Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Legislation dictates that  in temperatures below  freezing anyone without accommodation even without a Local Authority  duty to house  is entitled to  accommodation provision so why am I still seeing people sleeping  rough in the sub zero temperatures recently? Why does Sheffield, unlike other large cities, not have a night shelter?

7 hours ago, Hots on said:

Some societies would put them to death.

We should be grateful that ours is such an advanced society we condemn the death penalty? 

Homelessness has increased by 165% since 2010, and many homeless people live lives cut short caused by the harshness of their life. 

We've nothing  to celebrate.

16 hours ago, woodmally said:

Not really it takes 10 to 20 minutes to arrest someone.  And I would be able to hazard a guess as to who is fake and who isn't but I know one group of people who know all the homeless people and all the fake beggars as they patrol the streets regularly. They are called the police.  What are you saying we should not tackle fake begging and let them get on with it?  The big issue sellars who face this problem and are losing money because of it would disagree as the fake beggars hang around near them.  The genuine homeless who you claim to speak for would also disagree as they are being tarnished with the same brush.

Well, I'm going to say that you've never arrested anyone, nor do you know anyone in the police force.

And as is typical you've failed to think beyond that initial act.

It takes more like an hour to arrest someone, but okay, that's pretty quick.

They then take up a cell, and some of the time of the staff.

They then need representation.

They then need charging.

They might require medical attention.

If charged they now need to go before a court.

Then it depends on whether they are bailed or not, but they might need ongoing cell space, feeding, heating, monitoring and so on.

Then back before a court.

So what do you imagine are the costs to the public, and ultimately, what public good is served by that?

11 hours ago, catmiss said:

Legislation dictates that  in temperatures below  freezing anyone without accommodation even without a Local Authority  duty to house  is entitled to  accommodation provision so why am I still seeing people sleeping  rough in the sub zero temperatures recently? Why does Sheffield, unlike other large cities, not have a night shelter?

This link leads me to believe there is a shelter in Sheffield. https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/housing/help-for-rough-sleepers.html

On 05/10/2016 at 17:35, hotrock said:

There is one of the Big Issue sellers that has been selling for many, many years, and if fact he brags about the fact it's just a means to pay for his beer money, :loopy:

and why shouldn't he buy beer exactly?

20 hours ago, catmiss said:

Because some prefer not to take up the offer of such accommodation. 

19 hours ago, TimmyR said:

and why shouldn't he buy beer exactly?

In fact, it's a lot like me having a job and bragging that I use some of that income to buy beer!  Which I do.  Fortunately my employer isn't too judgy about it.

On 06/02/2019 at 08:11, Cyclone said:

In fact, it's a lot like me having a job and bragging that I use some of that income to buy beer!  Which I do.  Fortunately my employer isn't too judgy about it.

Not really and some good arguments were put forward against this some time ago in this thread. 

Pretty much entirely analogous to it I'd say.  Why do you think it isn't?

On 04/02/2019 at 22:59, catmiss said:

There are options, as someone else has posted

However, despite being clichéd, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it  drink. 

On 05/02/2019 at 19:50, Sheffield87 said:

Because some prefer not to take up the offer of such accommodation. 

Bingo, some won't be allowed for drink issues, some won't for drug issues, some can't take their dog in, some won't be able to beg and so lose their income stream

On 08/02/2019 at 10:45, melthebell said:

Bingo, some won't be allowed for drink issues, some won't for drug issues, some can't take their dog in, some won't be able to beg and so lose their income stream

Some will have been raped / robbed/ assaulted / abused etc  in night shelters and similar.