Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

34 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I'm advocating that those addicted to heroin be given heroin on prescription. 

Why and how is that different to the present situation viz methadone, counselling etc?

We must not pretend that prescription heroin will prevent begging and street drug abuse by people with either complex needs or criminal intent. I am pleased that you are not advocating a liberal approach to psychotics but you have left me wondering what problem prescription heroin would alleviate for both society and the individuals. 

There are some amazing genuine homeless people out there that are really trying to get a break in life. When you see someone with a dog it doesn't necessarily mean that they are doing it to pull at heart strings, get more money etc etc, Remember that for some they may have not been homeless when they had the dog and as we all say a dog is for life not just for Christmas, therefore they may not be able to let go. I know most homeless people i know look after their dogs more than they actually look after themselves.

That being said i would always say not to offer money, always offer to buy a hot drink, food, something for the dog anything that doesn't involve you handing money over. Any genuine homeless person will be grateful of a hot meal etc. 

Sadly most homeless people do have a addiction of some sort whether that be alcohol, drugs or both therefore offering to buy them a hot meal or something for the dog etc, doesn't fund their habit and they will be grateful of a full belly. 

On 04/01/2020 at 18:15, jaffa1 said:

Sensible?  It won't be for free someone would have to pay probably  the tax payer.

Then there's  the alcoholics, they would then want their booze for free, what about the smokers, don't  leave them out, free fags?

There  are No "Booze Dealers" & No Fag dealers <>only those selling cheap contraband & they are now few.... Drug Dealing is at epidemic  levels all over the world & thats why there are so many  young death by knife crime all over the UK.

I am a believer that treating Drug Addicts by prescribing addicts  & Heroin in particular which is a Evil Drug it would get rid of most of the Drug Dealers & eventually all of them, it will also it will cut out the shoplifting  by the addicts. a win win situation imo 

Look what happened in the USA when they banned Alcohol in the 20's there were bootleggers / Gangsters all over the country earning fortunes & also murdering each other just like what happening now with the Drug dealings.

Edited by Pussycat12

After over 2000 posts covering 170-odd pages, hasn't the subject been done to death?
Give them money/don't.
Give them food/don't.
Give them accommodation/don't.
The posts are simply going round in circles, with relatively nothing new as regards possible "solutions" in them.

On 05/01/2020 at 13:45, Tony said:

Why and how is that different to the present situation viz methadone, counselling etc?

We must not pretend that prescription heroin will prevent begging and street drug abuse by people with either complex needs or criminal intent. I am pleased that you are not advocating a liberal approach to psychotics but you have left me wondering what problem prescription heroin would alleviate for both society and the individuals. 

Psychotics? Presumably you intended to write 'psychedelics', but heroin isn't really regarded as a psychedelic.

On 13/01/2020 at 05:02, Halibut said:

Psychotics? Presumably you intended to write 'psychedelics', but heroin isn't really regarded as a psychedelic.

There  are No "Booze Dealers" & No Fag dealers <>only those selling cheap contraband & they are now few.... Drug Dealing is at epidemic  levels all over the world & thats why there are so many  young death by knife crime all over the UK.

I am a believer that treating Drug Addicts by prescribing addicts  & Heroin in particular which is a Evil Drug it would get rid of most of the Drug Dealers & eventually all of them, it will also it will cut out the shoplifting  by the addicts. a win win situation imo 

Look what happened in the USA when they banned Alcohol in the 20's there were bootleggers / Gangsters all over the country earning fortunes & also murdering each other just like what happening now with the Drug dealings.

The biggest and No 1 Drug Dealer's are the GOV'T.

They hate it when folk try to do it behind their back.

There are some old songs about this. 

Been going on for years.

The benefit for heroin adults and everyone else will in theory be that the don't engage in criminal behaviour to get fixes and have a safe supply so are less likely to develop health or which cost the NHS.

The problem is, heroin is great (I know, I've taken it). If you are someone who has a lot of sadness and pain or mental health issues it gives you a release from those feelings for a while and that's incredible. It's why so many people get addicted despite the awful, awful results.

At the moment heroin is not at all easy to get. Dealers are incredibly cagey and usually only sell to people who are vouched for by others they know. Other users are often incredibly reluctant to do that as they don't want someone else buying up their supply and as they're usually the ones who let a friend try a bit etc it's frequently hard to get a supply even if you try really hard. It's not like a bloke down the pub knocking out a few pills and a bit of weed. Heroin dealing can still carry longish sentences so it's very hush, hush.

People usually don't get in a situation where they will have heroin available to them and attractive to them unless their are already profound problems in their lives like homelessness , abusive relationships, criminality or other serious addictions.  So yes, in theory it sounds a good thing to do.

My problem with liberalisation of laws around heroin is that if heroin is being prescribed inevitably there is going to be a lot more heroin around and no matter how hard the authorities attempt to control the flows there will be leakage and heroin will become more available in general and that might mean it becomes available to a much wider range of people. And they won't be that worried about getting a habit because they know they'll be able to get a prescription and probably benefits too. I think it poses a risk of sending the new rates of addiction rocketing. And even safe supplies will eventually impact on people's health. Heroin almost immediately curtails most people's ability to work or parent or care for themselves properly. Spice was pretty bad a few years ago but I think heroin has the potential to be quite something else. The US has a terrible problem with opiate abuse at the moment. There have been incidents where parents have been found passed out on opiates in their car while their kids are strapped in the back seats.

I really think the potential risks are far too high for it to be worthwhile.

On 05/01/2020 at 13:03, Halibut said:

I'm advocating that those addicted to heroin be given heroin on prescription. 

The objective is to wean them off heroin, not give them more of it.  This is why a heroin substitute is used on prescription - it's called methadone.

On 05/01/2020 at 12:04, Halibut said:

Actually, yes. By no means everyone who uses herein becomes addicted.

Heroin in moderation is NOT even a thing .  

Although heroin addiction does not begin after just one use, as some people believe, the pleasurable feelings that it induces can motivate people to use it again. A physical and psychological dependence on heroin may actually take a while to set in, during which time the user will probably think that they have their use under control. However, as tolerance to the drug starts to go up, they will need to take more of it, and more frequently, to feel the same effects.

For this reason, a heroin user is often already an addict before they even realise that there is a problem.  

I think you are intelligent enough to know this - but you obviously just like arguing with people, so we'll leave you to get on with that.

2 minutes ago, DerbyTup said:

The objective is to wean them off heroin, not give them more of it.  This is why a heroin substitute is used on prescription - it's called methadone.

It's not about giving them more - it's about giving them a safe, pharmaceutically clean, maintenance dose, which frees them from having to spend two thirds of their time searching for the next score and having to steal, mug, or prostitute themselves to pay for it.

1 minute ago, DerbyTup said:

Heroin in moderation is NOT even a thing .  

You're just completely wrong.