Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

10 hours ago, kidley said:

What will you come out with next  "a load of scollups"

Do some research. Your average heroin addict has had a simply awful childhood; family breakup, poverty, sexual/physical abuse, the full works.

18 hours ago, Mattcheese said:

People might judge by individual experiences.....but it's far better to judge by the facts. 

All of which are available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/live-tables-on-homelessness#rough-sleeping-tables

At last count there are 26 people in the entirety of Sheffield who are rough sleeping. 

There are so many beggars in Sheffield because there is a huge drugs problem - NOT a homeless problem. If you give money, you give it virtually directly to drug dealers, and continue these individuals decline into addiction. 

The facts are all out there - but people like ignoring them to favour their own worldview. It's not nice to think that all those beggars are at the mercy of vicious drug dealers...but they are. Watch one of the beggars next time you see them. You can usually see their dealers loitering nearby, or come past every so often to pick up money and drop off drugs. 

If you give money, you're the reason this is happening. There really isn't any other debate other than that. 

Like your response. Common sense spoken. I totally agree with you. Do not give them money people. Clothes, food, a coffee, yes. Money - no. Don't feed their habit.

15 hours ago, Halibut said:

No. The real reason there are drug addicts is childhood trauma. You're wrong.

Any evidence to prove this?  What about peer pressure, experimentation, depression, anxiety?

I find it hard to believe that people wait until they're an adult then go onto drugs because of a "childhood trauma".

19 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Any evidence to prove this?  What about peer pressure, experimentation, depression, anxiety?

I find it hard to believe that people wait until they're an adult then go onto drugs because of a "childhood trauma".

Fill your boots - https://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=link+between+addiction+and+childhood+trauma&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

That doesn't corroborate what you claimed. 

Yes, childhood abuse is bound to be a trigger for drug abuse in some people. So will peer pressure, experimentation, depression, anxiety etc etc. Claiming that 'the real there are drug addicts is childhood trauma' is ignoring all the other legitimate reasons. 

46 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

That doesn't corroborate what you claimed. 

Yes, childhood abuse is bound to be a trigger for drug abuse in some people. So will peer pressure, experimentation, depression, anxiety etc etc. Claiming that 'the real there are drug addicts is childhood trauma' is ignoring all the other legitimate reasons. 

You're talking about drug abuse - I was referring  specifically to addiction. There's a vast number of people who 'abuse' or rather use as I prefer to think of it) drugs, who don't become addicted. Change the wording slightly then if you must and say - one of the most, if not the single biggest factor which drug and alcohol addicts have in common, is a history of childhood trauma.

53 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You're talking about drug abuse - I was referring  specifically to addiction. There's a vast number of people who 'abuse' or rather use as I prefer to think of it) drugs, who don't become addicted. Change the wording slightly then if you must and say - one of the most, if not the single biggest factor which drug and alcohol addicts have in common, is a history of childhood trauma.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drug-misuse-addiction

"As with other diseases and disorders, the likelihood of developing an addiction differs from person to person, and no single factor determines whether a person will become addicted to drugs. In general, the more risk factors a person has, the greater the chance that taking drugs will lead to drug use and addiction. Protective factors, on the other hand, reduce a person's risk. Risk and protective factors may be either environmental or biological." 

Childhood abuse is obviously a risk factor. I've not seen the evidence to suggest it is the single biggest factor, or where it ranks when compared to the other factors (lack of parental supervision, poor social skills, drug experimentation, availability of drugs in schools, and community poverty). I'm not sure such evidence exists as it would be very difficult to prove. 

As long as society can be blamed for these people's drug addiction and they can be left entirely blameless to fit the anti Conservative political agenda.

What a slap in the face for the majority of people who have suffered genuine trauma and hardship in their lives that aren't thieves, drug addicts and beggars.

24 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

As long as society can be blamed for these people's drug addiction and they can be left entirely blameless to fit the anti Conservative political agenda.

What a slap in the face for the majority of people who have suffered genuine trauma and hardship in their lives that aren't thieves, drug addicts and beggars.

What utter nonsense.

6 hours ago, Halibut said:

Do some research. Your average heroin addict has had a simply awful childhood; family breakup, poverty, sexual/physical abuse, the full works.

I have known thousands of kids who match the bold above and, very few of them became drug addicts, other things yes but drug addicts no. That may have been in the eighties but, it still stands firm to day with the fostering and adoption program.

every thing that goes wrong with people in later life gets blamed on a bad childhood. NOT SO  

12 minutes ago, kidley said:

I have known thousands of kids who match the bold above and, very few of them became drug addicts, other things yes but drug addicts no. That may have been in the eighties but, it still stands firm to day with the fostering and adoption program.

every thing that goes wrong with people in later life gets blamed on a bad childhood. NOT SO  

The fact that lots of people have awful childhoods and don't become addicts doesn't mean that lots of addicts haven't had awful childhoods.