Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Very good statement "Minimo" it is a very deep issue......

There are many  young people that are forced out of their family circle to be left to look after themselves....

To me that is disgusting behaviour from their parents these young people will have a very very hard time trying to come to terms with rejection but once they do they should pat themselves on the back and remember those that drove them to the streets and never forgive them for that...

They need to be strong and believe in themselves stay off drink,drugs and to keep a wide berth from those that can cause them hurt and distress they will then realise that they never needed the ones that turned on them !!!!!!!

I have been in Sheffield 3 months and spend many days walking city center tracking all the great street art here.  I see beggars everywhere and it is distressing, and I am out very early in the mornings and I can tell you that they are not doing well, not when I find four of them sleeping on the pavement in an alley shivering under inadequate blankets as I did early this morning.  If you are interested to know more about them, do go out and meet them in their spaces and find out how it is.  They are not inspiring people, or pretty, or well adjusted, or even often coherent in their speech, but they are humans who are suffering.  Perhaps they don't know how best to help themselves, but certainly the rest of us are pretty hopeless at helping them.  I'm from the US and have been traveling in the UK for decades, shocked to see the huge increase in homeless population throughout this country, in every city I visit.  Recently I read "The Salt Path" and thought more about the situation of these people.  Something is wrong in the system if there are more and more.  And while sometimes there are cheats, I can't see all these people bedding down around garbage cans in cold, wet doorways to be getting off well in life, can you?

3 minutes ago, Sherry Gray said:

I have been in Sheffield 3 months and spend many days walking city center tracking all the great street art here.  I see beggars everywhere and it is distressing, and I am out very early in the mornings and I can tell you that they are not doing well, not when I find four of them sleeping on the pavement in an alley shivering under inadequate blankets as I did early this morning.  If you are interested to know more about them, do go out and meet them in their spaces and find out how it is.  They are not inspiring people, or pretty, or well adjusted, or even often coherent in their speech, but they are humans who are suffering.  Perhaps they don't know how best to help themselves, but certainly the rest of us are pretty hopeless at helping them.  I'm from the US and have been traveling in the UK for decades, shocked to see the huge increase in homeless population throughout this country, in every city I visit.  Recently I read "The Salt Path" and thought more about the situation of these people.  Something is wrong in the system if there are more and more.  And while sometimes there are cheats, I can't see all these people bedding down around garbage cans in cold, wet doorways to be getting off well in life, can you?

Damn right love.

On 21/12/2019 at 18:08, Box11 said:

Very good statement "Minimo" it is a very deep issue......

There are many  young people that are forced out of their family circle to be left to look after themselves....

To me that is disgusting behaviour from their parents these young people will have a very very hard time trying to come to terms with rejection but once they do they should pat themselves on the back and remember those that drove them to the streets and never forgive them for that...

They need to be strong and believe in themselves stay off drink,drugs and to keep a wide berth from those that can cause them hurt and distress they will then realise that they never needed the ones that turned on them !!!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^

Easier said than done though.  Just imagine being kicked out by your parents at 15 or 16  and having NOWHERE to go.

On 22/12/2019 at 20:53, blackydog said:

^^^^^^^^^

Easier said than done though.  Just imagine being kicked out by your parents at 15 or 16  and having NOWHERE to go.

That's why they need to be strong through the rough and try their best to get back on track once they do they should never look back.....

3 hours ago, Box11 said:

That's why they need to be strong through the rough and try their best to get back on track once they do they should never look back.....

Perhaps we are looking at this through rose tinted parenthood glasses. Some teenage children can be extremely challenging especially when drink/drugs are involved. Theft ,violence and criminality can impact on younger siblings and cause conflict of interest for parents. I worked in a substance misuse project and saw many  loving family members who could only maintain contact in the safety of the project. Most of these families had tried to access support for their child through statutory agencies without success- in fact some advised making offspring homeless as the quickest route to support. The Homeless Act deems anyone under 18 as vulnerable so eligible for immediate housing albeit temporary accommodation until appropriate permanent housing is found. Unfortunately for some individuals the issues causing the breakdown of family housing reoccurs in temporary housing 

oh please .... when will all you people stop equating homelessness which is a scurge on society with seeing people sleeping rough on the streets of Sheffield , the two are completely different , the people on our streets are there because they will not engage with any of the myriad of services available to them , some are homeless yes but others are not , begging is the reason thay are there , and not begging to survive but feed a habit , the real homeless , the ones who want and need assistance are being forgotten in this rush to blame the system that is being abused by the few

6 hours ago, Walksalot said:

oh please .... when will all you people stop equating homelessness which is a scurge on society with seeing people sleeping rough on the streets of Sheffield , the two are completely different , the people on our streets are there because they will not engage with any of the myriad of services available to them , some are homeless yes but others are not , begging is the reason thay are there , and not begging to survive but feed a habit , the real homeless , the ones who want and need assistance are being forgotten in this rush to blame the system that is being abused by the few

Well said and correct.

Guest makapaka
On 23/12/2019 at 21:14, Box11 said:

Oh yeah - doddle.

7 hours ago, Walksalot said:

Do you think those people want to live a life begging on the streets to feed addiction?

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Oh yeah - doddle.

Do you think those people want to live a life begging on the streets to feed addiction?

Probably not maka but that's their choice. They know where they can go for help but can't turn up drunk or gouching. If people stopped giving beggars money that  is spent on drink and/or drugs the begging in town would stop.

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Probably not maka but that's their choice. They know where they can go for help but can't turn up drunk or gouching. If people stopped giving beggars money that  is spent on drink and/or drugs the begging in town would stop.

I used to advocate giving them money but someone on here  involved in homelessness  put a very well thought out argument on the misgivings of handing out money and I get it in a way. 

What I don’t like is the assumption that the step to sorting themselves out is something they could just do easily - cos that’s not the case.

2 hours ago, lottiecass said:

And we'd see an increase in shoplifting, burglary, mugging etc. There are no easy answers - especially as services to support vulnerable people have been slashed thanks to the "austerity" regime.

In 20 odd years of working for homeless charities I never met anyone who "chose" to live on the streets - unless they'd been assaulted, robbed, raped etc in homeless hostels or suffered similar abuse in other housing / family settings - and couldn't see any better choices for themselves.