Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

23 minutes ago, woodmally said:

As an aside I never saw the point of the British Heart Foundation anyway. Its mot like we don't understand heart desiese or how to prevent it. 

As an aside I think you don't understand what the British Heart Foundation does.

On 12/15/2018 at 9:16 AM, Cyclone said:

There are differing opinions on this amongst the charitable sector, we had this discussion about 100 pages ago!

Firstly I havent yet had the oportunity to look back at previous posts. However my comment was based on evidence on me reading posts and comments from a good deal of homeless charities and organisations ranging from the police that regularlly patrol the streets of Sheffield to Help us Help.  In fact surprisingly even Anthony Cunningham who works with Sheffield Tent City has also, eventually, come around to this point of view.   

3 hours ago, woodmally said:

Firstly I havent yet had the oportunity to look back at previous posts. However my comment was based on evidence on me reading posts and comments from a good deal of homeless charities and organisations ranging from the police that regularlly patrol the streets of Sheffield to Help us Help. 

The charities quoted on this thread - and Help Us Help - represent a minority of charities in Sheffield who work with homeless people.

Just in Leeds city centre today, no beggars here.

12 minutes ago, dutch said:

Depends where you go.  Firstly Leeds City Centre is much denser than Sheffield. Its more likely you will see them in Sheffield and secondly they hang out near the arches towards the train station.   https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/25-000-raised-for-the-homeless-in-leeds-following-death-of-popular-rough-sleeper-1-9480947

16 minutes ago, woodmally said:

Depends where you go.  Firstly Leeds City Centre is much denser than Sheffield. Its more likely you will see them in Sheffield and secondly they hang out near the arches towards the train station.   https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/25-000-raised-for-the-homeless-in-leeds-following-death-of-popular-rough-sleeper-1-9480947

When I lived in Leeds, the bus station and round that area was heavily populated with homeless people. I seem to recall the the Big Issue had offices round there, just behind theb parish church.

Yes just seen one near station very messed up.

There were lots of places I walked by, doorways and other type places where you would see homeless in Sheffield. But they were clean and empty in Leeds. 

There seemed to be a more than usual number of ‘messed up’ people in town today. If and I do stress ‘if’ that is a result of kind hearted people handing out ‘spare change’ that is a very sad state of affairs. If that money was handled by a charity to help people I think that could make a real difference (and obviously not creamed off to pay the salary of a bloated ceo). 

Edited by redruby

8 hours ago, dutch said:

So, what are Leeds doing right, that Sheffield is not doing?

And are our Councillors taking note of the answers?

"500 rough sleepers died in shop doorways, tents and parks this year," according to MP John Healey, shadow housing minister, (Politics Live BBC2)

"Rough sleeping has doubled since 2010"

"1 in every 59 people are homeless in London at this moment." 

Some shocking statistics here for what is supposed to be a rich, civilised country.

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

"500 rough sleepers died in shop doorways, tents and parks this year," according to MP John Healey, shadow housing minister, (Politics Live BBC2)

"Rough sleeping has doubled since 2010"

"1 in every 59 people are homeless in London at this moment." 

Some shocking statistics here for what is supposed to be a rich, civilised country.

1 in 59 equates to 148,610 people in London. This seems very high?