Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I choose not to give to people begging because I don't want to support someone's addiction but I do support a homeless charity so am not unsympathetic but I  do have an issue with some of the tactics employed by beggars and street drinkers. My nearest tram stop for my journey home from work is  Tesco, West Street but dues to aggressive begging at the tram stop, the shop doorway being obstructed by  and tram shelter occupied by abusive street drinkers I use the City Hall stop and Sainsbury for shopping and the cash dispenser to avoid feeling threatened . The final straw was seeing drug dealing taking place openly. I know quite a few people who are choosing similar diversions  which  must cost Tesco business but apparently they are powerless as the anti social activity takes place on public footpaths. The police do periodically move people on but as soon as they leave the problems return

Yet not only that this "Pillar of the community" gets let off for what I would  consider an heinous crime of stealing from charity boxes. In spite of a previous judge branding him dangerous.  There is no justice in dealing with scum like him

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/career-criminal-who-stole-charity-boxes-from-sheffield-store-walks-free-from-court-1-9631898?fbclid=IwAR1p7hwDJA1NMmPDLynZGbtC3rqwE25OBtyorEG8KvI43AjBEP45dNkOjoA

On 04/03/2019 at 14:50, fill said:

though if you have the time and inclination you might when / if talking to some of the homeless discover why they do not all want to be involved with the archer project. in which case again if you have the time you might want to seek out some of the homeless and give them your unwanted items directly.

What's the problem with the Archer Project fill? Is it to do with it being church-y, or is there something more to it?

On 06/03/2019 at 12:24, woodmally said:

Yet not only that this "Pillar of the community" gets let off for what I would  consider an heinous crime of stealing from charity boxes. In spite of a previous judge branding him dangerous.  There is no justice in dealing with scum like him

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/career-criminal-who-stole-charity-boxes-from-sheffield-store-walks-free-from-court-1-9631898?fbclid=IwAR1p7hwDJA1NMmPDLynZGbtC3rqwE25OBtyorEG8KvI43AjBEP45dNkOjoA

He actually got 15 weeks suspended for 12 months and a drug rehabilitation requirement, which is probably what he really needs.   As he pleaded guilty and all the rest of it, the sentence will have been moderated in line with guidelines.   He's not doing anything that's going to get him locked up for a very very long time under current rules, which means he gets out of prison in a year or two and straight back into crime.  Unless he can kick the drugs, this will likely go on.

On 04/03/2019 at 23:31, catmiss said:

I choose not to give to people begging because I don't want to support someone's addiction but I do support a homeless charity so am not unsympathetic but I  do have an issue with some of the tactics employed by beggars and street drinkers. My nearest tram stop for my journey home from work is  Tesco, West Street but dues to aggressive begging at the tram stop, the shop doorway being obstructed by  and tram shelter occupied by abusive street drinkers I use the City Hall stop and Sainsbury for shopping and the cash dispenser to avoid feeling threatened . The final straw was seeing drug dealing taking place openly. I know quite a few people who are choosing similar diversions  which  must cost Tesco business but apparently they are powerless as the anti social activity takes place on public footpaths. The police do periodically move people on but as soon as they leave the problems return

I would give that whole area and most of West St a miss if I were you - there is rampant drug dealing, street drinking, begging, threatening behaviour, asking money for drugs, etc going on - its not just Tescos that is suffering but surely most of the club and bar businesses in West St and the streets off it must be suffering as they have certainly lost 100% of my business as I stay away now ... a sad state of affairs .. I wonder if other cities have a similar issue with their main nighttime "going out" street (s) ....

1 hour ago, GinTreeS7 said:

I would give that whole area and most of West St a miss if I were you - there is rampant drug dealing, street drinking, begging, threatening behaviour, asking money for drugs, etc going on - its not just Tescos that is suffering but surely most of the club and bar businesses in West St and the streets off it must be suffering as they have certainly lost 100% of my business as I stay away now ... a sad state of affairs .. I wonder if other cities have a similar issue with their main nighttime "going out" street (s) ....

Its not just West Street though. You have the drunks and and druggies outside B&M near Fitzallan Square the rampant drug dealing outside the Bankers Draft and the old Lloyds Bank near the Cathedral. 

Well I watched a programme on Chanel 4 last night about the homeless in our citys, and the money they make is unbelievable, if its true, then they are actually encouraging people to go out begging, one guy made £600 for one nights work.

I recommend watching the current series “60 days on the streets “ to give both sides of the debate 

i know no one should be out on the street, some people clearly can't cope with life and end up on the street.

People treat pets like family, would you see your dog on the street?

is it ethical for people to have dogs while homeless? 

2 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Yes it is. 

how would the person get the animal treated if it was sick?

By finding the money somehow, or obtaining free treatment, same as anyone else.