Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

6 hours ago, max said:

Why, he seems to be managing quite well without a propper (sic) job?

I agree max, I for one admire his entrepreneurial zeal and ingenuity.

13 hours ago, Ms Macbeth said:

That's what I assumed.   He's very well prepared. He's moved to the side of the BHF shop now.  I was also told he's not homeless.  As catmiss says, he'd be classed as vulnerable if he is genuinely homeless, because of his age.  Just round the corner is the advice centre in Proctor Place.  I'm sure they could give him advice about claiming benefits he's entitled to, so he wouldn't have to sit out in the cold all day.  

He might already live in temporary accommodation - somebody has recently mentioned a road where I know some exists - and perhaps had his benefits sanctioned on a few occassions.

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, arrodbo said:

How long can a big issue seller operate for? I always thought the idea was to sell it to give them a start in life.

I know of one who has operated on the same pitch for at least 8 years and now he advertises at his pitch that you can pay

by debit or credit card   (he has a card machine). His profit is £1.25 per copy so he makes a good few quid plu benefits no doubt.

What would you rather him do? He’s not hurting anyone is he - stood in the cold trying to sell a magazine most people will refuse.

would you rather he stops selling the big issue and begs? 

Jesus wept.

Edited by makapaka

23 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I agree max, I for one admire his entrepreneurial zeal and ingenuity.

I don’t admire someone passing them self off as homeless and taking advantage of the generosity of well meaning, charitable people. And apparently using the money to buy drugs. 

2 hours ago, redruby said:

I don’t admire someone passing them self off as homeless and taking advantage of the generosity of well meaning, charitable people. And apparently using the money to buy drugs. 

I don’t love but you’ve fell for it full line and sinker.

23 hours ago, makapaka said:

What would you rather him do? He’s not hurting anyone is he - stood in the cold trying to sell a magazine most people will refuse.

would you rather he stops selling the big issue and begs? 

Jesus wept.

If true, after 8 years of continual income from selling these magazines he should have moved on to work he wouldn't have been able to acquire before. I thought the big issue was  all about giving people a start and a first step, not for long term careerists.

He's hurting people, he is hurting other homeless who are selling the big issue or want to, by competing with them. Perhaps they have just taken the opportunity and it's all they have available, whereas this guy should be able to move on to a supermarket or warehouse job after 8 years, surely.

11 minutes ago, Steelworker said:

If true, after 8 years of continual income from selling these magazines he should have moved on to work he wouldn't have been able to acquire before. I thought the big issue was  all about giving people a start and a first step, not for long term careerists.

He's hurting people, he is hurting other homeless who are selling the big issue or want to, by competing with them. Perhaps they have just taken the opportunity and it's all they have available, whereas this guy should be able to move on to a supermarket or warehouse job after 8 years, surely.

Why?

He's effectively self employed and can do hours to suit . Might be better off than on a zero hours contract and may have mental health problems that make it difficult for him to work in an environment where he's constantly under supervision

Guest makapaka
21 minutes ago, Steelworker said:

How do you know his circumstances? 

How do you know that after  (apparently) 8 years of selling the big issue in the street he’s all set to go into full time employment and there’s a ready made job for him  in a “supermarket or warehouse”.

for gods sake the blokes making a living out of selling a magazine on the street and you’re digging him out - have a word with yourself.

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Why?

He's effectively self employed and can do hours to suit . Might be better off than on a zero hours contract and may have mental health problems that make it difficult for him to work in an environment where he's constantly under supervision

Because it goes against all the ethos of the big issue which is supposed to help the homeless.  It's not supposed to be about competing with or providing an alternative to other low skilled work. If he struggles with an environment like you suggest then he needs help and therapy to overcome it.

8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

How do you know his circumstances? 

How do you know that after  (apparently) 8 years of selling the big issue in the street he’s all set to go into full time employment and there’s a ready made job for him  in a “supermarket or warehouse”.

for gods sake the blokes making a living out of selling a magazine on the street and you’re digging him out - have a word with yourself.

The Big Issue is clearly failing if someone can sell it for 8 years without their situation changing. 

The blokes making a career out of an opportunity that is supposed to be reserved for the homeless, and therefore he is hurting the homeless in the same way fake beggars do. Either he is gaming the system and using it as an alternative to other low skilled work or the big issue has failed.

6 minutes ago, Steelworker said:

Because it goes against all the ethos of the big issue which is supposed to help the homeless.  It's not supposed to be about competing with or providing an alternative to other low skilled work. If he struggles with an environment like you suggest then he needs help and therapy to overcome it.

That was how it started back in the early 90's - things have changed - like introduction of zero hours contracts, benefits sanctions, massive cuts to budgets providing housing and support to homeless people - just a few examples.

On 22 February 2020 at 09:38, jonnythefox said:

He isnt homeless he lives on rudyard road.

If it's the old guy, I see him most mornings he pitches up just before 8am most days, when I've spoken to him he's told me he's homeless and spent the night there, even though I've watched him walk up Middlewood road minutes earlier and he's long gone once the area is quiet never see him once the shops are closed unless he then pitched up at Morrisons, hes out begging in all weathers, he chooses to pretend he's homeless. so anyone that chooses to give  him money probably thinks he's genuine and they're helping an old guy out.