Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I lived in the centre for years. I knew many of these 'homeless'. I know they used to get dropped off and picked up by an old green land rover(s) round the back of select and save on arundel gate most mornings (my experience here only ranges from 2013-2016). I know their sob stories. I know from a friend who is a police officer that they are fake. That they all have addresses. That most are lifelong criminals with various offences to their names.

The large man, who likes to tell stories about his time in the army and his brother Liam that died in afghanistan. He never had a brother. He never served in the army. He hasn't lost a pound of fat or muscle in the years he's been 'living on the street'.

The man with no legs in the motorized wheelchair. He went to prison for murder years back, before he lost the legs. I was told by a paramedic that picked him up one day that he lost his legs in a gang feud over drugs. I have a rather funny video of him drunkenly driving his chair through traffic.

The scrawny black man with the beard that likes to beg from the steps outside select and save. I've watched him wandering up and down the street, high, shouting at people and threatening them. I floored him in 2015 after he attacked and groped two young students returning form a night out while I was in the Chicken Stop takeaway. It wasn't his first offense for attacking young girls. He was given a short sentence, and has since been released and has returned to begging.

The man in the desertDPM coat that likes to beg outside West Street Live and Dempseys. Claims to be a veteran. He isn't. He has an address on the Manor.

I could go on. If you choose to sit at home and refuse to believe the stories of what has happened to people, that's fine. You're only kidding yourselves. These people are out there. You can, and I have, say no to them a hundred times without incident. But I've also been there for the times people said no and suffered for it.

It's admirable in a sense that you want to believe the world is nicer than it is, that their stories are real, that they are nice people. The fact that you can be conned by something as simple as putting on dirty clothes is sweet in a way. That kind of naivety can be quite dangerous however, if you're unlucky enough to say no on the wrong day.

On 23/01/2019 at 10:36, Cyclone said:

It clearly is helping them.  They get to eat, drink, maybe have somewhere to stay for a night.  You must have a different definition to help than I do.

You don't know what the money is spent on, nor should that be your concern really.  But if you want to make moral judgements then buy them food or clothing.

You can only help people so much - and you think the so much should be "not at all" on a direct level.  In the hope that it will "force" them to use other services.

Also, not engaging with authorities is very different to not accepting help from charities. 

Personal responsibility when used to justify why you don't help someone is the mantra of the privileged.  You lack empathy from what I can see.  You don't understand how circumstance and external events can affect people.  Talking about fault isn't relevant, why do you want to blame them, so it's easier to walk past without giving them anything?

You cannot be bothered, or more accurately, you make a decision to not help them.  How you justify that to yourself is both irrelevant and fascinating.

Ok, so if we accept that handing a few quid to a beggar (or may be homeless or may not) is helping, be that getting through the night with drink or drugs or buying some food or warm clothing, and we accept that it’s not wrong for any homeless person to  refuse any offer of help from a charity for accommodation if this comes with strings attached (because after all a working person couldn’t be expected to rent a flat with a ‘no drinking’ rule), I ask this question: is there any hope of ridding this first world country of all begging and homelessness? Or a least getting it back to how it was say 30 years ago? Is it ok to simply accept that some people simply can’t look after themselves and it’s therefore acceptable for those more fortunate to hand out a few coins if they see fit? Is this something that should continue in the future and most probably get worse?  Would it not be better if all those ‘bits of spare change’ where instead put towards really helping people get off the streets?  

Edited by redruby

3 hours ago, FaceTheTruth said:

I lived in the centre for years. I knew many of these 'homeless'. I know they used to get dropped off and picked up by an old green land rover(s) round the back of select and save on arundel gate most mornings (my experience here only ranges from 2013-2016). I know their sob stories. I know from a friend who is a police officer that they are fake. That they all have addresses. That most are lifelong criminals with various offences to their names.

The large man, who likes to tell stories about his time in the army and his brother Liam that died in afghanistan. He never had a brother. He never served in the army. He hasn't lost a pound of fat or muscle in the years he's been 'living on the street'.

The man with no legs in the motorized wheelchair. He went to prison for murder years back, before he lost the legs. I was told by a paramedic that picked him up one day that he lost his legs in a gang feud over drugs. I have a rather funny video of him drunkenly driving his chair through traffic.

The scrawny black man with the beard that likes to beg from the steps outside select and save. I've watched him wandering up and down the street, high, shouting at people and threatening them. I floored him in 2015 after he attacked and groped two young students returning form a night out while I was in the Chicken Stop takeaway. It wasn't his first offense for attacking young girls. He was given a short sentence, and has since been released and has returned to begging.

The man in the desertDPM coat that likes to beg outside West Street Live and Dempseys. Claims to be a veteran. He isn't. He has an address on the Manor.

I could go on. If you choose to sit at home and refuse to believe the stories of what has happened to people, that's fine. You're only kidding yourselves. These people are out there. You can, and I have, say no to them a hundred times without incident. But I've also been there for the times people said no and suffered for it.

It's admirable in a sense that you want to believe the world is nicer than it is, that their stories are real, that they are nice people. The fact that you can be conned by something as simple as putting on dirty clothes is sweet in a way. That kind of naivety can be quite dangerous however, if you're unlucky enough to say no on the wrong day.

