, so isn't homeless, but is earning mortgage payment amounts.

Is there only one day in a week? Or is begging not allowed except on Saturday?

Whole society exists out of beggars. Whenever I see adverts legally displayed I see nothing but companies begging for me to buy their products.

Fancy religious buildings begging for you to join their religion.

Political parties begging for you to vote for them.

The only person who is not a beggar is independent and free from attachments.

Think he may have been mentioned on here before, but don't know if he is a beggar. Black fella in his 30s about 5'7" ish. Walking on the moor about 6pm Monday teatime, shouting abuse at people, including young girls. I walked past him, deliberately not avoiding him and he was spitting at my feet. Was tempted to square up to him but suspect he maybe had mental issues rather than drunk.

Reported it to 101 who said they would send someone down.

Think he may have been mentioned on here before, but don't know if he is a beggar. Black fella in his 30s about 5'7" ish. Walking on the moor about 6pm Monday teatime, shouting abuse at people, including young girls. I walked past him, deliberately not avoiding him and he was spitting at my feet. Was tempted to square up to him but suspect he maybe had mental issues rather than drunk.

Reported it to 101 who said they would send someone down.

I think I know the guy you're talking about I saw him on Rockingham Street about that time. His behaviour was indicative of someone who has m.h. difficulties.