Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Just now, Halibut said:

It's not about giving them more - it's about giving them a safe, pharmaceutically clean, maintenance dose, which frees them from having to spend two thirds of their time searching for the next score and having to steal, mug, or prostitute themselves to pay for it.

I do understand this Mr Halibut.  I'm qualified in this field - are you?  I'm telling you that you cannot give them heroin to break the habit of heroin.  You can give them a heroin substitute, like methadone, which is what is being done currently.  Go find someone else to have your idiotic arguments with.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I do understand this Mr Halibut.  I'm qualified in this field - are you?  I'm telling you that you cannot give them heroin to break the habit of heroin.  You can give them a heroin substitute, like methadone, which is what is being done currently.  Go find someone else to have your idiotic arguments with.

What qualifications are you referring to?

On 17/01/2020 at 09:41, Halibut said:

What qualifications are you referring to?

Shall I send you my CV?😀   

Sorry, but you are just looking to argue, or contradict, just about everything that is posted on here.  You are, as we say locally, "a contrary Mary".  Do carry on.  But try and have some social conscience as well.  When you suggest things like making heroin available to heroin addicts as being a good thing, you are being irresponsible in my view.  Anyone reading this, who may be addicted to heroin, (and I hope that is no one at all!) might be encouraged to continue.

The whole reason why methadone is given is to get them off heroin.  Once they start on heroin it is inevitably a downward spiral.  Methadone is the most suitable heroin substitute.  It is still an opiate (same family as heroin) but it is available in a "safe, pharmaceutically clean,  maintenance dose, which frees them from having to spend two thirds of their time searching for the next score and having to steal, mug, or prostitute themselves to pay for it".

So educate us all now, and tell us why you think giving heroin would be a better alternative?  

On 17/01/2020 at 07:54, Halibut said:

It's not about giving them more - it's about giving them a safe, pharmaceutically clean, maintenance dose, which frees them from having to spend two thirds of their time searching for the next score and having to steal, mug, or prostitute themselves to pay for it.

You're just completely wrong. 

Please provide the scientific evidence that supports this statement?

16 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Shall I send you my CV?😀  

No thanks, but your response suggests that your claim ''I'm qualified in this field'' was without foundation. 

Sorry, but you are just looking to argue, or contradict, just about everything that is posted on here.  You are, as we say locally, "a contrary Mary".  Do carry on.  But try and have some social conscience as well.  When you suggest things like making heroin available to heroin addicts as being a good thing, you are being irresponsible in my view.  Anyone reading this, who may be addicted to heroin, (and I hope that is no one at all!) might be encouraged to continue.

I've plenty of social conscience thankyou having spent my working life thus far in psychiatric nursing, teaching and advocacy. You're line about 'anyone reading this who's an addict might be encouraged to continue' tells me and anyone else reading that you are utterly clueless about the realities of addiction.

The whole reason why methadone is given is to get them off heroin.  Once they start on heroin it is inevitably a downward spiral.  Methadone is the most suitable heroin substitute.  It is still an opiate (same family as heroin) but it is available in a "safe, pharmaceutically clean,  maintenance dose, which frees them from having to spend two thirds of their time searching for the next score and having to steal, mug, or prostitute themselves to pay for it".

So educate us all now, and tell us why you think giving heroin would be a better alternative?  

Read this - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/jan/10/why-methadone-drugs-dont-work

18 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Shall I send you my CV?😀   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/10/norway-trials-free-heroin-prescriptions-for-most-serious-addicts

Norway is going to trial doing exactly that, as apparently is Middlesborough.. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/09/revealed-british-town-give-worst-drug-addicts-two-daily-doses/

There is scientific evidence it works.. https://www.healio.com/primary-care/addiction/news/online/{74628f44-d951-4681-b93b-095e6859a7fb}/heroin-assisted-treatment-successful-in-foreign-countries-should-be-considered-in-us

"Patients in foreign countries who could not stop using medical-grade heroin with conventional traditional treatment methods were successfully treated when they were provided heroin in a supervised setting, a report recently released by the RAND Corporation found." 

Thanks for that information Robin-H. Here's a very thought provoking article about giving money to the homeless, addicts and beggars from the New Statesman. I implore anyone who has contributed to this thread to read it - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/10/why-you-should-give-money-directly-and-unconditionally-homeless-people?fbclid=IwAR3xUD-AM-e38kw0PU71jnIhGT3AjyF4rPmP-DGULoKQ3abyHugV-sEAl_Y#amp

On 24/01/2020 at 14:50, Robin-H said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/10/norway-trials-free-heroin-prescriptions-for-most-serious-addicts

Norway is going to trial doing exactly that, as apparently is Middlesborough.. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/09/revealed-british-town-give-worst-drug-addicts-two-daily-doses/

There is scientific evidence it works.. https://www.healio.com/primary-care/addiction/news/online/{74628f44-d951-4681-b93b-095e6859a7fb}/heroin-assisted-treatment-successful-in-foreign-countries-should-be-considered-in-us

"Patients in foreign countries who could not stop using medical-grade heroin with conventional traditional treatment methods were successfully treated when they were provided heroin in a supervised setting, a report recently released by the RAND Corporation found." 

Ok robin, a good idea but the big but is your bold print. 

19 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Ok robin, a good idea but the big but is your bold print. 

Why do you see that as a problem?

This idea was around in the 90s. Designated clinics where heroin would be provided under medical supervision alongside counselling, housing and health care services. Rejected by the public and politicians as condoning and therefore escalating heroin use.  I think not only has usage increased but also the associated social and criminal effects 

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

This idea was around in the 90s. Designated clinics where heroin would be provided under medical supervision alongside counselling, housing and health care services. Rejected by the public and politicians as condoning and therefore escalating heroin use.  I think not only has usage increased but also the associated social and criminal effects 

Where? When? Without such information, you're merely speculating.

There is certainly more deaths from overdosing than there ever was, deaths from o.d is at record levels.

whether there is more people using drugs or not is irrelevant when there is more people overdosing themselves to death.