Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

I rarely go into town but if I see a street beggar with a dog, I buy food for the dog. It's a disgrace that the poor animal has to be used in this matter, it really upsets me.

10 minutes ago, JanetB62 said:

Hate all negative and sometimes downright nasty comments on this topic!! A homeless lad came up to me the other day he said had been sleeping and some1 had beaten him up well kicked him in face and stolen his sleeping bag. I gave him £2 towards.  Ok some would say im gullible but his face had dried blood on it would people suggest he did it himself?! I also buy big issues off some and some people say its funding peoples drink and drug habits, they only make £1.50 per mag have to sell hell of a lot to make decent amount! Ok some begging will be addicts but in that case maybe give them food or drink (not alcohol). I always think it could be a member of my family and how would i feel if people just walked by and looked at them like scum! Try walking in other peoples shoes instead of being smug! Ok could say why dont they get a job but lot of people even if not got habits have mental health problems so whose gonna give them a job! There but for the grace of god go i!! 

I agree with you Janet, the hate and spite on this thread towards those reduced to begging on the street is horrible. I think these posts say more about the people making them than they do about the homeless or people begging.

Edited by Mister M

There are homeless people in Sheffield. No doubt. That is why I give money annually to the Catheral Archer Project.

In this way I can be sure that my money is used wisely to help the homeless.

It also ensures that I am not feeding someones drug addiction to make their situation even worse. Nor am I providing money to the vile drug dealers. Wake up Shefffield.

4 hours ago, Mister M said:

I agree with you Janet, the hate and spite on this thread towards those reduced to begging on the street is horrible. I think these posts say more about the people making them than they do about the homeless or people begging.

I believe that the hate and spite is not aimed at those "reduced to begging" but (very correctly) at those who "choose to beg". Until there is a rock solid way of differentiating between the two there is absolutely no way I would donate even a penny piece to any beggar. 

4 hours ago, webbo21 said:

I rarely go into town but if I see a street beggar with a dog, I buy food for the dog. It's a disgrace that the poor animal has to be used in this matter, it really upsets me.

I also buy food for the dog, but the street homeless I've spoken to are devoted to their canine friensd and care for them to the best of their ability. In return the dog gives them unconditional love and companionship - something we all need, and also provides some protection at night.

One man already had a dog living with him when he was made homeless. What was he supposed to do? Leave the dog behind? He was hoping to find a new place quite quickly but had unfortunately been  disappointed.

Another man had been adopted by a stray. He said the dog simply followed him everywhere and so they had decided to stick together. It was obvious and touching how they seemed to bring out the best in each other. I swear the dog was keeping the man sane. It was so important for both to be loved and needed.  That dog was giving the man more help than any person ever had.

I love dogs and appreciate it's not an ideal situation. If I saw one being mistreated I'd do something aout it, but so far I never have. But I do find it odd that some people care more about the animal than the person.

I can understand why people feel more sympathy for the animal, they feel that the person has options and has made choices leading to them being in that situation.  The dog on the other hand, can't apply for help, can't get clean, can't get a job and almost certainly wasn't part of any poor decisions that lead to begging and/or being homeless.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I can understand why people feel more sympathy for the animal, they feel that the person has options and has made choices leading to them being in that situation.  The dog on the other hand, can't apply for help, can't get clean, can't get a job and almost certainly wasn't part of any poor decisions that lead to begging and/or being homeless.

Yes, I can understand that, but remember some homeless also don't have many options, and are homeless through no fault of their own.

I didn't say that I think like that, that's why I said "they think".

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It’s because they are slightly weird and empathise more with an animal than a fellow human being.

if all our species had taken the same approach we’d have been extinct long ago.

I am becoming increasingly concerned that someone is living rough somewhere that I walk with my dogs, I first noticed a tent there a few weeks ago, there appeared to be a couple of young Men that came out of it, I couldn't see them that clearly but definitely not kids, I was shocked to see the tent there still today, it is so cold today I cant help but worry...any ideas what I could do to get help for these people?

If you're concerned about someone sleeping rough, you can use StreetLink - this means someone from an outreach team will try and contact them, and try to help them with finding accommodation / other support:-

https://www.streetlink.org.uk/

1 minute ago, Mouserat said:

If you're concerned about someone sleeping rough, you can use StreetLink - this means someone from an outreach team will try and contact them, and try to help them with finding accommodation / other support:-

https://www.streetlink.org.uk/

Thanks for that I will get onto it, I hope that someone can help them as obviously things are only going to get worse weather wise now, it doesn't bear thinking about.