Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

10 hours ago, Longcol said:

Some will have been raped / robbed/ assaulted / abused etc  in night shelters and similar.

----------------

Edited by woodmally

I was stopped twice yesterday, once on the moor and later on fargate, both times by  tall young men who stood in front of me so I couldn't get round them, asking for money.  They were both clean and well dressed so I assume were not street sleepers.   As an elderly woman alone, this is intimidating and surely should be stopped.

What can we do about the drunks outside B&M Wilkos and KFC near the old Castle Market. There is one particular Afro Caribbean gentleman that's completely off his face. Clearly someone is paying for his booze and its probably us taxpayers.  He dance in the street and shouts at people.  The police seem to ignore the probem. He's not the only problem but he is the worst. 

Edited by woodmally

I never venture into that area for that precise reason - it's intimidating.

20 minutes ago, woodmally said:

What can we do about the drunks outside B&M Wilkos and KFC near the old Castle Market. There is one particular Afro Caribbean gentleman that's completely off his face. Clearly someone is paying for his booze and its probably us taxpayers.  He dance in the street and shouts at people.  The police seem to ignore the probem. He's not the only problem but he is the worst. 

Oh, the horror!

34 minutes ago, woodmally said:

If this is the same bloke I used to see most mornings at about 7am outside the BHF shop on Arundel Gate he appears to be doing military drill movements and barking out orders … though incoherent. If this IS the same lad, my guess is PTSD due to military service.:(

2 hours ago, mad-dad said:

If this is the same bloke I used to see most mornings at about 7am outside the BHF shop on Arundel Gate he appears to be doing military drill movements and barking out orders … though incoherent. If this IS the same lad, my guess is PTSD due to military service.:(

Wouldn't surprise me - there are estimated to be about 7,000 homeless ex-service personnel in the country - many with PTSD and other mental health issues.

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/former-services-personnel-face-homelessness-ticking-timebomb/

46 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Wouldn't surprise me - there are estimated to be about 7,000 homeless ex-service personnel in the country - many with PTSD and other mental health issues.

https://www.bigissue.com/latest/former-services-personnel-face-homelessness-ticking-timebomb/

Can relate to this. Many of our service personnel signed up at 15 years old. Yes, 15.... as so called Junior soldiers. A binding contract was signed by these kids with their parents' backing. No get out clause unless you could afford 3 months of your wages "to buy me out".  The contract started from age 18. Due to your naivety,  you may have signed a 3/6/9/12 year contract … it was binding.  No mercy from the Government … you signed up son.  Best way out was to breach military law ….. 6 months in Colchester would be the death of most blokes .. but a dishonourable discharge would ensue. Then … you're out. No home, no hope, probably no friends … when you were 15 you decided to follow your heart … but no bugger cares. Just saying like.

On 12/02/2019 at 07:30, magz said:

I was stopped twice yesterday, once on the moor and later on fargate, both times by  tall young men who stood in front of me so I couldn't get round them, asking for money.  They were both clean and well dressed so I assume were not street sleepers.   As an elderly woman alone, this is intimidating and surely should be stopped.

Say " Basta, basta, non capiche" (Italian for " enough,  enough,  I don't understand ") and walk off.   Works for me. 

17 minutes ago, kaytie said:

Say " Basta, basta, non capiche" (Italian for " enough,  enough,  I don't understand ") and walk off.   Works for me. 

Why bother?    "No thank you" works for me just as well.

28 minutes ago, kaytie said:

I can't be doing with all that pretentious stuff, I generally have a chat and give them a quid.

On 12/02/2019 at 07:30, magz said:

Yes.  And this demonstrates another reason why vulnerable people (be they beggars, homeless etc ) should  get help to get OFF the streets and not kept on them with well meant donations of cash, which (or may not) help someone in the short term but is highly unlikely to help anyone in the long term. Who would be happy about their gran feeling intimidated by beggars asking her for money every she goes shopping in town?