Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

16 hours ago, Robin-H said:

Then please enlighten us. As you know so much on the subject, I presume you've read the very comprehensive Roundtree report on the subject. 

Why do you disagree with its conclusions, which states that an increase in the provision of giving heroin as treatment in multi-centre, randomised, controlled trials is well overdue. You seem to be very much against this. What do you know that they didn't? 

Completely Agree Robin...A close family member has been using heroin for many many years as said previously, he has been in prison many many times & each time he was released he was clean but not for long...      Once the chemical changes in the brain have set in, which can happen quite quickly, the craving never goes away...Heroin is deadly !!!!!!!!!!!

its far better IMHO  to treat & monitor them than let them carry on stealing to fund the addiction & buying the crap from dealers on the streets.

9 hours ago, wearysmith said:

People will always judge on individual experiences. Get your head around this scenario; 

Remember back in November when the Xmas cabins appeared on Fargate, we took our 3 year old granddaughter and one year old grandson down to see the lights and meet Father Christmas. It was a very cold evening and we bought the kids 3 hot sausage rolls from Greggs. Robyn tucked into hers and for Rory we broke one in half as he couldn't manage a full one (wife's a veggie so I had the other half). We held on to the 3rd one in case Robyn got hungry again later in the evening. She didn't, so rather than take a sausage roll home my wife offered it to a man sat outside WHSmith. He took it, looked at her and gave it back immediately saying "It's cold. Don't want a cold one". The distain on his face was evident.

So that comes back to the real truth of 'homeless' people in the city centre; are they genuinely homeless/hungry or just druggies who are offended if you don't give them cash? How are we ever to know? Simple answer - we never will. Do we stop trying to help? Well, if anymore of that behaviour continues, probably. 

A friend had a very similar experience in another city.  He offered a hot dog he had just bought to a ‘homeless’ person only for it to be refused as he ‘didn’t know where it had been’.  

The amount of begging in the city centre is a disgrace. Yes, it’s partly down to tories and austerity but it’s also due to misguided people giving to beggars. The only people profiting here are the drug dealers. 

58 minutes ago, redruby said:

A friend had a very similar experience in another city.  He offered a hot dog he had just bought to a ‘homeless’ person only for it to be refused as he ‘didn’t know where it had been’.  

The amount of begging in the city centre is a disgrace. Yes, it’s partly down to tories and austerity but it’s also due to misguided people giving to beggars. The only people profiting here are the drug dealers. 

Maybe because of the wide publicity given to stories like this?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/25/cop-gave-homeless-man-poop-sandwich-set-keep-job-9014406/

As per previous post workers in homeless services advise not giving money/food/drink to individuals. They argue this will force those in genuine need to access services providing food/drink alongside advice and support to address underlying issues and access accommodation. They ask anyone wanting to help signpost people to local services 

There's plenty of empty factories or never-used office blocks here in our city. I used to think it was a perfect solution; people need shelter for the night, open the doors and let 'em in. That, to my knowledge, has ever been done here. I wonder why. But then, can the scammers make a living if they're undercover, safe and out of sight? We're always back to the 'who is genuine, who is fake' conundrum.

11 hours ago, Longcol said:

Maybe because of the wide publicity given to stories like this?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/25/cop-gave-homeless-man-poop-sandwich-set-keep-job-9014406/

And this:

Lonely homeless man who 'just wanted a hug' has sleeping bag set on fire

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/homeless-man-who-just-wanted-17688632

1 hour ago, wearysmith said:

There's plenty of empty factories or never-used office blocks here in our city. I used to think it was a perfect solution; people need shelter for the night, open the doors and let 'em in. That, to my knowledge, has ever been done here. I wonder why. But then, can the scammers make a living if they're undercover, safe and out of sight? We're always back to the 'who is genuine, who is fake' conundrum.

I think there are obvious reasons why that isn't done... 

4 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Takes about 3 seconds of wondering why? Because they are owned by somebody/some company.

I imagine your settee isn't used at night....open the doors and let em in.

People might judge by individual experiences.....but it's far better to judge by the facts. 

All of which are available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/live-tables-on-homelessness#rough-sleeping-tables

At last count there are 26 people in the entirety of Sheffield who are rough sleeping. 

There are so many beggars in Sheffield because there is a huge drugs problem - NOT a homeless problem. If you give money, you give it virtually directly to drug dealers, and continue these individuals decline into addiction. 

The facts are all out there - but people like ignoring them to favour their own worldview. It's not nice to think that all those beggars are at the mercy of vicious drug dealers...but they are. Watch one of the beggars next time you see them. You can usually see their dealers loitering nearby, or come past every so often to pick up money and drop off drugs. 

If you give money, you're the reason this is happening. There really isn't any other debate other than that. 

4 hours ago, Mattcheese said:

If you give money, you're the reason this is happening. There really isn't any other debate other than that. 

No. The real reason there are drug addicts is childhood trauma. You're wrong.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

What will you come out with next  "a load of scollups"

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

But the reason they are on the street begging is because misguided folk think they are helping the homeless, not giving money to drug addicts with chaotic lifestyles stuck in vicious circle of begging and addiction made all the harder to break by people giving them money.  The only people benefiting are the drug Dealers.