Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

And I suppose the bloke in a sleeping bag outside Tesco's on Derek Dooley Way at gone 10 last night was just working the late shift...

Just where did I say homeless, you just argue for the sake of it.

10 hours ago, woodmally said:

No but has he been offered accommodation?  Maybe read this blog and let me know your thoughts. http://www.helpushelp.uk/blog/our-outreach-teams-out-on-the-streets-daily 

I'll go back in time and read his mind shall I?  Obviously I can't answer that.

Perhaps he avoids engaging with the authorities or has issues that mean they throw him out of accomodation.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Just where did I say homeless, you just argue for the sake of it.

No, I made that point that all beggars aren't as you suggested.

Perhaps though you can tell by looking at them which are homeless and which aren't?

Guest makapaka
On 12/1/2018 at 6:55 PM, woodmally said:

Saw a dealer take money from the homeless guy outside the former a Yorkshire bank next to Fitzallan Square tram stop. So blatantly too. And people are shocked why we have no compassion when they spend the money they get on drugs and have the cheek to ask us for it. 

What do you think they’re spending it on - mortgage arrears?

9 minutes ago, makapaka said:

What do you think they’re spending it on - mortgage arrears?

Oh I agree I wasnt shocked myself I was just saying of the people that are shocked us not giving money to them. Reason we are not is we dont want to enable their habbit.

They're shocked that you have no compassion.  Which you said yourself.

people are shocked why we have no compassion

You've made a judgement about their drug and alcohol use, a moral judgement, made without very much understanding of the situation they are in.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

They're shocked that you have no compassion.  Which you said yourself.

You've made a judgement about their drug and alcohol use, a moral judgement, made without very much understanding of the situation they are in.

Its not a moral judgement at all its an evidence based judgement.  I have seen the beggars give money to the dealers in the city centre.  I have also seen these same beggars high on spice collapsed in our city. The only way they will get this money is from begging. So if we give money to them there is a risk they will spend it on drugs.  Would you buy an alcoholic a pint or give a gambler money for a flutter at the bookies?  I wouldnt its not helpful.  Help us Help our umbrella charity in the city also advises against giving them money.

A friend and I came to Sheffield last night to see Kevin Bridges. At 18:30 we saw one person laid on the road near Fitzalan Square, and outside HMV a bloke bent over looking like a zombie. I think both were on Spice.

I have never seen this in Leeds or anywhere else. Can anyone tell me Sheffield particular has a problem with Spice?

I saw 2 coppers talking to a homeless guy outside Sainsbury's on the High St this afternoon.

Thing is though, the cops have words, the homeless guys move on for a bit, then as soon as the cops are gone, the homeless guys are back in the same spot.

i wish people would refrain from calling these people homeless, most of these people are not homeless.

please dont ask me how i know

2 hours ago, sparko said:

A friend and I came to Sheffield last night to see Kevin Bridges. At 18:30 we saw one person laid on the road near Fitzalan Square, and outside HMV a bloke bent over looking like a zombie. I think both were on Spice.

I have never seen this in Leeds or anywhere else. Can anyone tell me Sheffield particular has a problem with Spice?

You've never seen spice users in Leeds? Good heavens! Leeds and Manchester (especially Manchester) both have a very visible problem with spice users. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:59 PM, ECCOnoob said:

What a load of old pony.   You can't possibly know anything like that.   "Most" of them??   Really??     All these ex qualified doctors, teachers and nurses just cluttering up the streets begging right???

Brought "down" by the tories my backside.     Just a lazy cop out. 

The way some people beat the same old drum on here its as if pre-2010 we never had people on the streets begging and homeless people.   Jesus tonight, whether we like to accept it or not - the fact is, its been a part of the fabric of global society since the dark ages. 

I think what is noticeable is that there certainly seems to be many more homeless or beggars in the last 5 or 6 years. 

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

You've never seen spice users in Leeds? Good heavens! Leeds and Manchester (especially Manchester) both have a very visible problem with spice users. 

I think what is noticeable is that there certainly seems to be many more homeless or beggars in the last 5 or 6 years. 

Undoubtedly.

I don't recall seeing any homeless people in the 70s except for Pond Street Nora', and an old tramp who had his brown coat tied with string round the middle. I'm not sure even if they were homeless, just that they were regularly seen about town, and were unusual for it. But that was it. This was in the days before the mental hospitals closed and we moved to the so called 'care in the community.'

There certainly weren't any 'Tent cities' or people sleeping in shop doorways. The situation these days is a relatively new phenomenon IMO which has grown up particularly since the Tories took power and began slashing budgets. What  did people expect to happen? It was bound to have an effect, especially on the poorest.

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Undoubtedly.

I don't recall seeing any homeless people in the 70s except for Pond Street Nora', and an old tramp who had his brown coat tied with string round the middle. I'm not sure even if they were homeless, just that they were regularly seen about town, and were unusual for it. But that was it. This was in the days before the mental hospitals closed and we moved to the so called 'care in the community.'

There certainly weren't any 'Tent cities' or people sleeping in shop doorways. The situation these days is a relatively new phenomenon IMO which has grown up particularly since the Tories took power and began slashing budgets. What  did people expect to happen? It was bound to have an effect, especially on the poorest.

We never had all these people sleeping rough because every one was busy working in the steel and cutlery trades as well as down the pit, we now have certain kids leaving school with little hope of getting a job or a place to live due to many different causes inc no social housing for single people , Was told a few years ago that the council had ninety thousand folk waiting to get a property and that their chances were nil .