Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

26 minutes ago, Moonbird said:

Thanks for that I will get onto it, I hope that someone can help them as obviously things are only going to get worse weather wise now, it doesn't bear thinking about.

There have been quite of few stories of rough sleepers being killed due to hypothermia, or sleeping in industrial bins and getting squashed when the bins are emptied into bin wagons.

12 hours ago, Martin C said:

I believe that the hate and spite is not aimed at those "reduced to begging" but (very correctly) at those who "choose to beg". Until there is a rock solid way of differentiating between the two there is absolutely no way I would donate even a penny piece to any beggar. 

A nice get out that doesn't admonish those on here who make judgements about those who beg through circumstance; and which also presents itself as a  justification for selfishness.

The Homeless are not the problem. They are the result of the problem.

On the subject of beggars.  Watched a woman today, who I'd described as Eastern European / Roma gypsy, walking down from the bottom of Fargate onto the High St, not saying anything but holding her hand out to folk while shaking a tin, expecting people to drop money in. 

Guest makapaka
25 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

On the subject of beggars.  Watched a woman today, who I'd described as Eastern European / Roma gypsy, walking down from the bottom of Fargate onto the High St, not saying anything but holding her hand out to folk while shaking a tin, expecting people to drop money in. 

Poor lass must be skint.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

That's how begging has been done for thousands of years. 

I see so many, and I feel for them. Most look like old teachers, doctors, nurses etc. Pillars of the community. All brought down by the Tories :(

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

I see so many, and I feel for them. Most look like old teachers, doctors, nurses etc. Pillars of the community. All brought down by the Tories :(

What a load of old pony.   You can't possibly know anything like that.   "Most" of them??   Really??     All these ex qualified doctors, teachers and nurses just cluttering up the streets begging right???

Brought "down" by the tories my backside.     Just a lazy cop out. 

The way some people beat the same old drum on here its as if pre-2010 we never had people on the streets begging and homeless people.   Jesus tonight, whether we like to accept it or not - the fact is, its been a part of the fabric of global society since the dark ages. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

What a load of old pony.   You can't possibly know anything like that.   "Most" of them??   Really??     All these ex qualified doctors, teachers and nurses just cluttering up the streets begging right???

The way some people beat the same old drum on here its as if pre-2010 we never had people on the streets begging and homeless people.   Jesus tonight, whether we like to accept it or not - the fact is, its been a part of the fabric of global society since the dark ages. 

I think you'll find that *_ash_*'s comment was tongue in cheek. He was a very popular and well respected poster on here back in the day. Hi *_ash_*, good to see you're still in the land of the living.

Re your last sentence, yes, but this Government of filthy scummers is directly responsible for the current homelessness crisis.

I went to the supermarket yesterday to buy bread and veg and was presented with a flyer from a local foodbank ( with the support and branding of the supermarket)  asking if people could please buy a little extra to donate to those less fortunate and some suggested items. I gave them some tinned fruit, some jam (seedless raspberry!) and some tinned salmon. 

I'm fortunate. Even though I'm out of work at the moment, I'm relatively well off. I was happy to spend a few quid to help someone else out.

I'm bloody furious that I need to though.

It wouldnt surprise me many homeless are well educated and trained people from army and other respected jobs. 

Many of us here would think it most unlikely.  England is a land of more intense extremes than other countries I have lived, strange weird things are possible and tories are worse at it than their opposites.

I dont believe in voting for any party but I always vote to make sure the non tories get a little support.

Edited by dutch

11 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Was being sarcastic :)

9 hours ago, Halibut said:

I think you'll find that *_ash_*'s comment was tongue in cheek. He was a very popular and well respected poster on here back in the day. Hi *_ash_*, good to see you're still in the land of the living.

:)

I took it as such Ash. 

I'm currently reading a newspaper distributed around Sheffield this week, by 'Help us Help'.  It's full of info about the support that's available in Sheffield for rough sleepers (there's a hard core of around 15-20) and other homeless people.  http://www.helpushelp.uk

Although I know of some of the services,  I'd not heard of 911 project or the Sunday centre.

Edited by Groose
fixed link

15 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

the fact is, its been a part of the fabric of global society since the dark ages. 

And you'd hope we'd have moved on since then...