Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

14 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Why should we help them...  Oh, perhaps, basic human decency?

Personal responsibility is the mantra of the privileged who believe that they're in that position because of innate capabilities and hard work.

Clearly giving people money (or food or clothing) doesn't somehow "keep them on the street" unless you mean instead of in the morgue.  Attempting to "force" them to seek help by allowing them to what, starve or come closer to freezing to death.  Is that really the approach you're advocating?

But its not helping them is it.  Firstly how do you know the money you are giving them is going on food, drink clothing etc and not on drugs.  If it is going on drugs you are enabling an addiction. Do you really want that? 

You clearly care about the people being on the streets so do you really think giving them money is helping?  There are plenty of charities offering help and support yet they choose to refuse to engage with them.  The ideal solution for them would be to engage with these services.  Whilst you are giving them money they are not engaging with the services.  You can only help people so much.  

Personal responsibility is not a mantra of the privieged. Everyone as a personal responsibility. It seems there is a culture these days of oh ots down to x y or z its not my fault.   Well why dont they get off their rear ends engage with the services and improve their lives. Oh no because its not their fault is it.  It never is. I am all for helping people who are needing help but if they dont accept that help. The teams of people out there that's trained to help them then tough I cannot be bothered to help people cannot be bothered themselves.

21 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Why should we help them...  Oh, perhaps, basic human decency?

Personal responsibility is the mantra of the privileged who believe that they're in that position because of innate capabilities and hard work.

Clearly giving people money (or food or clothing) doesn't somehow "keep them on the street" unless you mean instead of in the morgue.  Attempting to "force" them to seek help by allowing them to what, starve or come closer to freezing to death.  Is that really the approach you're advocating?

CJ Wright - public issues vs personal troubles. Its not new stuff but still plays out in society. Always easier to blame individuals rather than the structures within which they operate. As with everything there's a happy medium somewhere.

It clearly is helping them.  They get to eat, drink, maybe have somewhere to stay for a night.  You must have a different definition to help than I do.

You don't know what the money is spent on, nor should that be your concern really.  But if you want to make moral judgements then buy them food or clothing.

You can only help people so much - and you think the so much should be "not at all" on a direct level.  In the hope that it will "force" them to use other services.

Also, not engaging with authorities is very different to not accepting help from charities. 

Personal responsibility when used to justify why you don't help someone is the mantra of the privileged.  You lack empathy from what I can see.  You don't understand how circumstance and external events can affect people.  Talking about fault isn't relevant, why do you want to blame them, so it's easier to walk past without giving them anything?

You cannot be bothered, or more accurately, you make a decision to not help them.  How you justify that to yourself is both irrelevant and fascinating.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It clearly is helping them.  They get to eat, drink, maybe have somewhere to stay for a night.  You must have a different definition to help than I do.

You don't know what the money is spent on, nor should that be your concern really.  But if you want to make moral judgements then buy them food or clothing.

You can only help people so much - and you think the so much should be "not at all" on a direct level.  In the hope that it will "force" them to use other services.

Also, not engaging with authorities is very different to not accepting help from charities. 

Personal responsibility when used to justify why you don't help someone is the mantra of the privileged.  You lack empathy from what I can see.  You don't understand how circumstance and external events can affect people.  Talking about fault isn't relevant, why do you want to blame them, so it's easier to walk past without giving them anything?

You cannot be bothered, or more accurately, you make a decision to not help them.  How you justify that to yourself is both irrelevant and fascinating.

There was a report on Look North just before Christmas about the homeless in Huddersfield & I doubt things are very much different in Sheffield. 

The agencies & charities involved with the Huddersfield homeless, identified about 50 who were known to them in the town centre & sort to help them.  The report stated that about 2/3 refused all offers of help, preferring life on the streets to any formal accommodation, (presumably where they would have to clean up their acts?).  So for many, it's a lifestyle choice. 

Give the money to the charities, not the individuals & then you'll be helping to help those who want help. 

Offers of accommodation that come with restrictions that many home owners wouldn't' stomach are a bit fake really aren't they.

You can live here, but don't drink...

It's not a life style choice to drink when you're an alcoholic.  It's not a lifestyle choice to take drugs when you're an addict.  It's not a lifestyle choice to pursue self medication for PTSD or a variety of other psychological conditions that are common amongst the homeless.

And a narrative that blames these people for refusing conditional help isn't helpful as it is used to justify withdrawing or not offering any other help.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Offers of accommodation that come with restrictions that many home owners wouldn't' stomach are a bit fake really aren't they.

You can live here, but don't drink...

It's not a life style choice to drink when you're an alcoholic.  It's not a lifestyle choice to take drugs when you're an addict.  It's not a lifestyle choice to pursue self medication for PTSD or a variety of other psychological conditions that are common amongst the homeless.

And a narrative that blames these people for refusing conditional help isn't helpful as it is used to justify withdrawing or not offering any other help.

---------------------

Edited by woodmally

Please be sure again that its NOT SAFE in Sheffield city centre at night. I know 😞

How do you know?  And in what way is it not safe.

I was in the city centre twice in the late evening this week and it seemed perfectly safe.  I did see a drunk guy shouting something on Thursday night though, but nobody was hurt by it.

Glad that I was safe and wrapped up warm last night and decided not to go out into the city centre.

I have small pangs of feelings for the homeless guys out in it but when they frighten and intimidate me and are abusive to me and chase after me for money for drugs then most of my sympathy drains away for them....

Nope you won't catch me out in the city centre ANY MORE of a weekend evening ....

I'm sorry but I simply don't believe you.   Hassle for money - yes.   Be abusive - possible.  

But as for frighten, intimidate and 'chase after' you ...not buying it.   36 years i have lived in this city and never once seen a beggar (even the most drunk) go chasing down the street after someone.  

A firm "no sorry" and walk on suffices.  

If you are really so fearful as you claim then quite frankly living in ANY city is not for you.  

How do you cope with Chuggers and Overkeen perfume counter staff or even clipboard welding survey takers? 

Best stay away from shopping malls too. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

6 hours ago, GinTreeS7 said:

Glad that I was safe and wrapped up warm last night and decided not to go out into the city centre.

I have small pangs of feelings for the homeless guys out in it but when they frighten and intimidate me and are abusive to me and chase after me for money for drugs then most of my sympathy drains away for them....

Nope you won't catch me out in the city centre ANY MORE of a weekend evening ....

You've been frightened (okay, that's in your head, we can't dispute it), intimidated, abused and chased after?  I presume the last one resulted in the police being involved?

In my experience most of the homeless are friendly and polite to you.  Ive got talking to some sat on the street where i walk past every evening and chatted to them just like would anybody.  Talk to some big issue sellers as well in fact stood next to 1 Saturday i gave him 2 quid coz already bort a mag earlier in week and he said everybody just ignoring him and had only sold 1! Another man came up asking for money he said had been sleeping in doorways since before Christmas well his clothes were dirty and i suppose cynical amongst people could say he could have just put those clothes on but why would you?!! He said at least you havent ignored me most people look at him like he dirt.  In my eyes could happen to anyone fall on hard times loose your job relationship break up, mental health etc etc and i think if you can help somebody why not! Sad world if cant help fellow human being!!