The existence of these people does not mean that there aren't genuinely homeless people out there though, does it?

10 hours ago, redruby said:

Ok, so if we accept that handing a few quid to a beggar (or may be homeless or may not) is helping, be that getting through the night with drink or drugs or buying some food or warm clothing, and we accept that it’s not wrong for any homeless person to  refuse any offer of help from a charity for accommodation if this comes with strings attached (because after all a working person couldn’t be expected to rent a flat with a ‘no drinking’ rule), I ask this question: is there any hope of ridding this first world country of all begging and homelessness? Or a least getting it back to how it was say 30 years ago? Is it ok to simply accept that some people simply can’t look after themselves and it’s therefore acceptable for those more fortunate to hand out a few coins if they see fit? Is this something that should continue in the future and most probably get worse?  Would it not be better if all those ‘bits of spare change’ where instead put towards really helping people get off the streets?  

If you want to give money direct to charity (or the government) instead of to a homeless person then I have no opinion on that, it's an entirely personal decision.

The reason there's an increase in homelessness is directly down to central government though and they are capable of reducing the numbers again.

On 05/10/2016 at 19:01, makapaka said:

i think sometimes people just like to demonise beggars as it makes it easier to not confront the fact that in 2016 there are people effectively living in shop doorways.

That's so true they are someone son dad daughter etc and for whatever reason they are not able to battle there demons  don't judge till you walked a mile in there shoes 

2 hours ago, Chrisash said:

That's so true they are someone son dad daughter etc and for whatever reason they are not able to battle there demons  don't judge till you walked a mile in there shoes 

Exactly and giving them money wont help that battle will it.  Whilst they are getting money from us to feed these demons they are not addressing them. Also anyone who gives these people with demons money will be fueling their addiction and potentially killing them. Sometimes not giving money isnt people not caring its people not wanting to make matters worse.  And I will confirm here I dont mean refusing to give food drink clothes etc.  Thats fine but money where they could take drugs and kill themselves either from a bad batch or the elements is not something I want to do.

20 hours ago, Halibut said:

The existence of these people does not mean that there aren't genuinely homeless people out there though, does it?  I agree with this 100%The other person "Face the Truth"? was just giving examples of 3 people! Ok theres bound to be some not genuine but sure not all.  If im naive i dont care i prefer to try and help people rather than "turn the other cheek" and think "Im alright Jack!" I dont always give money to beggars and even if do cant see they can get much drugs for quid or less and before you say if everybody gave them a quid dont think they do.  Most people just give coppers cant see them getting ****** or stoned on that!! I take stuff food or whatever to the Archer Project and do the Christmas shoe boxes. Just showing a bit of kindness to people who down on their luck. Id want someone to help me if i was in that situation and i will continue to!

In my experience most of the homeless are friendly and polite to you.  Ive got talking to some sat on the street where i walk past every evening and chatted to them just like would anybody.  Talk to some big issue sellers as well in fact stood next to 1 Saturday i gave him 2 quid coz already bort a mag earlier in week and he said everybody just ignoring him and had only sold 1! Another man came up asking for money he said had been sleeping in doorways since before Christmas well his clothes were dirty and i suppose cynical amongst people could say he could have just put those clothes on but why would you?!! He said at least you havent ignored me most people look at him like he dirt.  In my eyes could happen to anyone fall on hard times loose your job relationship break up, mental health etc etc and i think if you can help somebody why not! Sad world if cant help fellow human being!!

8 hours ago, woodmally said:

Exactly and giving them money wont help that battle will it.  Whilst they are getting money from us to feed these demons they are not addressing them. Also anyone who gives these people with demons money will be fueling their addiction and potentially killing them. Sometimes not giving money isnt people not caring its people not wanting to make matters worse.  And I will confirm here I dont mean refusing to give food drink clothes etc.  Thats fine but money where they could take drugs and kill themselves either from a bad batch or the elements is not something I want to do.

So your 'compassion' is instead to let them freeze or starve to death, that'll definitely address whatever problems they have.  And you accuse other people of "killing them"...

On 23/01/2019 at 09:16, Cyclone said:

You wonder how many people who are put off west street on a friday night visit foreign places where begging is the only way of life?  Do such places even exist?  And if they do, are they holiday destinations?

In addition to the centre of Sheffield I also avoid foreign places since I was mugged abroad in a mediterranean country and had my wallet and all my euros stolen. 

I am happier these days to lead the life of a hermit. I (just about) feel safer in my own home.

22 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So your 'compassion' is instead to let them freeze or starve to death, that'll definitely address whatever problems they have.  And you accuse other people of "killing them"...

Terrible as that is, what about those that suffer as a result of drug related problems?  Most begging is pay for addictions (the beggar may or may not be homeless). Some argue it could be justified to hand out money to beggars as drugs provide an escape. Briefly. But is highly unlikely to end well without professional support.

Sunday evening I walked from High Street to the Light Cinema around 7.15.   There were people in about eight doorways.   At 10.15 I walked back.... and they were all gone!     ? 

1 hour ago, kaytie said:

Sunday evening I walked from High Street to the Light Cinema around 7.15.   There were people in about eight doorways.   At 10.15 I walked back.... and they were all gone!     ? 

Precisely this. The homeless had all gone home.