Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

17 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Sensible?  It won't be for free someone would have to pay probably  the tax payer.

Then there's  the alcoholics, they would then want their booze for free, what about the smokers, don't  leave them out, free fags?

Heroin is very cheap. It would be a great deal less than the cost of all the policing involved in thefts, muggings and burglaries by addicts.

Alcoholics rarely steal, burgle and and mug to feed their addictions, nor do smokers - and both of theses are legal.

I'd rather my taxpayer £9 be spent giving someone with addiction problems a safe product, than that same £9 paying for a pack of paracetamol for someone who gets free scrips.  Paracetamol and ibuprofen can be bought in a supermarket for as little as 16p.  

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

Heroin is very cheap. It would be a great deal less than the cost of all the policing involved in thefts, muggings and burglaries by addicts.

Alcoholics rarely steal, burgle and and mug to feed their addictions, nor do smokers - and both of theses are legal.

Yes perhaps you're  right, give them as much as they want , sign their death warrant and they'll  be less on the streets.

50 minutes ago, feargal said:

I'd rather my taxpayer £9 be spent giving someone with addiction problems a safe product, than that same £9 paying for a pack of paracetamol for someone who gets free scrips.  Paracetamol and ibuprofen can be bought in a supermarket for as little as 16p.  

I agree paracetamol and ibuprofen  should not be given out on free prescriptions, I know someone who collects them free then gives them out to the family, scroungers.  

5 hours ago, Halibut said:

Alcohol is socially acceptable, not just legal. Presumably you aren't advocating for heroin bars and take outs - is heroin in moderation even a thing?

On 31/12/2019 at 12:58, overtheborder said:

Do you know what the program is, or have you got a link at all?

Radio 4, 11 or 11.30am on the date I posted

On 01/01/2020 at 10:58, The Joker said:

I wouldn't cast Michael Gove as being merely middle-class.

Then again, now the Tories are allegedly the party of the Working Class, perhaps Mr Gove will spend the rest of this parliament slumming it out with the rest of us on the poverty line.

It wasn't "Sir" Iain Duncan Smith, was it?

He's certainly been honoured for his contribution to homelessness 🙄

No certainly not- I don’t think he would have spoken with the knowledge and experience the person I listened to portrayed. I believe ‘Sir’ IDS only contribution is to increase homelessness by way of his benefit ‘reforms ‘

I think we have to accept that direct access temporary accommodation for single males in Sheffield is dire. The Salvation Army is nearly always full as they accommodate a lot of long term , residents who require 24 hour support. The often chaotic lifestyle of new residents can lead to conflict and their expulsion. St Anne’s is almost always full and ,when someone is excluded for contravening the no drink/drug policy there is a race for the free place. Unlike most cities Sheffield does not have a night shelter which, with outreach workers, might not only provide accommodation but support people to engage with appropriate services. There are a few SCC funded private accommodation providers for single adults deemed in priority need under the Homelessness Act but, in my experience, these are often low standard ,unstaffed and unsafe facilities which some people might feel is less favourable than rough sleeping which does have some camaraderie. Begging is not the preserve of the homeless, housed people with substance misuse or benefit claimants awaiting payment also beg to supplement their income

14 hours ago, Halibut said:

"most violent crime, including murder, is committed in the heat of the moment, without premeditation and often by people who are drunk, drugged or both."

Your own words.

1 hour ago, Branyy said:

"most violent crime, including murder, is committed in the heat of the moment, without premeditation and often by people who are drunk, drugged or both."

Your own words.

People tend not to commit murders on heroin.

11 hours ago, Tony said:

Alcohol is socially acceptable, not just legal. Presumably you aren't advocating for heroin bars and take outs - is heroin in moderation even a thing?

Actually, yes. By no means everyone who uses herein becomes addicted.

44 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Actually, yes. By no means everyone who uses herein becomes addicted.

So you are advocating for heroin bars and take outs.

I'm not having a dig at you but there is a lot of hand waving around of drug legalisation and people are often pointed towards alcohol for comparison, or at Portugal for the better informed. But when the actualities of it are held up - heroin bars and take outs - there is a deep reluctance to discuss it in the adult fashion they claim to want to. 

Will this heroin be sold in the pub alongside Stella and Stones and will the supermarket just need proof of age if I can pass for under 18? 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

So you are advocating for heroin bars and take outs.

I'm not having a dig at you but there is a lot of hand waving around of drug legalisation and people are often pointed towards alcohol for comparison, or at Portugal for the better informed. But when the actualities of it are held up - heroin bars and take outs - there is a deep reluctance to discuss it in the adult fashion they claim to want to. 

Will this heroin be sold in the pub alongside Stella and Stones and will the supermarket just need proof of age if I can pass for under 18? 

I'm advocating that those addicted to heroin be given heroin on prescription.