Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Clean well dressed young men stopping people by standing in front of them doesn't sound like someone who can be "helped off the street" since they aren't "on the street" anyway.  

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why bother?    "No thank you" works for me just as well.

Because they don't respond, start a discussion/argument or swear being busy trying to figure out who/what the heck I am.   Polite refusal has in the past resulted in my being called some choice names I won't repeat here and/or pursued.   Not a pleasant experience. 

15 hours ago, melthebell said:

Sleeper buses starting in sheffield to help the homeless

https://www.shefnews.co.uk/2019/02/21/double-decker-bus-for-homeless-in-sheffield/

yay or nay?

Sadly again I dont think it will work. As it has been stated on here many times.  Many people do not engage with services.  Anthony Cunningham tried his tent city project and the council shut it down because it was turning into a drugs den. I know first hand as while it was up there was a queue of people just off my street waiting for their fix.  Anthony himself admitted that he set up a tent for them to get their injections.  Anthony is now trying to get sleeper containers set up to do the same. However I fear that again will fall in the same problem.  Yes there is lack of accommodation but also lack of engagement from the homeless and rootless.

What does "lack of engagement" mean?  Do you mean that they won't give up drink and drugs in exchange for somewhere to sleep?  Or something else?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

What does "lack of engagement" mean?  Do you mean that they won't give up drink and drugs in exchange for somewhere to sleep?  Or something else?

Here is an example of lack of engagement with services.  http://www.helpushelp.uk/blog/our-outreach-teams-out-on-the-streets-daily

No mention of why support is refused, whether it's difficult to access, comes with conditions or that they just distrust the authorities.

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

No mention of why support is refused, whether it's difficult to access, comes with conditions or that they just distrust the authorities.

Why should that matter?  If they distrust authorities well tough! They need to get over it and accept help otherwise stay on the streets. I have little time for the "evil authorities out to get them attitude". If the support comes with conditions then you accept those conditions. You dont bite the hand that feeds you.  I wish they would stop using excuses as to why they are still on the streets and take the help thats offered.

You sound like you're angry at these people for some reason.

You wish that they'd do as you want them to do.  Why not stop worrying about what you want and think about what they want for a change?

15 hours ago, Cyclone said:

The second and third point are most common, especially the second. 

For example alot of shelters have a no drink, no drugs policy.  Fair enough you'd think, but when you're dealing with hardcore addicts they simply can't (or won't) give it up so easily.

This issue in our was just in the news today acutally:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47374336

Some homeless people in Sheffield have told a council they are better off begging on the streets than being placed in accommodation.

The Housing First scheme works with single homeless people to provide housing and other support.

Sheffield City Council said funding would be pulled because of a lack of suitable single accommodation

and to put the cat among the pigeons

One man told of earning up to £300 a day from begging, and said many people immediately spent the money on drugs.

I don't think it's fair enough to link assistance with giving up self medication.

Some homeless people in Sheffield have told a council they are better off begging on the streets than being placed in accommodation.

Does this even make sense?  Having somewhere to sleep doesn't stop someone begging during the day.

Edited by Cyclone

On 05/01/2019 at 19:15, feargal said:

Brian, you could contact the Archer Project behind the cathedral, or St Wilfreds on Queens Road. 

though if you have the time and inclination you might when / if talking to some of the homeless discover why they do not all want to be involved with the archer project. in which case again if you have the time you might want to seek out some of the homeless and give them your unwanted items directly.