Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

42 minutes ago, Halibut said:

You're just illustrating a pitiful lack of knowledge and understanding now.  There are very few side effects from pharmaceutically pure heroin, but stopping taking it causes severe muscular pains, sweating, anxiety, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and insomnia.

To say ''Who forces addicts to carry on? Themselves'' is just crass ignorance - as I said before, it's an overwhelming physical compulsion that makes addicts continue to use.

So what? What use is that observation?

My pitiful lack of knowledge on this subject? I know far more about this subject than you realise. You have a typical liberal attitude. It is possible to be weaned off heroin without the severe side effects but you would know that. So who makes them carry on using? Crass ignorance is thinking addicts have no other choice.

Guest makapaka
5 hours ago, lottiecass said:

How is it rubbish toby, it's reality , no doubt you will know some heroin addicts that will say its not but obviously you know more on the subject than me.

Yes he clearly does.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

Yes he clearly does.

Please elaborate. It was sarcasm.

Edited by lottiecass

6 hours ago, lottiecass said:

Please elaborate. It was sarcasm.

7 hours ago, lottiecass said:

My pitiful lack of knowledge on this subject? I know far more about this subject than you realise. You have a typical liberal attitude. It is possible to be weaned off heroin without the severe side effects but you would know that. So who makes them carry on using? Crass ignorance is thinking addicts have no other choice.

You're hiding it brilliantly well.😆

If we could refrain from insulting each other please.

On 27/01/2020 at 18:46, lottiecass said:

Common sense tells me that prescribed heroin = more addicts that will be less liable to come off it. This is my point, for how long will an addict be prescribed heroin? there would have to be a limit, then what happens? back to the dealer it would seem so little change there.

A full blown addicted Heroin Addict just cant stop taking it & most dont want to stop....& they find when fully addicted that they need Heroin just to feel normal again & not to get the rush they got when they 1st started using..

long term use of Heroin changes the Brain function & more often permanently. So these users need treating for the addiction just like if they had any other illness & if they were they would not need the dealers.

https://www.drugrehab.com/addiction/drugs/heroin/heroin-effects-on-the-brain/

Edited by Pussycat12

On 28/01/2020 at 22:43, Halibut said:

You're just illustrating a pitiful lack of knowledge and understanding now.  There are very few side effects from pharmaceutically pure heroin, but stopping taking it causes severe muscular pains, sweating, anxiety, stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and insomnia.

To say ''Who forces addicts to carry on? Themselves'' is just crass ignorance - as I said before, it's an overwhelming physical compulsion that makes addicts continue to use.

So what? What use is that observation?

Apart from all the know side effects ? Which includes all the effects you have listed (minus diarrhea and replaced with constipation).  Plus of course the crippling dependance which just gets worse over time.

Yes we are aware that going cold turkey is not great but its a damn sight better than od'ing

Handing it out freely to addicts is not going to solve anything. They will only top up with street gear as they do on methodone.

Education is what is needed, along with the will of the user to stop for a better life

Edit : Can i ask were your "knowledge and understanding" for this subject matter is coming from? Apologies if you have already mentioned,its a long thread

Edited by thecult
Update

6 minutes ago, thecult said:

Education is what is needed, along with the will of the user to stop for a better life

So, carry on with the decades old approach that we know doesn't work.

Good idea.

10 minutes ago, ads36 said:

So, carry on with the decades old approach that we know doesn't work.

Good idea.

Any better ideas?

11 hours ago, thecult said:

Any better ideas?

Yes. Follow the example of Portugal.

17 hours ago, Halibut said:

Yes. Follow the example of Portugal.

Different cultures have different answers. Portugal solution works for them and I'm glad for that.

Still, my question remains unanswered, where is your "understanding and knowledge" from this subject coming from? As you speak with such confidence in what you say, however none of which relates to the situations we face in the UK

On 05/10/2016 at 16:09, lipschitz said:

Returned to Sheffield to visit friends this week and can't believe the amount of beggars on the streets of the city centre! Most have dogs to tug at the heartstrings which is a cheap trick and borders on animal cruelty as these animals have no say as to who their owners are. The best thing I saw was a 'homeless' guy selling the big issue while looking intently at his touchscreen phone which looked better than the one I own!

If someone is generous enough to give some spare change would it be better spent on food or saved until you have enough money for a top up?

Does anyone know if these people are genuine or not?

A big issue seller with a smartphone is a success story.

I have nothing but respect for big issue sellers, they are go getters, and why shouldn't they buy a nice phone for their hard work? 

As for your other gripes with homeless people, I do agree with you that there are some that are lazy and manipulative (same as all walks of life).

However, there are many that have had terrible lives, abuse victims, mental health issues, victims of crime etc that have led to their situation. 

More should be done as a society to help these people, especially the approach to the treatment of serious drug addiction.