Beggars, homeless, street drinkers & drug users in Sheffield!

Firstly the windrush scandal is appaling and worth a seperate debate all together. I was refering to the criminal who is on the street with a sleeping bag and a toothbrush. Who caused it? Well him obviously. He made the decision to break the law so tough.

When someone comes out of jail with nowhere to go they need more than a sleeping bag and toothbrush.

If things go wrong again then it is the government fault and responsibility. At least in places I have lived before. UK has a dump them attitude even when these people dumped have served the army many years.

Edited by dutch

Who in the right mind gives money to these people? Buy them a small sandwich or a give them a bowl of water.

When you give these people money it goes straight on spice or high strength alcohol.

The people who give money to the homeless are contributing towards their addictions.

THINK ABOUT IT!!

I think your generalisations are far too broad.

Sure SOME will buy drugs and SOME will buy alcohol and did any of those ever promise that they would not.

You forgot to mention SOME will go home to their partners and kids after a hard days scrounging

and SOME will be immensely grateful for anything you can spare.

Oh and what is this ....You'd give them a "bowl of water" ... and small sandwich ..of what pedigree chum? Perhaps you'd rather send them ALL to the workhouse.

Who in the right mind gives money to these people? Buy them a small sandwich or a give them a bowl of water.

When you give these people money it goes straight on spice or high strength alcohol.

The people who give money to the homeless are contributing towards their addictions.

THINK ABOUT IT!!

Im happy to hand over my cash as its not all street dwellers who are addicts. I dont really care what they spend the money on anyway. What i so care about is that whatever they do spend the money on will give them some feeling of ease of mind....no matter what produces that. When ive handed over my money, (and no one has the right to tell me how to spend it) its then their money, and they have the right to spend it on what they want.

I met one chap who saved every penny that he collected. ( it took him 7 weeks) and booked himself into travelodge for 2 nights during the winter. So who are you to assume it goes on drugs. He was able to sleep , eat, shower and have peace of mind for 2 nights

Edited by Guest

Most of these people have chosen this way of life by not attempting to lead a normal life and show some consideration for other people. Most have been evicted for not paying their rent or rates or causing mayhem with loud noise and disrupting behaviour. There is no answer only the people can do by living a decent life. I have had experience of bad neighbours and it was a nightmare dog mess and nappies thrown anywhere.

What a staggeringly stupid and ignorant thing to say. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Was at cigarshop by old castle market yesterday, there was an old man who was shaking and clearly unwell buying scratch lotteries.

The owner of the shop told me that man just walked round and round the block because the restaurant he worked for in the kitchen had closed and he had nowhere to live and was too unwell mentally to get a place or help himself.

But he was not an addict or drinker, he was just unwell.

If someone told me this winter that man had died homeless it would not surprise me, unfortunately there is nothing I can do for him but if anyone has any suggestions that be great.

Edited by dutch

Im happy to hand over my cash as its not all street dwellers who are addicts. I dont really care what they spend the money on anyway. What i so care about is that whatever they do spend the money on will give them some feeling of ease of mind....no matter what produces that. When ive handed over my money, (and no one has the right to tell me how to spend it) its then their money, and they have the right to spend it on what they want.

I met one chap who saved every penny that he collected. ( it took him 7 weeks) and booked himself into travelodge for 2 nights during the winter. So who are you to assume it goes on drugs. He was able to sleep , eat, shower and have peace of mind for 2 nights

I have one question for you. Would you hand over your money to a relative or friend who had a drug or a drink problem? If the answer is yes then you would potentially cause them to die. If the answer is no then why is a person in the street any different. That money you give them coukd cause them to potentially lose their life either as a result of spice or alcohol or as a result of them not engaging with services and just fueling their addiction.

I have one question for you. Would you hand over your money to a relative or friend who had a drug or a drink problem? If the answer is yes then you would potentially cause them to die. If the answer is no then why is a person in the street any different. That money you give them coukd cause them to potentially lose their life either as a result of spice or alcohol or as a result of them not engaging with services and just fueling their addiction.

If i gave someone some cash for a taxi and it crashed and killed them, would that me by fault too?

Youre talking twaddle.

Anything could be "potential" as you put it.

If i gave someone some cash for a taxi and it crashed and killed them, would that me by fault too?

Youre talking twaddle.

Anything could be "potential" as you put it.

Yes but you are enabling thus addiction. If your fine with that crack on. I personally don't want to see my city filled with spice addicts and alcoholics. I also want the genuine homeless to get the help they need.

Yes but you are enabling thus addiction. If your fine with that crack on. I personally don't want to see my city filled with spice addicts and alcoholics. I also want the genuine homeless to get the help they need.

Looking at it like that, shops which sell alcohol are also enabling their addiction.

I don't believe anyone starts out wanting to be an addict on the street; desperation and illness forces them into those circumstances. There is only so much a passer by can do. Services offering support have had their front line cut, probably why the huge level of need is spilling out onto the street.

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 14:31 ----------

Was at cigarshop by old castle market yesterday, there was an old man who was shaking and clearly unwell buying scratch lotteries.

The owner of the shop told me that man just walked round and round the block because the restaurant he worked for in the kitchen had closed and he had nowhere to live and was too unwell mentally to get a place or help himself.

But he was not an addict or drinker, he was just unwell.

If someone told me this winter that man had died homeless it would not surprise me, unfortunately there is nothing I can do for him but if anyone has any suggestions that be great.

Desperately sad circumstances :(

---------- Post added 14-10-2018 at 14:32 ----------

THINK ABOUT IT!!

Nice....:rolleyes:

There is absolutely no reason to give money to a homeless person, genuine or otherwise.

If you want to help indirectly, give to charity, your money or your time.

If you want to help directly, then give them food or clothes.

There is absolutely no reason to give money to a homeless person, genuine or otherwise.

If you want to help indirectly, give to charity, your money or your time.

If you want to help directly, then give them food or clothes.

How about adding: "In my opinion"?

How about adding: "In my opinion"?

Ive had the un/fortunate chance of visiting charity head offices...Mercs, range rovers, bmws all sit neatly in reserved for management car parking spaces, so i wont be funding those.

Ill continue to help street dwellers. If its money theyre asking for, its money ill give. Its up to them how they spend it. It may not be used for drugs or alcohol, im not judging them like alot of you are.