Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Secret courts in the family division have a lot to answer for as well. 

Everyone deserves to have a good upbringing in a happy, decent family to get a good start in  life, but of course that doesn't happen for everyone.

And these days with all the myriad problems, maybe happy families are becoming rarer.

If you have a happy family, or come from one, count yourself fortunate  and very blessed. It's a strong foundation that will see you through the slings and arrows of everyday life.

But always remember some others are not so lucky...

What do you mean by:

“secret court within a family”

15 minutes ago, Box11 said:

What do you mean by:

“secret court within a family”

Family courts are held in private.

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I don't see the problem? Family courts are often dealing with extremely sensitive issues involving extremely vulnerable people. It shouldn't be open to the world to be coming in, intruding and likely disrupting what are already very contentious and often highly emotional proceedings.

Family court is totally different to criminal or civil hearing. There is no public involvement or jury. It is down to a qualified and experienced judge to make a decision what is best for the parties' welfare free from any sort of influence, emotive or reactionary events surrounding. 

There are no 'secrets' to the parties actually involved.  Closed hearings are not some great conspiracy.  As far as anyone else not directly connected is concerned it should be  none of their business.

Sometimes hearings remain private for good reason.

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't see the problem? Family courts are often dealing with extremely sensitive issues involving extremely vulnerable people. It shouldn't be open to the world to be coming in, intruding and likely disrupting what are already very contentious and often highly emotional proceedings.

Family court is totally different to criminal or civil hearing. There is no public involvement or jury. It is down to a qualified and experienced judge to make a decision what is best for the parties' welfare free from any sort of influence, emotive or reactionary events surrounding. 

There are no 'secrets' to the parties actually involved.  Closed hearings are not some great conspiracy.  As far as anyone else not directly connected is concerned it should be  none of their business.

Sometimes hearings remain private for good reason.

And sometimes they aren't for good reason. They're a good cover up for mistakes made by social services etc. And sometimes even parents aren't allowed to be involved. Nobody is asking for it to be splashed across the papers/media, and that is fairly simple to stop anyway.

But transparency is an important aspect of justice. 

How does a hearing in a court of law in front of a judge with legal representation for both parties "cover up" mistakes from social services???

Both parties to the matter are present (either directly and/or through their nominated legal representative). Just because a judicial decision doesn't go someone's way is not automatically a cover up.

I think you seem to be getting confused between a court of law and some sort of internal or government body enquiry.  Despite what some people try to portray or the conspiracy theorists keep banging on, there is still separation between judiciary and government.   Its for that  reason why, for example,  the might of the Home Office gets a dressing down when one of their key policies approved by Parliament suddenly gets cancelled by the judgement of say the Supreme Court.

Yes I admit there are occasions in the family court where the parents are excluded but again, that is because the decision is being made on a very very complex issue regarding the welfare of a child. It needs to be done by a qualified professional without influence and emotive reactions from the parents. That is why these parties have legal representatives who can deal with such difficult circumstances without any such emotional interest.

Transparency is all well and good but who exactly should have a right to know and more importantly why do they think they need to know. Reasonable knowledge of what is going on within such hearings in a can of worms. Does it extend to the grandparents,  step parents, the cousins, the neighbours, the school teachers, the baby sitters, the seed donor...  Where is actually does the end.

"Interested parties"  has already been well established in court policy.

• Like 1

It would be better if children taken from parents and placed in care weren't being sent from one unsatisfactory situation, often into another. 

I don't like the 'gagging' orders that emminate from the family courts either.

However we seem to have strayed away from original thread about beggars, homeless etc.

Edited by Anna B

12 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Thanks for that.....

Here's a first, certainly for my wife & me.  On Fargate Saturday morning, passed by a bloke who I recognised as one of the regular, older 'homeless / street drinkers / beggars as we were about to go into HSBC. 

I say passed, more in danger of being knocked down as he zipped past on an e-scooter.  Well, I suppose it must take it out of you dragging a tatty blanket around town between pitches. 

Maybe the police can finally nail him for riding a prohibited vehicle on a pavement? 

• Like 2

Most of the beggars you see on the moor, London road and Ecclesall road and outside Aldi actually live in the flats on Lansdowne estate. More often than not it's the lansdowne flats where the drug dealers live too.  The police know this too as its the same addresses that keep getting raided. Has anyone noticed a lot of the beggars putting their money together to buy a bigger score and sharing it?

• Like 1

I saw one of these dossers on Friday on Devonshire Green. Thankfully his scheme brought no fruition and everyone told him where to go.

• Thanks 1

On 11/08/2023 at 16:30, Ashcroft said:

Most of the beggars you see on the moor, London road and Ecclesall road and outside Aldi actually live in the flats on Lansdowne estate. More often than not it's the lansdowne flats where the drug dealers live too.  The police know this too as its the same addresses that keep getting raided. Has anyone noticed a lot of the beggars putting their money together to buy a bigger score and sharing it?

Dearly wish people would stop giving to the career beggars round there, they'd soon move on once it stopped paying out. Not surprised Aldi is being stricter on dissuading shoplifters.

• Like 1

Need to get Soylent in to sort the issue...