Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Not answering the question at all.  Does it make you uncomfortable or are you worried that they'll attack you.

The denial that people are homeless has been well explored earlier in the thread.

Firstly we are not worried they may attack us per say its just that they play the guilt trip on you and are telling complete and utter lies.  Sitting outside cashpoints as you are getting your money.  There are many that are not homeless in the city but choose to beg. 

As for the genuine homeless maybe read this blog by an outreach team and you will see what we are up against.  People who are homeless refusing help even though its offered.  You can only try to help so much.

http://www.helpushelp.uk/blog/our-outreach-teams-out-on-the-streets-daily

Edited by woodmally

Why is it an issue for anyone else? Walk past,ignore them or donate to them or report them to the authorities if you must. Their attempts to raise money are no worse than the donkey adverts or the Blue Cross adverts on tv.  Homelessness is a different issue to begging.

4 hours ago, willman said:

Why is it an issue for anyone else? Walk past,ignore them or donate to them or report them to the authorities if you must. Their attempts to raise money are no worse than the donkey adverts or the Blue Cross adverts on tv.  Homelessness is a different issue to begging.

People like to make themselves feel better by putting others down.  It's why this thread is so long as it is.

Edited by Mister M

7 hours ago, woodmally said:

Firstly we are not worried they may attack us per say its just that they play the guilt trip on you and are telling complete and utter lies.  Sitting outside cashpoints as you are getting your money.  There are many that are not homeless in the city but choose to beg. 

As for the genuine homeless maybe read this blog by an outreach team and you will see what we are up against.  People who are homeless refusing help even though its offered.  You can only try to help so much.

http://www.helpushelp.uk/blog/our-outreach-teams-out-on-the-streets-daily

You're answering for MartinC?

You've made it clear that you think they are all scamming you, despite all the evidence to the contrary.  I guess that helps you avoid the sore conscience when you decide not to help.

There are also well explained reasons as to why the homeless refuse help and won't engage with the authorities.  You're not interested though.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

People like to make themselves feel better by putting others down.  It's why this thread is so long as it is.

Who was he putting down?

17 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Not answering the question at all.  Does it make you uncomfortable or are you worried that they'll attack you.

The denial that people are homeless has been well explored earlier in the thread.

I really don't care but as long as there are clearly fraudulent scammers and chancers amongst them none will ever get a penny piece from me.  

On 20/01/2019 at 15:21, Martin C said:

Whilst clearly an exaggeration it's nonetheless quite off putting at times. I only venture there if there's a specific music gig in those areas that | wish to attend.

So don't give them anything.  But why is it off putting?

18 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So don't give them anything.  But why is it off putting?

I suspect it's the cognitive dissonance of being presented with a reality people like to keep out of their minds.

3 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I suspect it's the cognitive dissonance of being presented with a reality people like to keep out of their minds.

Yet i wonder how many of these people visit foreign climes where the begging is the only way of life and the poverty is an indicator of how "we" really are.

7 hours ago, Martin C said:

I really don't care but as long as there are clearly fraudulent scammers and chancers amongst them none will ever get a penny piece from me.  

They never get anything from me but thats personal choice and not a judgement on them.

You wonder how many people who are put off west street on a friday night visit foreign places where begging is the only way of life?  Do such places even exist?  And if they do, are they holiday destinations?

On 27/11/2018 at 13:15, Moonbird said:

I am becoming increasingly concerned that someone is living rough somewhere that I walk with my dogs, I first noticed a tent there a few weeks ago, there appeared to be a couple of young Men that came out of it, I couldn't see them that clearly but definitely not kids, I was shocked to see the tent there still today, it is so cold today I cant help but worry...any ideas what I could do to get help for these people?

Look on Twitter. There was a Tweet out last night from some organisation in Rotherham or Sheffield with a number to call if you are concerned about anyone sleeping rough or homeless. 

17 hours ago, Cyclone said:

You're answering for MartinC?

You've made it clear that you think they are all scamming you, despite all the evidence to the contrary.  I guess that helps you avoid the sore conscience when you decide not to help.

There are also well explained reasons as to why the homeless refuse help and won't engage with the authorities.  You're not interested though.

Who was he putting down?

Why should we help them then if they refuse to engage with the authorities.? You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.  People need to have personal responsibility for their own situation. 

All we are doing by giving them money is keeping them on the streets. If they are dependent on the cash then they are certainly not going to be forced to seek help.  

58 minutes ago, willman said:

Yet i wonder how many of these people visit foreign climes where the begging is the only way of life and the poverty is an indicator of how "we" really are.

They never get anything from me but thats personal choice and not a judgement on them.

Yes there are begging abroad but they are in countries where there is no support network. No charities that help them, such as the Bens Centre or Archer Project.  And they are offered no help.

Why should we help them...  Oh, perhaps, basic human decency?

Personal responsibility is the mantra of the privileged who believe that they're in that position because of innate capabilities and hard work.

Clearly giving people money (or food or clothing) doesn't somehow "keep them on the street" unless you mean instead of in the morgue.  Attempting to "force" them to seek help by allowing them to what, starve or come closer to freezing to death.  Is that really the approach you're advocating?