Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Back on topic please.

Edited by nikki-red

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

Altamont?

knebworth in the 90s?

I’ll say it again - I’m not suggesting it wasn’t a good time to be alive - I’m saying there’s no point pretending everything was great then and it’s all awful now.

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

Altamont?

knebworth in the 90s?

I’ll say it again - I’m not suggesting it wasn’t a good time to be alive - I’m saying there’s no point pretending everything was great then and it’s all awful now.

I don't have a problem with life today ,I was just defending life in the sixties as you were implying that all we had was strife.

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I don't have a problem with life today ,I was just defending life in the sixties as you were implying that all we had was strife.

i never intended that.

i was highlighting similar issues in the 60s to that which we have today. 

On the original topic, i saw an article last night about food bank use increasing recently, so there does seem to be need out there. Not sure if anyone has experienced this but could it be anything to do with the introduction of universal credit, benefits being stopped etc? I'm not suggesting it is, just asking the question hoping someone with a bit more knowledge might be able to answer it.

On 30/10/2019 at 09:42, overtheborder said:

On the original topic, i saw an article last night about food bank use increasing recently, so there does seem to be need out there. Not sure if anyone has experienced this but could it be anything to do with the introduction of universal credit, benefits being stopped etc? I'm not suggesting it is, just asking the question hoping someone with a bit more knowledge might be able to answer it.

Some useful statistics on the Trussel Trust website showing both the increase in usage of foodbanks and the reasons people being referred to foodbanks.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/news-and-blog/latest-stats/mid-year-stats/

Delays to benefits and benefit sanctions are a major factor, as is low pay.

Coming out of the city hall last night, I was approached by a man who was clearly a druggie. I said," no thanks" before he had time to speak. "I was only asking for the time", he said. When I pointed out the town hall clock he got very aggressive and told me to "eff off."  I walked away and hopefully he didn't herangue any one else.

Are beggars getting more aggressive? 

8 hours ago, melv said:

Coming out of the city hall last night, I was approached by a man who was clearly a druggie. I said," no thanks" before he had time to speak. "I was only asking for the time", he said. When I pointed out the town hall clock he got very aggressive and told me to "eff off."  I walked away and hopefully he didn't herangue any one else.

I remember walking through Botanical gardens, towards the exit leading to Tesco on Ecclesall Road, when a woman who begged there asked me to... Uh... Make sure a pigeon was alright? I just automatically said 'no, sorry' because I assumed they wanted money, but she got super upset and started screaming, telling me I need to find someone who works in the gardens and tell them there's a pigeon that's hurt. I just said I would do so she'd leave me alone.

21 hours ago, melv said:

We came out of The City Hall last year to be approached by a young woman asking for money. When I refused, she followed me down the road shouting “ You don’t know what it’s like to be homeless ! “ In a very aggressive manner. She had a minder circling round her until my friend came up and told them to “ Get lost “ 

Last Tuesday afternoon,  walking around the Christmas market on Fargate, approached by a woman, late 60's, walking stick in one hand, shaking a metal cup in the other wanting money.

No chance from us.  Didn't look that destitute & certainly well fed by the size of her. 

About a half hour later, bumped into her again in Sainsbury's on the High St.  This time not only did she have a basket full of shopping but also a bloke, (presumably her husband, given his age), a younger guy in his 40 & 2 small kids.  All obviously family by their interaction. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Last Tuesday afternoon,  walking around the Christmas market on Fargate, approached by a woman, late 60's, walking stick in one hand, shaking a metal cup in the other wanting money.

No chance from us.  Didn't look that destitute & certainly well fed by the size of her. 

About a half hour later, bumped into her again in Sainsbury's on the High St.  This time not only did she have a basket full of shopping but also a bloke, (presumably her husband, given his age), a younger guy in his 40 & 2 small kids.  All obviously family by their interaction. 

You should've told her that Tescos on the Wicker has a lot more choice, and is considerably cheaper.

Glad to see the beggar who assaulted me in King Street 18 months ago and her partner were brought to justice but sorry their victim, a middle aged woman, had to suffer

On 29/10/2019 at 00:07, Jim Hardie said:

Work.

And become one of the working poor, still on benefits.  0 hour contract, no security - that's even if you can get a job, which, as has been pointed out, is near impossible without an address and a roof over your head.